America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

So Smoothini gets through despite negative comments from the judges, along with Emil and Dariel, Jonah and Quintavious.

Kelli Glover must not have impressed viewers, and in retrospect, I think your prediction that she will win is a bit premature. She has a great story, but her stage presence is still quite a bit below that of Emily. If she hadn't gone last, she may not have gotten into the judges' vote, which she won over the One Voice Children's Choir.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

So now we have our Top 20. Which means either they are going to have only ten acts per semifinal, or the judges will advance four eliminated acts to make it 24.

Here's who's still in it:

Singers, Male: Miguel Dakota, Jaycob Curlee, Paul Ieti, Jonah Smith, Quintavious Johnson

Singers, Female: Emily West, Mara Justine, Kelli Glover

Singers, Group: Sons of Serendip

Musicians: Emil & Dariel

Magicians: David & Leeman, Mat Franco, Smoothini

Comedy: Dan Naturman

Danger/Acrobatic: Andrey Moraru, AcroArmy, Christian Stoinev

Dance/Visual: Aerial Animation, Blue Journey

Dance, Traditional: Baila Conmigo

Looking at this group, I think it's still Emily's to lose, and I have to believe that one balancer and one magic act will also advance to the finals. Quintavious is the only male singer I think that has a shot at Top 5, though Miguel could be a dark horse. I'd also love to see Dan get through, along with perhaps one of the two dance/visual acts.

My picks for Top 5:

Emily West
Dan Naturman
Quintavious Johnson
Andrey Moraru
Mat Franco

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I feel like I watched a different performance than everyone else on Kelly. I thought she was perfect.

That said, I'm thrilled with tonight's results. I think America got it exactly right. I voted for Smoothini, and am glad my vote wasn't wasted! Sad to see One Voice go home, but would have been sadder if it had been Kelly.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I do believe they said the judges would be bringing back 4 acts, but I could be wrong.

Here's who's still in it:

Singers, Male: Miguel Dakota, Jonah Smith, Quintavious Johnson

Singers, Female: Emily West, Kelli Glover

Magicians: Mat Franco

Danger/Acrobatic: Andrey Moraru, Christian Stoinev

Dance/Visual: Aerial Animation

This is who I think has the best shot at the top 10, assuming no more get added, based on past performances. Here's my top 10 favorites still left in the competition:

Singers, Male: Quintavious Johnson

Singers, Female: Mara Justine, Kelli Glover

Magicians:David and Leeman Mat Franco, Smoothini

Danger/Acrobatic: Andrey Moraru, AcroArmy, Christian Stoinev

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Really? You don't think Emily has a shot at Top 10? That surprises me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Anyway, Nick confirmed that there will be 24 semifinalists, so I guess we will have four eliminated acts come back after all.

Performing next week:

David & Leeman
Andrey Moraru
Aerial Animation
Sons of Serendip
Miguel Dakota
Paul Ieti
Dan Naturman
Emily West
Mara Justine

That is all they listed, so I guess we can assume that the remaining three acts are the "wild cards". Perhaps they'll bring back the four acts that lost the judges' votes.

And even without knowing who those three are, damn, what a power-packed show. I have to root for Emily of course, along with Dan and Andrey. Beyond that... tough choice between Mara, Aerial Animation and Sons of Serendip. (Sorry, Geez, I know you love David & Leeman, but I think there will be only one magic act in the finals, and it'll be Mat Franco.)

They also flashed on the screen that there would be a "voting twist". It was revealed that people could vote during the live results show to save an act in danger of elimination, which will probably replace the Judges' Vote.

Great to see Taylor again. Forgot how much I loved that guy. Loved the Illusionists, though I don't remember the two that Nick said started on AGT. I was hoping one would be Michael Grasso, but oh well.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote:Really? You don't think Emily has a shot at Top 10? That surprises me.
I think you misread. The first set of ten is who I THINK will be top 10, the second set of 10 is who I WANT to be top 10. I just don't like Emily.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Here we go!

