America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Discuss anything related to TV Shows here.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: America's Got Talent Thread (pres. by Shryke and Geezer)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Yeah. It's been an interesting year, to be sure. I'll reserve my judgment on whether we got a deserving winner tomorrow.

1. Angelica Hale - She is going to be the world's best big sister. I agree she's probably not going to win (she doesn't need a Vegas show right now), but I can only imagine what she's going to be like five, ten years from now. She may take over the world.

2. Chase Goehring - He's crazy talented, no doubt about that. He's got a future in this business for sure.

3. Sara and Hero - Is it a good act? Yes. Do I hope she frees herself from poverty? Yes? Do I want her to win? No. Does she have a shot? (We elected Trump.)

4. Diavolo - THIS is a Vegas show. I don't think there's anything in Vegas like this, and I hope they're there for a long, long time.

5. Evie Clair - God, I feel for this girl. What a shame her dad couldn't live to see this. For her to suck it up and perform anyway speaks volumes about her strength and character. She's probably the weakest singer in the field that's left, but it doesn't matter. She's proved her point, and if there's any justice, she'll build this into a great career.

6. Preacher Lawson - LOVE the pre-performance packages so far. Oh, man, this dude is funny. How has he not gotten a break thus far? Well, his time has come.

7. Kechi Okwuchi - Spot on. Perfect song choice, flawless delivery. What a great night this has been, and the three best are still to come.

I like how they put the three clear favorites at the end of the show. None of these acts ever performed in the first half of any round.

8. Darci Lynn Farmer - Ohmigod this girl. What can you say. I want her to win. I totally want her to win. She's gonna win. Maybe...

9. Mandy Harvey - She's amazing. Tonight's song wasn't my favorite she's done, but ... wow. This season is all about survivors - hardship, trauma, death, disability, shyness, poverty ... every finalist has a story, but Mandy's might just be the best.

10. Light Balance - I would see these guys perform in a hot second. Wow. Just wow. This could rival Blue Man Group. I could watch this ALL DAY.

What a great, great night. One of the best finales back to front ever. Even Sara & Hero weren't horrible. I want Darci Lynn to win, and if not her, Light Balance. However, I won't be upset if any of them (except Sarah & Hero) win. GOD, I love this show.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote:
3. Sara and Hero - Is it a good act? Yes. Do I hope she frees herself from poverty? Yes? Do I want her to win? No. Does she have a shot? (We elected Trump.)

God help us all
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Well, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised, as every top 5 act was an act who never needed saving, but damn, Sarah and Hero top FIVE? Ridiculous. Angelica number 2? That was surprising that she finished above Mandy, but not entirely undeserving. It truly was the season of the young female singer. And of course it was Darcy Lynne taking home the crown. She's about to become a mega-millionaire, and she deserves every bit of it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

What a great season, and what a great result. Darci Lynne is amazing, and I hope her career spans decades.

Fighting Gravity? Came in third. Team iLuminte? Came in third? Light Balance... was there ever a doubt what they would come in?

I loved how Angelica kept leaving her spot so she could hug every single person as they left the stage. Like I said, she's going to be the world's best big sister.

Can't wait till next year!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Season 13!!

Here are the acts making it to the live shows.

Musical Acts:
Amanda Mena (GB-A), teen singer
Angel City Chorale (GB-JC), choir
Brain King Joseph, violinist
Christina Wells, singer
Courtney Hadwin (GB-A), teen singer
Flau'jae (GB-JC), teen rapper
Glennis Grace, singer
Joseph O'Brien, singer/pianist
Makayla Phillips (GB-A), teen singer
Michael Ketterer (GB-A), singer
Noah Guthrie, singer/guitarist
Us the Duo, married duet singers
Voices of Hope (GB-JC), children's choir
We Three, sibling band

Dance Acts:
Da Republic, Dominican hip-hop group
Junior New System, Filipino hip-hop group
Quin and Misha (GB-JC), ballroom due
The Future Kings, American hip-hop group
The PAC Dance Team, theatrical teen group
Zucaroh, acrobatic dance troupe

Danger Acts:
Aaron Crow, archer/swordsman
Duo Transcend, trapeze artists
Lord Nil, escape artist

Magic Acts:
Rob Lake, illusionist
Shin Lim, close-up magician
The Sacred Riana, horror illusionist

Visual Acts:
Front Pictures, multimedia performance group
Mochi, diabolo artist
UDI Dance, blacklight dance gorup

Comedy Acts:
Hans, burlesque drag accordionist
Human Fountains (WC), novelty group
Samuel Conroe, stand-up comedian
Vicki Barbolak, stand-up comedian
Yumbo Dump, Japanese comedy duo

Variety Acts:
The Savitzky Cats, cat act

There is still one WC act still to be announced.

