November Box Office Predictions

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

DylanG
Napoleon Dynamite

Re: November Box Office Predictions

Post by DylanG »

Buscemi wrote:You do remember that Coraline did $75 million back in February? That was stop-motion animation.

Also, I can't see Planet 51 doing well at all. First of all, independently-made animation usually flops.

Second, here's a list of all of the sci-fi oriented animated features that have opened since the success of Pixar's Wall-E.

Space Chimps (independent)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Lucasfilm)
Fly Me To The Moon (independent)
Monsters vs. Aliens (DreamWorks)
Battle For Terra (independent)
Astro Boy (independent)

Out of these films, only Monsters vs. Aliens did well at the box office. The rest either failed or failed miserably (especially in the case of Astro Boy, in which the animation studio went bankrupt during production and the film opened to just $7 million on a $60 million budget). In short, Planet 51 will be very lucky to meet the predictions that you guys are throwing out.
Coraline did do decent money, but lets not forget that it has the all-time 2nd highest gross for a stop motion film and had the benefit of being associated with Tim Burton (he had nothing to do with it, but I can't count the number of people I know who are under the impression he directed it). As well, the animation itself was vastly different than that of Fantastic Mr Fox. It was much more, for lack of a better word, CGish. Fantastic Mr Fox has a very distinctly stop motion animation style and I do believe it will negatively effect the films prospects, although I'd like to be wrong.

I think Planet 51 is a bit different than those other failures with the exception of possibly Astro Boy. It has more star talent, better promotion so far (I've seen quite a few billboards around the city) and what seems to be better animation. It may be independent, but it's different than the others in that it doesn't look independent. Space Chimps, Clone Wars and Battle for Terra all looked incredibly cheap and had dismal promotion. I don't expect it to do Monsters vs. Aliens numbers, but I do think it will surpass the rest of those sci-fi failures.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Here are my predictions

The Box 9/25
The Men Who Stare At Goats 13/35
A Christmas Carol 40/140
The Fourth Kind 12/30
2012 60/180
Pirate Radio 3/10
New Moon 95/240
The Blind Side 17/65
Planet 51 16/50
Ninja Assassin 18/32/60
Old Dogs 30/45/110
The Road 13/18/45

I am still very unsure about The Road. I think Ninja Assassin will do pretty well and be the kind of surprise of the month.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

Planet 51 is having excellent marketing compared to those other independent titles. Its almost as big as if it had been from a major studio.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

What J.I. said
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

delfinasu
Al Czervick

Post by delfinasu »

My predictions

The Box 8/24