The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by undeadmonkey »

It's weird that Coco has Thanksgiving all to itself, but i guess the previous weeks are a bit crowded.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Roman Israel Esq. is going wide on the 22nd as well.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Magnolia has finally given a date to In the Fade: December 27th. At this point, it's probably not competing for awards (mixed reviews and a crowded Best Actress race).

Meanwhile, Lionsgate has picked up domestic rights to three Studiocanal titles: Hard Powder (the In Order for Disappearance remake), Shaun the Sheep Movie 2, and The Mercy (aka Deep Water, the long-delayed Colin Firth drama). Sounds like they may indeed also go after Paddington 2 if the US rights are seized from the Weinstein dumpster fire.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I still don't see a poster for White Boy Rick OR Extinction. Are these going to pack up and move?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Extinction has a trailer about to drop, possibly as a suggested programming with Murder on the Orient Express or Justice League (though a delay to Super Bowl weekend wouldn't be surprising as it's looking like God Particle will get pushed again) while White Boy Rick should have a trailer with Roman J. Israel, Esq. (the only other likely Sony trailers with this one are All the Money in the World, Proud Mary, and Alpha and the first's probably getting pushed due to the Spacey allegations).

Speaking of Super Bowl weekend, I could see The Hurricane Heist moving up a week to avoid Clint's new one (I can also see The 15:17 to Paris getting the IMAX screens on February 9th). The only other movie scheduled for February 2nd besides God Particle and Winchester is a supernatural film called Every Day, which sounds like Twilight with ghosts and I'll be surprised if MGM (distributing through Orion instead of releasing it in the Annapurna deal) can get even get it in 1,000 theatres (edit: Every Day has been pushed to 4/27/2018, a move likely for the best).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not surprisingly, Sony has announced they are considering pushing All the Money in the World back to next year. In addition, its AFI Fest screening may be canceled.

Meanwhile, rumors have circulated that Disney may buy most of Fox. However, there are antitrust complications. (Edit: rumors now debunked.)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

It's not debunked. There are talks, just nothing has been set in stone.

I'm not sure what to think of it.

Disney's strategy is weird, instead of making their own movies, lets just buy other people's successful movies.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Sony just confirmed that they're canceling the AFI Fest premiere of All the Money in the World, but are going to release it as planned on December 22nd.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

No date yet, but production has begun on Luc Besson's next film, an action film titled Anna. Interestingly, Lionsgate will release this one rather than it being part of the STX/EuropaCorp deal which runs until 2020 (this may be a similar arrangement to Lucy, which Universal released domestically outside of the previous EuropaCorp deal with the now-defunct Relativity).

Meanwhile, Smallfoot has been pushed back two weeks to 9/28/2018. This places it against another comedy (Night School) and another family-friendly adventure film (The Kid Who Would Be King). Would not be surprised to see the latter change dates.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New release date:

Forever My Girl 1/19/2018 (from 1/26/2018)

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

transformers2 wrote:Sony just confirmed that they're canceling the AFI Fest premiere of All the Money in the World, but are going to release it as planned on December 22nd.
Apparently now they're replacing Spacey with Christopher Plummer and re-shooting all his scenes (but are still trying to make the December 22nd release date). Absolutely crazy.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

No way they'll make the date now. Reshoots, especially on a period film with lots of makeup effects, take time. They won't have a finished film in just six weeks. In addition, Scott's not getting any younger and working around the clock at his age poses a serious health risk.

Sony would be safer to push the film to late summer and forget about beating Danny Boyle's Getty miniseries to release.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

They're saying Spacey's scenes had taken no more than 10 days to film so they'll be able to. It seems crazy though.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

But even with 10 days shooting you have to wrangel the dates of all the other cast, as well as edit, grade, and mix those scenes. While possible to make it, it's very unlikely it'll hit the December release date. Better to push to Spring anyway, because there's too much competition that weekend.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah, it seems highly unlikely.Their release date is six weeks away.
Fluctuat nec mergitur