Well, we know a preteen singer won't win this year like in the last two singers. But damn, there are a LOT of singers.

Michael Ketterer has to be the favorite at this point, but I'd love to see a visual act like UDI Dance break through and win.

A comedy act has never won, and neither has a dance act, and I don't think that will happen this year (unless you count UDI dance, which I don't).

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Live shows! Why is Tyra out here looking like Goldmember?

Mochi - I still don't think this is enough to go far in this show. I love him, I don't love the act.

Human Fountains - Ok, I like them. I think their dedication is phenomenal and I think it's really funny. But they shouldn't be here. Come on. This got a Wild Card?

Angel City Chorale - I got chills again. Awesome song choice. Wonderful performance. Loved this.

PAC dance team - Meh. They just aren't great dancers. The costumes are fun, but this shouldn't be good enough.

Amanda Mena - I think she's the weakest of the Golden Buzzers. She has a good voice, but I wasn't blown away. I think Mel is cranky, Simon was probably right about her being a part of a group.

Junior New System - I love these guys! Their synchronicity is perfect, and their personality is even better. I'd be very disappointed if they go home.

We Three - Again I find myself agreeing with Simon. This was a definite step back from the judge cuts, where they did a song I think could be on the radio tomorrow. Today, this song was meh and the performance was a little dull.

Lord Nil - He's pretty good at what he does, but I thought this wasn't the greatest act. Tyra narrating the whole thing was dumb, IMO.

Flau'jae - Easily the best rapper this show has ever seen. She's so good, she's got the story, and she'll have America behind her. She's a finalist.

Shin Lim - He might be my favorite act in the entire competition. He's so incredible. I have no idea how he just makes thing disappear, it is freaking mesmerizing. I could watch this forever. Finalist.

Vicki Barbolak - She's great. I'm not sure she's a finalist, but she's absolutely going through tonight.

Courtney Hadwin - Holy. Shit. Dude. I didn't think she could win when I saw her first audition. Now I do. She's incredible. She might be the most purely talented singer in the show's history. 200 million views speaks volumes. She might just walk away with the million.

The last 4 are shoe-ins. After that, I'm going Angel CIty Chorale, Junior New System and Amanda Mena to round out the 7. Lord Nil and We Three have an outside shot to steal one of their spots, but I actually think this one is pretty cut and dry.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

This is why I preferred Nick Cannon. Tyra goes out of her way to steal the camera's attention. Like the show's about her.

Mochi - You know I love the visual acts, and I'm only backing one this year. This isn't it. I couldn't watch this for an hour.

Human Fountains - Yeah, no. This was mildly funny ONCE. ONCE. It's just nasty. This is the third time, and I don't want to see them again.

Angel City Chorale - Great song (and finally, a song not involving Africa). Loved them. The best choir in AGT history. Yeah, I said it.

PAC Dance Team - I want to root for them because they're from Arizona, but ... no. They shouldn't have made it this far.

Amanda Mena - I disagree, I think Heidi's GB Mikayla is the weakest by far. Has a GB ever been cut in the first round of live shows? It hasn't happened often. I think if the judges have to save her, they will. I really like her.

Junior New System - Well, Filipina wife, so I have to root for them. Will they make it on this loaded show? We'll see.

We Three - Meh. They're okay. I wouldn't put them through.

Lord Nil - Yeah, Tyra's play by play really diluted it. He's good, but, he's middle of the pack for me. I doubt he'll move on. And what crawled up Mel's butt?

Flau'jae - The best rapper? Well, think.. how many have their been? I remember you loving Tone the Chiefrocca's "B-OO-T-Y" song a few years ago... anyway, she's awesome. Are there enough lovers of rap to put her in the finals? Not sure.

Shin Lim - Wow, this guy. Apart from Mat Franco, this may be the best magician in this show's history. He may not win, but I hope he gets his own show. He's sure earned it.

Vicki Barbolak - Loved the backdrop! Her set wasn't my favorite she's done, but we need at least one comedian in the next round.

Courtney Hadwin - Hmm. Can we have a preteen/barely-teen singer girl win three years running? Like you, I wasn't convinced that would happen. Till now.

So, seven acts will go through - five on votes, the instant save, and the judge's choice.

My choices:
Angel City Chorale
Junior New System
Amanda Mena
Flau'jae
Shin Lim
Vicki Barbolak
Courtney Hadwin

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

We Three over Flau'jae, what a crock of shit, white America.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:We Three over Flau'jae, what a crock of shit, white America.
Yeah. That was the only thing that was wrong. The other six deserved to go through. The Middle Three went exactly as it should have.

