"Miles" to Go!

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

"Miles" to Go!

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Holy Toledo -- "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse" is going to be a $100M+ movie. Wowzers.

I had it in the $45M-$65M range, $80M at the outside. Those of us who drafted it, I salute you.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/look-out-h ... 202517968/

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: "Miles" to Go!

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think it can near $50 million opening weekend. We've needed a fresh take on Spider-Man for some time now.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

If it does $47M or so OW, the film could hit $125M. That would be fairly damned amazing.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

With two weeks of no releases and families have already seen Ralph/Grinch (probably multiple times), this thing is going to be huge with kids and parents. Not to mention it's INSANE reviews and I think its opening can-MIGHT-MAYBE get up to Venom-levels.

I'm guessing anywhere between $40M-$60M this weekend....but would $80M really be that much of a surprise?

(Especially with ZERO competition. Mortal Engines is DOA, and The Mule really only appeals to hardcore Clint fans and octogenarians)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Almost anything Lord and Miller touch is pure gold. Most of their films perform above expectations becuase reviews turn out to be great which feeds into WOM. 21 Jump St, The LEGO Movie, even Cloudy... all did this.

I bet their version of Solo would have been great. Ron Hackard just came along and delivered something so unbelievably dull.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I wish Opie could catch a break. He came in cold, and took the thankless job NO ONE else would, making the unmissable delivery dateand shepherding the troubled production to completion. Its not his fault that Lord and Miller were fired, nor was it that Disney refused to push the film to Christmas. He came in as a favor to Kathleen Kennedy and took his lumps, and no one will ever let him forget it. No good deed goes unpunished.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I hear ya, but the proof was in the pudding. And that pudding was bland and dry.

At least Tony Gilroy managed to come out with something half-decent (even if there are lots of inconsistencies in Rogue One). For sure there's blame to lay in KK and team hiring a writer/director duo known for their quick-wit and subervise sensibilities, and then firing them for delivering on that (e.g. the scene in the pit where Han meets Chewie, which I believe is mostly Lord/Miller magic), but don't replace two of the most exciting names in blockbuster cinema with one of the least exciting!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

NicodemustheSage wrote:If it does $47M or so OW, the film could hit $125M. That would be fairly damned amazing.

--Nico.
If Spidey does that good opening weekend, it's gonna make much more than $125M when all is said and done. With the glowing reviews and word of mouth, plus the holidays coming, it's gonna have a terrific muliplier, so anything around $50M opening weekend means the film should be able to grab $200M total.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Yeah, I was being maybe a bit conservative with the $125M Total Box Office figure, but I also don't think that -- as good as it may very well be, and innovative, and visually remarkable, too -- "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse" has the sort of broad mainstream appeal of, say, a strong Pixar release, or a "LEGO Movie". I think this film will face some stiff competition from "Mary Poppins Returns", "Aquaman" and even "Bumblebee" to some extent, and while it may manage a big opening, I doubt it can sustain the hype, and will not eclipse $160M at any rate. I may be wrong. Spider-Man is one of the sure-fire pieces of four-quadrant IP in the popular culture, but many fans of the franchise aren't familiar with Miles Morales, are not necessarily inspired to turn out for animated superhero fare, and may be confused by the multiversal nature of the film's narrative. I would be pleased to be proven wrong, however... I am a big, BIG fan of Miles. ;)

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

In other news: I smell a Special Achievement Oscar for Technical Innovation in the offing. Or maybe it's just my Spidey-sense.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/sony-gets- ... 202518373/

--Nico.
Last edited by NicodemustheSage on December 14th, 2018, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I remain, as always.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

A $55M-plus opening for "Spidey"? It could happen.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/spider-man ... 202520137/

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Early estimates have it taking in $35 million for the weekend. On par with what Sony expected.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.