What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've also loved this season of GOT.

Agree with Dany and Arya, wish their story lines would speed up but i'm also bored by what's happening in Kings Landing, you know what's going to happen, Loras is going to repent, Margery going to get away with it and HIgh Sparrow is going to die.

Tyrion has been so fun to watch, i don't get what his end game is though or what his purpose is, i'm afraid for his life.

I'm annoyed at the continues Ramsay scenes, yes we know he is the devil, i don't need to be reminded of it every week, though Osha's line about 'having seen worse' was kinda awesome.

and Yes I can't wait to see what Jon and Sansa do.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I wouldn't say that's an obvious result for Kings' Landing - at the least there is a whole bitter war to live out, and the possible religious uprising may be larger than the High Sparrow alone. Think Thommen is close to being converted too, which could cause complications. But the mind games and political tricks are what make King's Landing so fascinating.

From what I remember, Tyrion's endgame is to help rule for what he believes is a worth cause. He enjoyed doing that in Season 2, and thinks Danaerys is the just leader. Which of course means, unless there's major complications for him, he's gonna die soon.

On another note, anyone watching Season 3 of Silicon Valley? That show is getting better and better. The plotting is so good. In one episode they'll set up a whole storyline that could last the entire season, only to end it with a joke or surprise and send the story in an entirely different direction. The whole idea of trying to start a legit business and facing horrible compromises is fascinating. And there are some great comic scenes, like last week's when Erlich's epiphany is ruined by an endless coughing fit.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'm thinking of spending tomorrow in my AirBnB room just binge watching Lady Dynamite. There's a Family Dollar and a grocery store near me so I might just pick up some snacks and spend five hours watching Maria Bamford be funny.

Also, I saw she's performing at the PlayStation Theatre (formerly the Astor Plaza) on July 30th. I probably should have come to New York in late July and gotten a ticket (and Virgil's BBQ is nearby).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi wrote:I'm thinking of spending tomorrow in my AirBnB room just binge watching Lady Dynamite. There's a Family Dollar and a grocery store near me so I might just pick up some snacks and spend five hours watching Maria Bamford be funny.

Also, I saw she's performing at the PlayStation Theatre (formerly the Astor Plaza) on July 30th. I probably should have come to New York in late July and gotten a ticket (and Virgil's BBQ is nearby).
Dude, you'd better get outta that room and explore NYC! Netflix will be there when you get back home.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

What Banks said. Deny your instincts to stay in. NYC is one of the busiest cities, there's something always happening. Do tours, hang out in hostels to meet up with fellow travellers (hell, there's probably aps that now do this). So many comedy shows, theatre shows, gigs, art galleries, etc. Give TV and film a break!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I was in Manhattan yesterday. Saw the Village, Madison Square and Union Square Parks, and Broadway. Visited Toy Tokyo (the Mecca of Funko Pop), Joe's Pizza (Ben Affleck's favorite slices, had two slices and a Snapple next to pictures of Anne Hathaway and Kevin Spacey), Shake Shack (worth the hype, had a vanilla cone and Coke Zero), and Virgil's BBQ (BBQ nachos and their lemonade). I also went to some Barnes and Nobles and the NBA Store (found the Stephen Curry Pop, the guy at the register thought I should have gotten Kobe).

I posted pictures on my Facebook.

Today, my legs hurt so I decided to buy some peanut butter and Pepsi Max from the nearby grocery store, watch some Lady Dynamite, and relax. I'm visiting Downtown Brooklyn tomorrow (my room is in Brooklyn).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Finished Lady Dynamite. A Netflix comedy that for once didn't disappoint me. However, it will have an uphill battle finding an audience as it's both very dark in places and requires a lot of knowledge of Maria Bamford's stand-up. The cast is amazing though.

Now, I'm hoping for both a Season 2 and a Super Graham spinoff (the season finale explains everything about Super Graham).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The list (42/52, updated 5/23/2016):
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Arrested Development
Better Off Ted
The Birthday Boys
The Boondocks
The Carbonaro Effect
Children's Hospital
The Critic
Darknet
Dead Set
Dilbert
Eastbound and Down
Fallen Angels
F is for Family
Flight of the Conchords
Fresh Off the Boat
Friends
Garfunkel & Oates
Gossip Girl
The Greatest Event in Television History
Hannibal
Infomercials (Adult Swim)
Key West
Lady Dynamite
Miracles
Mom
Poker After Dark
Pushing Daisies
The Ranch
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Snapped
The Spoils of Babylon
Strangers with Candy
Tales from the Crypt
30 for 30
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
The Walking Dead
W/Bob & David
Woke Up Dead
Wonderfalls

Recent watches:
- DarkNet. After watching Lady Dynamite, I was in the mood for another Netflix show. I was going to watch Don't Trust the B---- in Apt. 23 but because I have sleeping roommates and that's about 9-10 hours of television, I opted for a shorter, less comedic choice in DarkNet. Here's a show that tries desperately to be the Canadian Twilight Zone but ends up being nothing more than a predictable, low rent show made solely to show people being killed or tortured. The only reasons to watch this show are a. you've never seen The Twilight Zone and b. if one believes the myth that nothing good comes from Canada and insist on watching something that confirms said myth.