OMG, I love Darci Lynn. That girl is magic.

So, here is who is performing next week (from most likely to advance to the least)

Glennis Grace
The Sacred Riana
Voices of Hope
Noah Guthrie
Makayla Phillips (Simon's GB)
Samuel Conroe
Duo Transcend
Yumbo Dump
Da Republic
Front Pictures (WC)
The Savitsky Cats
Quin and Misha

And, coming in two weeks:

Michael Ketterer
UDI Dance
Zucaroh
Brian King Joseph
Christina Wells
Aaron Crow
Rob Lake
Daniel Emmet (WC)
Joseph O'Brien
Us the Duo
The Future Kingz
Hans

I'd love to see Daniel Emmet FINALLY get his due, but there are a LOT of musical acts this week.

What do you think, Geez?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It should be fun. Great that Daniel got that last WC. I can't WAIT to see The Sacred Riana's pre-performance video package.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Makayla Phillips - I wasn't blown away. It sounded weird with the backing vocals. You're right, she's the weakest GB.

Da Republic - Its a halftime show, not a million dollar act. I was bored after two minutes.

Noah Guthrie - He was good. I didn't like it as much as his past auditions, but I like that he did an original. Good song. I think he gets through.

Yumbo Dump - Ok what did we really expect? I love their dumb humor, but I'm stunned they even made it as far as this. The dolphin bit was funny.

Samuel J. Comroe - Very good. Great set and didn't mention his condition once. Loved it.

Voices of Hope - They are wonderful. How can you not smile watching that? How can you not root for them? I'm voting for the kids.

The Savitsky Cats - It was really impressive the first time. Now I'm just bored.

Glennis Grace - How was she not discovered before now? Holy crap what a voice on this woman. I think she could be top 5.

The Sacred Riana - Wait, what the hell happened? Did this happen on yours, where it cut to commercial during the act? I'm confused. It was all scary and she was backing herself up the wall, and then cut to commercial. Then they come back to judge her. Again, confused. Still, creepy as hell and there's a definite audience for this, especially with a dark theater and good scary well=placed lighting. She'd be perfect in Vegas.

Quin and Misha - I'd honestly have hit my buzzer.

Front Pictures - This is just ALL computer. It doesn't translate to TV, at least not for me. I was bored out of my mind. I'm sure its hard to create, but I'm not entertained.

Duo Transcend - A-MA-ZING. The fact that he dropped her last time makes it so much more real feeling. This was incredible. Love love love it.

My 7:

Duo Transcend
The Sacred Riana
Glennis Grace
Voices of Hope
Samuel J. Comroe
Noah Guthrie
Whatever, I really don't even feel strongly enough about any other to choose.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Quarterfinals Round 2:

Makayla Phillips (Heidi's GB) - So very meh. There's nothing distinctive about her voice at all. I don't want her to move on, but I wouldn't be surprised if she does.

Da RepubliK - Another meh. I didn't get the whole spaceship/camo thing. And damn, Tyra just gets more and more annoying. So does Mel B.

Noah Guthrie - I like him. I like his story and I hope he moves on. He's definitely the second-best male vocalist this season (After Michael K.)

Yumbo Dump - I like them too, but this gimmick has worn thin. This was almost painful.

Samuel Comroe - Great set. Love the guy.

Voices of Hope - Who'da thunk we'd have not one but TWO great choirs this season! I love these kids. Love them. And I officially hate Mel B.

The Savitsky Cats - Dumbest pre-package EVER. Well, you have to have ONE animal act on the show. But the problem is, they're out of tricks.

Glennis Grace - I wouldn't call her undiscovered... she's had several albums and enjoyed a measure of success in Europe. But I agree, she's awesome. The best all-around female vocalist this season (yeah, Courtney rocks, but she's still very raw.)

The Sacred Riana - That cut to commercial was totally uncalled for. Give her a show in Vegas before she hexes us all!!

Quin and Misha - Props to her for being this active at 71. God knows many of us won't make it that far. But enough of this.

Front Pictures (WC) - I like visual acts, but this definitely loses something in translation. I give them points for creativity, though.

Duo Transcend - Holy fuckin' wow. Good for them. They pulled it off! Go DT!

My Top 7:

Glennis Grace
Voices of Hope
The Sacred Riana
Duo Transcend
Samuel Comroe
Noah Guthrie

Not sure who I'd pick at #7. Not Mikayla, as we already have three singers going through. I'll give the edge to Front Pictures, I guess.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. Sacred Riana got axed.

I can't help but wonder if that jump-cut to commercial right at the CLIMAX of her act played a part. Sabotage by the producers, maybe?

That being said, Riana was fairly one-note, and this "trick" took a long time to develop. That being said, she's definitely Vegas material.

