America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Buscemi2 »

Is Tape Face supposed to look like Jared Leto's Joker?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Never thought of that. Tape Face is better at it, anyway.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I will try and get some thoughts on your list later, but be assured, I agree with every one that I was around for (starting with Michael Grimm's season).

But for now, it is AGT CHAMPIONS night!!!

First up, season one winner, Bianca Ryan - Amazing story, to go through what she did and to come back like that. So cool to see her invited back and overcome adversity and slay that performance.

The Clairvoyants are up second - Either they are all in on it, or they are just freaking scary good. So great.I hope they are finding success.

And after those two brilliant acts, we get one of my absolute least favorite acts in the history of the show, Sara and Hero - This reminds me of the dog they sometimes bring out to entertain the crowd at the minor league baseball games I go to. That's as far as this kind of act should go. Not this stage.

Back to someone I actually like, Uzeyer Novruzov gets his shot at redemption - AND HE NAILED IT!!! That was insane. Take your breath away stuff. I LOVE this guy.

The most recent act of the night is up next, with last season's Vicki Barbolak - It was more of the same from her, but hey, it works for her.

Time for some new blood (hopefully not literally,) Alex Magala - Holy SHIT! This guy is unbelievable! That was my favorite act of the night, BY FAR!

More new blood, we have Justice Crew from Australia - and man, I'm gonna be honest with you, this could not do less for me. If I was a preteen girl, I bet I would be losing my mind, but I'm not, so meh.

Three in a row for the international acts, we have the most well-known act on the show, with Susan Boyle, who I thought won her season of Britain's Got Talent and was pretty stunned to find out she lost - Man, this is fun. Every show is going to feel like a finals. And she absolutely still has it, ten years after her debut. Chills. Breath taking. And Mel B finally pulls the trigger on her Golden Buzzer, putting Susan in the finals. We only get to put one act through... this is going to be hard.

One of my all time favorites, Sofie Dossi - Absolutely incredible. NO SAFETY MAT!!! She was on her freakin' neck! I can't believe what she does. 17 years old! I can't say enough about this girl. I want to pay to watch her perform. I think this was a new favorite of the night for me.

Closing out the show with one of the best comedians AGT has produced, Preacher Lawson - Hysterical. I was bursting out laughing the entire set. I want to see him so bad. He's got a legitimate shot.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here we go!!

Bianca Ryan - Oh wow. I always wondered what happened to her. I assume she just fizzled out, but ... damn. I've always been of the opinion that Bianca, though good, probably wouldn't have won any season that followed, as the talent has just gotten better every year. I don't see her getting the vote to go through, but I'm glad she's clawing her way back. And I love that they put her first. It's poetic.

The Clairvoyants - I am blown away by these two. I love magic that I can't figure out. Will it be enough?

Sara and Hero - as much as we can be sure that Howie fought to get a plethora of stand-up comedians on this show, we can be equally sure that Simon fought for this act. No way this gets through. I will say this, I didn't hate it. And she got her moment.

Uzeyer Novruzov - Gotta hand it to the guy. To do the trick he failed at before and pull it off. My hat's off to him.

Vicki Barbolak - I just don't find her as funny as most of the show's comedians. She's a little lowbrow for me, I guess. Loved that entrance, though.

Alex Magala - This guy has done GT shows all over the world and really done well. The thing with this kind of act is that it's tough to watch it over and over again (or at all). I damn near lost my dinner watching this. But ... wow.

Justice Crew - Well, they won Aussie's Got Talent. I can't speak for the talent on that show, but ... yawn.

Susan Boyle - One British singer puts another one through to the finals. But I'm not complaining. Her original audition on BGT is maybe the most famous talent show audition of all time. The judges' reactions when she came out... do they really not know who is performing? I wonder... Anyway, I love that she's in the finals. Biggest underdog story ever.

Sofie Dossi - Grace, precision, beauty. I am in LOVE with Sofie. I am so happy they brought her back. Her late placement may give her a shot at the finals, but regardless, she's got a future in acrobatics. For sure. Gorgeous.

Preacher Lawson - How cool is it that all the best comedians this show has produced are all BACK? Tape Face, Tom, Taylor, Samuel... and Preacher. This guy gets me every time. It would be amazing if a comedian could win the Champions given they've been shut out so far!

GOD I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

So who's going through? Here is the order I would choose:

1. The Claivoyants
2. Sofie Dossi
3. Preacher Lawson
4. Alex Magala
5. Bianca Ryan
6. Uzeyer Novruzov
7. Sara and Hero
8. Vicki Barbolak
9. Justice Crew

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And Preacher gets the nod, beating out Bianca and Sofie.

Wow.