- The Carbonaro Effect. Watched this on the LaGuardia Airport CNN channel they have (which mostly runs CNN original series like Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown and The Eighties with the occasional TruTV/TBS/TNT series and a 30 minute cut down of The Newsroom). Basically, it's Candid Camera with an illusionist theme. Pleasant enough but probably not worth binging on.

The American Airlines in-flight entertainment showed episodes of Little Big Shots, Superstore, Brooklyn Nine Nine, and The Carmichael Show (they have a deal with NBCUniversal to run the shows they own or air on their networks) but I didn't have my headphones out so I can't really count them.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Anyone else see GOT tonight? this episode was a punch to the gut, as good as the Hardhome, if not better. Easily the best hour of anything i've seen all year even.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Hold the door :(
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Around this time, pretty much every season I say GoT is having its best season. I think that may be true this season again. There's always something in the first three or four episodes where you're saying "come on, quit giving us this crap." Then it turns and makes you say it's the best show out there. This season, though, there has been less stuff you don't care about (the first few episodes of Arya, Sam+Gilley. Dorne, etc).
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I was a little underwhelmed, maybe because everyone kept building it up to be something big.

What it essentially was was the killing off of a lesser character that was given the send-off of a major character. Don't get me wrong, who doesn't love Hodor, but I don't need half an episode dedicated to explaining who he is. Also, is it entirely believable that Bran has a few minutes ahead of a whole army of undead running creatures? The next episode better start with Bran dead or else show some miraculous escape.

I did like how Danaerys's winning over of the Khal was sped up and we didn't have to see another scene of her rallying the troops. Her moment with whatsisface was nice.

Arya's story is still slow and boring. Her watching the play was cool, but not nearly enough to justify yet another training scene. Her doubt about committing was unconvincing.

Sansa is now my favourite character in the show. She is learning to be a leader after seasons of being treated like dirt.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I'm on my mobile, dunno how to black out everything.

So, SPOILERS BELOW! (For game of thrones)

I agree that this season is shaping up as the best, similar to W. I also agree with six about kings landing and sansa.
But I disagree about arya, her storyline has been ratcheted up big time, who knows what role she will play in the game, but I'm leaning towards her becoming pretty bad ass. The training scenes could have been handled slightly better, especially after a blind arya seems to do better than one with sight.

The white walkers and bran is getting very interesting. Though again, like six, I thought it was a stretch about brans escape. Pity max von sydow is gone now, friend of mine told me about a theory that bran is max. (Apologies for the vague names)

And 3 of my favorite character s in the show are still alive, though what role they have from here is a bit uncertain; Ser Davos, little finger and Ser jorah mormont.
Is little finger evil? Or does he really side with the Starks, based on his former infatuation for catelyn.

Couldn't care less about Sam, tyrion needs more screen time, and varys showed he can only act in one way, when he was told about his secret past by the red preistess, it was unconvincing.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Also, I am watching silicon valley, loving it, though I think there are less laughs than the first season.

Boosh, what's happening in NYC? Kinda cool, have u seen any thing out of the ordinary?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I've been back home since Sunday night. And no, nothing too out of the ordinary (unless you call people dressed up as Minions and Woody from Toy Story out of the ordinary).

I stayed at an AirBnB in Brooklyn that was nice, if a bit out of the way (Uber saved me on a few occasions). I lost my clothing bag at O'Hare and nearly missed my flight on the way (luckily, American Airlines found the bag and had it to me by the end of the first night). On the second day, I visited Manhattan and despite a $60 cab ride on the way (and a $30 ride on the way to the Brooklyn subway plus getting lost in a rough part of Brooklyn), was totally worth it (visited the Village, Times Square, Union Square, and Madison Square). On the third day, still traumatized a bit by getting lost, I stayed in and watched Lady Dynamite. On the fourth day, I went to Downtown Brooklyn and visited Court Street and the Fulton Mall area (basically, a huge multi-block sized outdoor mall). And on Sunday, I was at LaGuardia and returned home.

Didn't see any movies there (I considered seeing Last Days in the Desert, Green Room, and The Trust but I didn't have the time). Search Party was showing on exclusive at the Empire but I'd seen it.

Highlights for me:
- Toy Tokyo (the basement is the Funko Pop mecca, they've even got the rare ones)
- Joe's Pizza (Ben Affleck's favorite pizza, had two slices and a Snapple next to pictures of Anne Hathaway and Kevin Spacey, the wall of pictures also had Conan O'Brien, John Stamos, Mickey Rourke, Mark Ruffalo, and several other actors who've done comic book movies)
- Shake Shack (very popular custard place, I went twice, once in Madison Square Park and again in Downtown Brooklyn)
- Virgil's BBQ (Nick Offerman mentioned this place on Broadway & 44th, great BBQ and well-priced)
- NBA Store (found the home jersey variant of the Stephen Curry Funko Pop, the cashier told me I should have gotten the Kobe Bryant one but I wanted Steph more)
- Times Square
- Greenwich Village
- Strand Books (three floored indie bookstore in the Village, you'll need to get a $1 tote bag to carry your items around)
- Fulton Mall
- this candy store on Court Street that had Jelly Babies

I also went to three Barnes and Nobles. One of them was four floors!

I have several pictures on my Facebook account (mainly movie theatre marquees though and skylines, with the occasional Lady Dynamite reference).