So:

Noah Guthrie, Voices of Hope, Duo Transcend, Glennis Grace, and Samuel Comroe get through on viewer votes. Well deserved.

Mikayla gets the Instant Save, and Da Republik gets the judges' nod over Front Pictures. I can live with that.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The Future Kingz - I think they are a good story, but it's just not big enough for this stage. On a packed night, they don't have a chance.

Us the Duo - Wow, that was a really good, catchy, original song and a fantastic performance. I'm rooting for them and I think people will vote for them.

Daniel Emmet - How this guy was ever cut in the first place is beyond me. He's just incredible and has been every step of the way. What the hell were they thinking? At least now America gets to decide and not these moronic judges. I think there's no way they don't put him through.

Brian King Joseph - GIVE THIS MAN HIS OWN SHOW RIGHT NOW AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Aaron Crow - Mel is crazy. Too long? She does know that the prize for this show is a show where you have to fill an hour+ of content by yourself, right? Anyway, I thought the act was fantastic. Dangerous, suspenseful, magical, funny. Everything you want this type of act to be. I officially hate how unbalanced this night and last week are.

Joseph O'Brien - I like him a lot, but he's absolutely dwarfed on a night this stacked. I don't think he has much of a chance.

Hans - So ridiculous and over the top, exactly what it is supposed to be. He was great for what he is. But I can't imagine him getting enough votes over the more talented acts that are performing tonight. He's very entertaining, and could do well in Vegas for sure, though.

UDI Dance - The judges are right, this was their weakest performance, which is really unfortunate,because I loved them the first two times. They went from being a borderline lock to needing a miracle.

Christina Wells - She's going to be a force to be reckoned with going forward. This was her best performance to date, and she's a star.

Zucaroh - Oh my God, dude. This was INCREDIBLE. They are going to make SO MUCH MONEY. They'll probably finish third, but this was so, SO impressive. I want to see them live, desperately.

Rob Lake - I think he's a great magician, and that last trick was amazing, but I think tonight I have to compare him to Aaron Crow and I liked Aaron's act better. Plus I prefer Shin Lim's style of magic. If he goes through I won't be upset unless he replaces someone really good, but I'm not going to count on him getting there tonight.

Michael Ketterer - STOP. THE. FIGHT. It's OVER. He got Simon to freaking cry (me too, I was welling up just from the package.) How does anyone, regardless of talent level, beat this combination of breath-taking voice and unbelievably powerful story? I don't see it. It's a really fantastic season, but he's the winner.

Alright, I'm going to take a stab at this:

Michael Ketterer
Zucaroh
Brian King Joseph
Christina Wells
Daniel Emmet
Aaron Crow
Us the Duo

Those are my picks, let's see if America agrees.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

QF Week 3:

The Future Kingz - With the exception of Hans, these guys were the biggest longshots to move on. We've already got two dance crews in the semis, and I seriously doubt they move on.

Us the Duo - It was nice, but I have to wonder, on a power-packed show like tonight when there are so many singers/musicians that deserve to make it through, will they? I think, if the judges have to pick between a musical act and a non-musical one, they'll choose the non. Plus, the early placement may hurt.

Daniel Emmet - I love him. He's incredible. I hope hope HOPE that for the first time this season, he catches a break, because he hasn't yet. WC's are generally throwaways, but he has a chance. Same thing, though - will so many singers tonight and the early placement hurt them?

Brian King Joseph - He's brilliant. No way he doesn't move on.

Aaron Crow - What a showman this guy is. Just imagine what he could do in an hour! And also ... fuck you, Mel B.

Joseph O'Brien - I echo everything you said. I'm happy he made it this far, though.

Hans - This was by far his best performance. There is definitely a Vegas show here. But this is as far as he goes.

UDI Dance - Yeah, this was definitely their weakest. They could squeak in if it comes to a judges' choice between them and a singing act, but we'll see.

Christina Wells - Holy wow. If it came down to her and Glennis, I don't know who I'd root for! They are so powerful and awesome. She has to move on!

Zurcaroh - OMFG. They are senSATIONAL! I would pay to see this show in a hot second. I love the story, the music, everything. They are a lead pipe finalist.

Rob Lake - Honestly, I think I like him as much as Aaron. Rob's less seasoned, but I think with some more work, he could have his own show.

Michael Ketterer - Should he win? Yes. Will he win? He's got to be the favorite. There's still two more performances to go. Looking forward to it

Will/should go through on Viewer Votes:

Brian King Joseph
Christina Wells
Zurcaroh
Michael Ketterer

Beyond that, I'm rooting for:

Daniel Emmet
Aaron Crow (or Rob Lake, I'm good either way)
Us the Duo