What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to now

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: What's on the ol' boob tube RIGHT NOW.... or close to no

Post by numbersix »

Finished Season 2 of Broadchurch, which was really disappointing. A perfect example of a great idea for one season that got lost once there was resolution. Maybe the US remake will avoid that problem. Still, great performances by the cast, particularly Olivia Coleman and Jodie Whitaker.

Started Fargo, which is way darker than the original movie. Everyone is either very strange or very horrible. Can't help but find it compelling,though.

Anyway watch Better Call Saul yet?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I think Fox chose not to renew Gracepoint due to low ratings. Besides, they only intended it to be a miniseries (while not promoting it as one).

The Big Four aren't like cable networks and Netflix and give everything two seasons based on a pilot (**cough**Togetherness**cough**).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ah, I didn't know it was already broadcast. It totally fell under the radar here.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

David Tennant just has the worst luck in the States.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

According to Variety and his own Twitter page, David Lynch has pulled out of the Twin Peaks revival due to budget issues. However, Showtime will still do the series (possibly with co-creator Mark Frost heading things).

You think with Showtime's fortunes improving in recent years, the budget demands could have been met. But instead, they go and renew House of Lies (a show that seems to be one of the most hated on pay cable) and reduce Twin Peaks' budget instead of canceling House of Lies, giving Twin Peaks its needed budget and letting the rest go to other shows (Homeland, Shameless, etc). And without Lynch on board, what's the point?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

This is disappointing. I did have reservations about resurrecting an iconic TV series, but at least Lynch was on board (and it was going to be a mini-series and not streched out beyond patience). It's a shame Showtime didn't play ball, although they say they were still in negotiations when Lynch tweeted he won't be directing. Maybe it's a case of hard-ball.

Speaking of iconic directors doing TV, I just finished watching World on A Wire, Rainer W Fassbinder's 70s mini-series. It was excellent. It's a sci-fi series about a scientist overseeing a programme that creates a virtual world, full of virtual people, to test out theories (such as market trends) to help out the real world. But when a colleague dies and another disappears, our hero gets embroiled in a conspiracy that forces him to question his own existence. It's like a cross between The Matrix, The Truman Show, and Primer. In fact, The Matrix directly stole at least two ideas from it (one involving the overall story, and the detail of using an analogue phone to transport from the virtual world back to reality). It's quite mind-bending at time, and the distinct visual compositions can be pretentious at times, but you have to love the bravura of the director's vision.

Also, almost done with Season 2 of Bob's Burger. What a superb show. I think it has taken the mantle of The Simpsons (well, up to Season 10 or so) in having interesting character do surreal, silly things. Glad I have another 3 seasons to watch of it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Despite general disappointment over the fourth season, a 17 episode fifth season of Arrested Development is in the works. Meanwhile, the movie looks to be officially dead after years of talks.

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

I was extremely disappointed to hear about the David Lynch situation, but it does smell like a ploy to get more money from Lynch. Not sure we've heard the last of the negotiations on this front. But, I echo the "without Lynch what's the point" sentiment. It is his vision after all.

On a side note: been watching Netflix's Daredevil and I'm quite impressed. It's dark, moody and full of potential. I'm already looking forward to the other Netflix renderings of Marvel superheroes, all leading up to The Defenders. So far, so good.
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I tried, i really tried.... i have an addictive personality you see... i tried to not watch the leaked episodes. i failed. :shock: :twisted:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You mean GOT? I've only seen EP 1. Trying to save it to avoid a 3 week GOT gap.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote:I tried, i really tried.... i have an addictive personality you see... i tried to not watch the leaked episodes. i failed. :shock: :twisted:
I've been watching The Wire, so I think I have enough Littlefinger to hold me over from week to week. At least Silicon Valley wasn't leaked. You could watch that.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yea, that wait is going to be long, but i'm planning on re-watching the episodes with my wife, don't tell her i watched ahead. The first ep was a bit disappointing in my opinion, but i guess with a show that is basically off a year, you'll have a lot of re-introducing characters.

I hadn't heard of silicon valley, i'll look into it.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote: I hadn't heard of silicon valley, i'll look into it.
It's on directly after GoT. Half hour comedy from Mike Judge (Office Space, Beavis and Butthead, Idiocracy, King of the Hill) in it's second season. There's some pretty funny people in it: Martin Starr, TJ Miller, Gabe from The Office, Kumail Nanjiani...

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

that was funny, and speaking of funny, i saw the justin bieber roast last night. Martha Stewart and Natasha were hilarious

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Almost done with The Wire and trying to figure out what I'm going to binge on the Netflix/HBO/Amazon back catalog next. I've got a couple of months before Orange is the New Black season 3. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking:
Netflix: Daredevil, House of Cards
HBO: Oz, Six Feet Under, Veep, Deadwood, Jinx
Amazon: ? Are there any Amazon originals worth watching???