Love that Top 3, love the result.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yup, can't really complain about anything. I think they really don't know the order of contestants, because of the Golden Buzzer aspect. You don't want them "saving" their buzzer for a particular person/act.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah, I can see that.

Here is who is performing next week:

Ashleigh and Sully (dog act, won Britain's Got Talent)
Courtney Hadwin
Cristina Ramos (opera singer, won Spain's Got Talent)
Darci Lynn Farmer
DDF Crew (jump rope dance crew, appeared on two GT shows in Europe)
Deadly Games
Light Balance
Piff the Magic Dragon
Taylor Williamson
Victor Kee

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

PIFFFFFFFF!!!!!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I like Piff, but I don't love him.

Wonder who will get the GB. Darci Lynn is probably the favorite, though if Howie's the one doling it out, he might give it to Courtney. Heidi might give it to Taylor.

Honestly, I can't see Darci Lynn NOT going through. If I had to pick one act to join them, I would go with Light Balance (if they bring it). Preacher going through might hurt Taylor's chances (and Piff's). I am interested to see Cristina Ramos more than the other foreign guests.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Oh man...Darci Lynne is leading off the show.... I really hope they are willing to push the the Golden Buzzer right out of the gate, because she is BY FAR the most deserving of it. This girl is a bona fide superstar. No buzzer... So basically its going to be the buzzer and her. Makes it kinda anti-climactic.

Sara and Hero (British version) - Same commentary as Sara and Hero, American version. After watching Darci Lynne, it makes it even more obvious they don't belong on the same stage.

Light Balance - Ok NOW we're cooking again. I LOVE these guys. So cool. Loved the BSB stuff. Would have been awesome if they got the Buzzer, but nope.

Taylor Williamson - Loved him. Love his style. Love that he definitely brought his more risky stuff, more adult stuff, that you don't tend to see on AGT. I don't think he has a chance, but we'll see. I liked it.

Christina Ramos - I really did not like what she did with Bohemian Rhapsody, if I'm being totally honest. Just wasn't for me. She's got boatloads of talent, but I didn't love it.

DDF Crew - Holland must not have that much talent. It seems like there's one of these every year on AGT and they end up lucky to make the live shows. And yes, I said this BEFORE Howie said basically the exact same thing.

Victor Kee - He makes juggling SO cool. What a show. Flawless. Absolutely flawless.

Courtney Hadwin - Ok, so her package said she was going to come out and do something different... but this is pretty much EXACTLY what we've come to expect from Courtney. I thought for sure she was going to get the buzzer. I'm kinda thrilled she didn't. I guess doing an original was what she meant by different, and kudos for doing it.

Deadly Games - SO good. Absolutely freaking fantastic. They are amazing. Edge of your seat. I can't believe he'd want to throw knives at that gorgeous creature, but man, it is it thrilling, and yes, we have a GOLDEN BUZZER.

Piff the Magic Dragon - You know he is one of my all time favorite acts. His humor just hits me right in the funny bone. I'm going to see him in April. He is not only funny, but he's a genuinely great magician. He's my favorite act on this show. I don't think he'll get the votes, but he's already got my money.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I just learned that the "superfans" are in fact exactly 50 people of all races, ages, and ethnicities, most likely sitting in the audience.

I agree that Darci Lynn SHOULD be in the final, but there's a chance the fans won't put her through because she's already won. Gotta account for that.

BTW, which judge (or Terry) gets the GB this week?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Show #2

Darci Lynne - I swear, she looks more like Reese Witherspoon every day! And ... wow. Tina Turner?? I'll be honest, this wasn't my all time favorite performance of hers, but DAMN. Glad she turned it into a duet. Will she get the votes? If not ... it won't her career at all, so there's that.

Ashleigh and Sully - I think nothing short of Olate Dogs returning would mean a dog act had a chance at the finals. And even then, it'd be a longshot. Like Sarah & Hero, it was good. No way she moves on. Also: RIP Pudsey.

Light Balance - This is a SHOW. I'm so happy they got work and moved their families to the US. Their rivalry with Darci Lynn notwithstanding, I will not be upset if they go through. There's no other act like this in the competition ... well, maybe Kenichi.

Taylor Williamson - I LOVE this guy. Love him. He's so droll. That Bill Cosby joke had me on the floor. Really, though, that was by far the funniest joke.

Christina Ramos - It's funny that the only time I like opera is when it's on this show (probably because it's only 2 min long). She is incredible, but ... yeah. Call me sexist, but I don't like this song in a female's voice. If she'd done a simple, well-known aria, I would have liked it better.

DDF Crew - I can't really add anything to what you said. Or Howie. There are some talents where you can only do so much, and then it becomes boring. I couldn't watch this for an hour. Sigh. I'm glad Susan Boyle performed, because I'm not impressed with the foreign acts I've seen so far.