Flight Crew Jump Rope - Heidi's wild card. They are sooooooo good at what they do. When they were jumping in perfect unison, so cool to watch. I don't think it would be great for an hour, but for a few minutes its so fantastic. Kind of agree with what Howard said, though.

Mara Justine - I'll never believe that powerhouse voice is coming out of her. I love her. She's 12, imagine where she'll be in 10 years.

Bad Boys of Ballet - I'd like to thank Mel B for putting this act back in the competition. It makes it easier on the acts I actually like. Terrible.

Paul Ieti - My opinion hasn't changed. Not enough voice to go with the story.

Mike Super - Fantastic trick! I still love Mike Super. So glad Howie brought him back. The triangles on the hands of the audience sealed it for me. Hope he moves on.

Andrey Mararu - he's incredible, but I don't think it is grand enough for a Vegas act, and for the first time watching him, I got a little bored. Stiff competition could send him home.

Miguel Dakota - This kid should be fronting a successful rock band today. He has everything he needs, the look, the stage presence, and damn that voice. He's the total package. He is better with his guitar, but he was still brilliant. He could win, but I don't think he needs to.

Sons of Serendip - I think they are phenomenal, but were better last time. Will it be enough to make the finals? I'm not sure.

David and Leeman - My favorite act of the night! They were HILARIOUS. I laughed more than most pure comedians. They have such great chemistry. Seasoned professionals. This is an act I could watch for the duration of an entire show and never get sick of, and thus, I think they can and quite possibly should win.

Dan Naturman - I think he's very very good, but he was better in the past, which might hurt his chances of making the finals. At this stage its easy to forget what got them here and focus on what they did in this one act.

Aerial Animation - I was disappointed too. I like her, but it was a step back. Its also a little too similar every time, and I think it would get really boring consecutively. I doubt she moves on.

Emily West - She just won me over. That was FLAWLESS. Why did her record label drop her??? She just needs a stage, and now, luckily she has it.

It's going to be TOUGH for America tonight. I don't know how many go through, but if we follow last year's template, it would be 6. Here are my top 6:

David and Leeman
Emily West
Miguel Dakota
Mike Super
Dan Naturman
Mara Justine

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

So the 6 finalists from tonight:

Emily West
Miguel Dakota
Mara Justine
Sons of Serendip
Mike Super
David and Leeman

I'm definitely satisfied with these results. I would have been happy with Dan Naturman making it, but he wasn't at his best last night. Every act that made it deserved it. Well done, America. 4 musicians and 2 magicians.

So for next week we have:

Jaycob Curlee
Jonah Smith
Quintavious Johnson
Kelli Glover
Emil & Dariel
Mat Franco
Smoothini
AcroArmy
Christian Stoinev
Blue Journey
Baila Conmigo
Wendy Liebman

Looking like a lot more musicians and magicians if you ask me. That's how we'll remember this season for sure, great singers and great magic. My top 6 from this list:

Quintavious Johnson
Matt Franco
Kelly Glover
Jonah Smith
Smoothini (but I don't think he'll make it)
AcroArmy

I think Christian Stoinev gets in (people love dogs) and Jaycob and Blue Journey certainly have a chance. If Wendy goes on I give up.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

A week late, here's my take:

Flight Crew Jump Rope - Very entertaining, but ultimately I knew it wouldn't be enough.

Mara Justine - To her credit, her dress was a lot prettier than before, and her past nervousness was gone. She is a little star.

Bad Boys of Ballet - Meh times a thousand. What a waste of a pick. The children's choir would have been a better choice.

Paul Ieti - Horrible choice of song, and I agree, he's just not good enough.

Mike Super - YES! That was a phenomenal trick, and no sign of Desmond! That was totally deserving of the finals!

Andrey Moraru - This is where having the dog as part of the act helps Christian and hurts Andrey, because this by itself is just not enough, much like the lady contortionist. It needs to be bigger.

Miguel Dakota - Clearly the cream of the male solo singers (well, Quintavious too), and I agree with you completely. He needs a great band behind him.

Sons of Serendip - I agree, they were better on the Chris Isaak song. Still glad they moved on.

David and Leeman - Love them. This is the year for magicians, it would appear.