Victor Kee - I said it with Light Balance, I'll say it again. This is a SHOW. I'd pay to see this in a heartbeat. Can he buck the odds and go through?

Courtney Hadwin - That was an original? Well, more power to her. We knew she wasn't going to change it up when her "thing" works so well. Now that she's signed with Simon's label, I think she'll do just fine. I will say this - her stage presence has gotten even BETTER.

Deadly Games - You realize there are EIGHT acts tonight that was not born in the US? Gotta love it. And also FINALLY we got a danger act in the FINALS!!! Holy cow, that woman's got nerves of steel. Well played, Heidi!

Piff the Magic Dragon - It's taken me some time to articulate my opinion of Piff. He is a very good magician, but his tricks just don't WOW me like Shin Lim or Mat Franco did. He tries to make up the gap by being funny, and for me... it just doesn't work all the time. He has the personality of a bored kids' party entertainer, which again, doesn't resonate with me. It doesn't totally work as a comedy act or a magic act. We'll have to agree to disagree. :( But I love that he got his own show. AGT success stories make my day.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And Cristina Ramos gets in over Darci and Courtney. I'm disappointed. I know you are too.

Oh well. We can't get everything we want. This show has proven that time and time again.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hey Geez,

I just checked the Wiki page and saw that they've determined the lineups for each of the last three weeks. Time will tell how accurate this is, but I thought I'd post it here and handicap.

Week 3

Billy & Emily England - roller skate daredevils
Darcy Oaks - illusionist (Britain finalist)
DJ Arch Jr - child DJ (S. Africa winner)
Jon Dorenbos - magician
Paul Potts - opera singer (Britain winner)
Prince Poppycock - opera singer
Ryan Stock & Amberlynn - sideshow duo
Samuel J. Conroe - comedian (Tourette's)
Tom Cotter - comedian

Interesting ... the only two singers are both opera singers.

Who I hope goes through - Tom Cotter and Jon Dorenbos

Week 4

Brian Justin Crum - singer
Drew Lynch - comedian (stutterer)
Issy Simpson - magician (Britain runner up)
Keichi Okwuchi - singer (African plane crash survivor)
Kenichi Ebina - dancer
Moonlight Brothers - dance duo (Denmark winners)
Paul Zerdin - ventriloquist
The Professional Regurgitator - nuff said
Tape Face - mime/comedian
The Texas Tenors - vocal group

Wow. What a power-packed show.

I would love for Tape Face to go through, but he won't. I'd also love for Keichi to go through too because of her story and talent. After that, it's between BJ Crum, Kenichi and Paul.

Week 5:

Attraction - shadow theater group (Britain winners)
Colin Cloud - magician
Cosentino - illusionist (Australia winner)
Jackie Evancho - singer
Kseniya Simonova - sand artist (Ukraine winner)
Lost Voice Guy - comedian (Britain winner)
Sal Valintinetti - singer
Shin Lim - magician
Son of Serendip - band
Tokio Myers - pianist/drummer/remixer (Britain winner)

So, yeah, that's six WINNERS in one lineupo. And Jackie. Holy shit.

I have to root for Shin Lim and Jackie. There's just no one else that comes close.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Week 3

Billy & Emily England - roller skate daredevils
Darcy Oaks - illusionist (Britain finalist)
DJ Arch Jr - child DJ (S. Africa winner)
Jon Dorenbos - magician
Paul Potts - opera singer (Britain winner)
Prince Poppycock - opera singer
Ryan Stock & Amberlynn - sideshow duo
Samuel J. Conroe - comedian (Tourette's)
Tom Cotter - comedian

I'm going with Prince Poppycock and Jon Dorenobos. Outside chance to the comedians.

Week 4

Brian Justin Crum - singer
Drew Lynch - comedian (stutterer)
Issy Simpson - magician (Britain runner up)
Keichi Okwuchi - singer (African plane crash survivor)
Kenichi Ebina - dancer
Moonlight Brothers - dance duo (Denmark winners)
Paul Zerdin - ventriloquist
The Professional Regurgitator - nuff said
Tape Face - mime/comedian
The Texas Tenors - vocal group

Wide open. I think it could very well be any of about half these entries, with Keichi and Kenichi (funny how similar their names are) being the favorites. I bet Keichi gets the buzzer.

Week 5:

Attraction - shadow theater group (Britain winners)
Colin Cloud - magician
Cosentino - illusionist (Australia winner)
Jackie Evancho - singer
Kseniya Simonova - sand artist (Ukraine winner)
Lost Voice Guy - comedian (Britain winner)
Sal Valintinetti - singer
Shin Lim - magician
Son sof Serendip - band
Tokio Myers - pianist/drummer/remixer (Britain winner)

I agree, its SHin Lim and Jackie's show to lose.