Dan Naturman - He's funny, but not as much as last time. I guess this is NOT the year for comedians.

Aerial Animation - Too bad. I like the addition of color, but a lot of the time she was just standing around. Maybe this show will give her a platform for her art.

Emily West - She has to be the odds-on favorite to win. And she deserves it.

I'm also fine with the results, though I'm sad for Dan.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Jonah Smith - He wasn't nearly as good as he was last time. I don't like him as much going up-tempo. Ok, but not great. Howard was the only one who made sense.

Bailla Conmigo - I'll be honest, I didn't even watch a single second of this. I bet it was the same as always. Meh.

Jaycob Curlee - Very nice performance. Much better than last time. I like him best so far.

Matt Franco - How in the fuck did he do that? That was the best trick I've ever seen on this show. UNBELIEVABLE. This will be tough to top, by anyone.

AcroArmy - Awesome, dangerous, some stuff we've never seen before, I hope America has learned their lesson from last time. They should definitely go through.

Kelly Glover - Who the hell advised her that this would be a good idea? It is cheesy, and doesn't showcase any of her strengths. That was just bad. So disappointed. I felt exactly like Mel B.

Wendy Liebman - Still absolutely God-Awful.

Blue Journey - I just don't get it. It's like a cartoon but they dance poorly over it? I don't get it. What Kenichi did last year was so original and awesome, I think this is the product of that, people copying the visual dance act genre, but failing miserably at it. Damn I'm being tough tonight, huh?

Emil and Dariel - I love that they just love performing, love that they don't shrink on the stage, and that they are just up there having a ton of fun. They are brilliant musicians, and it was a fantastic song choice for them. I hope they go through, which going into the first round of live shows, I would have thought it would be crazy to ever think they could be top 12.

Smoothini - MUCH BETTER than last time, funny, quick, and incredible. No idea how he does it. Loved him. Yes, there is room for 4 magicians in the finals.

Christian Stoinev - Too much fluff, not enough substance. It was cute, but it wasn't WOW. Completely agree with Howard. We'll see exactly how much America loves dogs if he goes through. I think he dropped the ball. And really, what was the point of the box and second dog?

Quintavious Johnson - Have you ever seen a 12 year old wail like that? Holy God Damn. He's probably my favorite singer in the entire competition. If one of the magic acts doesn't win, I sure hope its him.

Pretty easy top 6 for me:

Matt Franco
Quintavious
Smoothini
AcroArmy
Emil and Dariel
Jaycob Curlee

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Jonah Smith - Liked him, didn't love him.

Bailla Conmigo - Boring.

Jaycob Curlee - Very good, but good enough? Don't know.

Mat Franco - Loved it. Really hope he moves on.

AcroArmy - Definitely awesome. I was blown away.

Kelli Glover - Very disappointing. She blew it big time.

Wendy Liebman - I didn't hate it, but I doubt she moves on.

Blue Journey - It's visual, what is there to "get"? It's artistic, and not everyone's cup of tea. I loved it, but I could see how some might find it boring.

Emil and Dariel - Great song choice, great performance. Hope they move on.

Smoothini - I'm impressed, but it may take a save to save him, like David & Leeman last week.

Christian Stoinev - Well, I'm on the fence here. He brought more to the table than Andrey, but not much. We'll see if Scooby can bring in the dog-lover demographic.

Quintavious Johnson - Wow. Just... wow. Loved his attire, and he took the ball and scored a touchdown. No way in hell he doesn't move on. I still prefer Emily, but if Q wins, I'll be cool with it.

My Top 6:

Mat Franco
AcroArmy
Emil and Dariel
Blue Journey
Quintavious

Tough choice for #6, between Jaycob, Smoothini and Jonah.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Snapple save 3:

Smoothini
Christian Stoinev
Blue Journey

So 2 of these 3 will move on, one will go home. I only want Smoothini out of these (and obviously voted that way) so already a bit of a disappointment.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Acro Army in, Baila Conmigo out

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Emil an Dariel!!!

Kelli and Wendy out. I'm pumped for this result.