The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

Apparently, the untitled New Line horror film scheduled for 9/7/2018 will be a thriller called The Children, which was produced by James Wan and is currently in post. Of course, Warner Bros. has financed a few horror films in the past (The Duffer Brothers' Hidden, Within, The Factory) only to sit on them and send them straight-to-DVD years later.

Meanwhile, the new Men in Black has been delayed one month to 6/14/2019 (from 5/17/2019). I bet Sony's wanting some 90's nostalgia appeal.

Edit: the second untitled A24 horror film (the one that lost its date) is now titled Hereditary.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Two new Entertainment Studios dates:

Animal Crackers 4/27/2018 (from 5/4/2018)
Replicas 8/24/2018

So who knows what that 6/15/2018 title is, unless it was supposed to be Replicas.

Edit: the Weinstein titles have officially lost their dates. And apparently, Sony never did go through with buying Mary Magdalene (and I can't see Universal buying it though they have international rights).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I wonder if Karl Hungus has come to fix the cable? Because the April 20th logjam has cleared some as Overboard has moved up one week to 4/13/2018.

And the God Particle ad campaign has finally begun with some viral marketing, so it looks like its date will stick.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, it's officially official.

War With Grandpa, The Upside, and Mary Magdalene all get shuffled into the TBA/DOA bin.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bleecker Street will release Wash Westmoreland's Colette later this year. 30 West, who recently bought a large share of Neon, will assist in the release.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

In an early contender for the biggest ripoff at Sundance, Neon and the Russo Brothers have paid $10 million for Assassination Nation. I can't see this making more than a million theatrically.

Neon also picked up Monsters & Men (formerly titled Monster), a more likely contender to make its money back, and will co-distribute Revenge with Shudder (Neon gets theatrical and VOD, Shudder gets pay cable and possibly all other rights).

Other pick-ups:
America to Me: Starz
Beast: Roadside Attractions
Believer: HBO
Bodied: YouTube
Colette: Bleecker Street (mentioned earlier)
The Guilty: Magnolia
Hearts Beat Loud: Sony (international, domestic still up for grabs)
The King: Oscilloscope
Leave No Trace: IFC (international, domestic still up for grabs)
The Price of Everything: HBO
Search: Sony
Selling Allred: Netflix

Meanwhile, Barbie has been pushed to 5/8/2020 (from 8/8/2018). So it looks like Anne Hathaway's still attached.

More Sony dates:
Slenderman 8/24/2018 (from 5/18/2018)
The Girl in the Spider's Web 11/9/2018 (from 10/19/2018)
Holmes and Watson 12/21/2018 (from 11/9/2018)
Cadaver TBA 2018 (from 8/24/2018)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And another Paramount movie might be heading the path of Netflix. Rumors have circulated that Netflix might take God Particle off Paramount's hands. I wonder if the same could be true about Overlord (long rumored to be the fourth Cloverfield entry).

Also, the reasons for the multiple delays have been revealed by The Hollywood Reporter. The film wasn't screening well (much like Annihilation) and J.J. Abrams offered to improve it. However, his work with Star Wars delayed his ability to do so.

Meanwhile with the buzz Hereditary is getting out of Sundance, it will be interesting to see if this becomes the untitled A24 film on 3/16/2018 and Slice goes to the TBA pile.

Lastly, a few more Sony dates:
Superfly 6/15/2018
Untitled Phil Lord/Chris Miller Animated Project 2/7/2020

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Neon has now picked up Three Identical Strangers. This will likely be a Super Ltd. release.

Gunpowder & Sky will release Hearts Beat Loud domestically. I wouldn't expect a very big release with this one.

And RLJ Entertainment will release the long-delayed Terminal. It probably won't report box office.

Lastly, Universal has scheduled Upgrade for a 6/1/2018 release. So that date is no longer empty. (Edit: STX will open Adrift on the same day.)

Edit: The Orchard and MoviePass will jointly distribute American Animals. Let's hope MoviePass does better at distribution than Apple (an attempt that went nowhere as they wanted all G-rated movies).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

More Sundance deals:

Blindspotting: Lionsgate
RBG: Magnolia
Spheres (VR project): CityLights (a new start-up recently formed for such projects)

A number of major titles remain without deals (Blaze, I Think We're Alone Now, Juliet Naked, Lizzie, The Tale) and Netflix has been mostly quiet (Amazon is currently planning to focus on bigger-budgeted films and hasn't been expected to be a player this year). There is a possibility that some titles could drop in price or not get picked up at all (such as that Michelle Pfeiffer film that only got distribution this month).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ready Player One will now open one day earlier on 3/29/2018. Meanwhile, Neon will finally open Gemini on 3/30/2018.

And more Sundance pickups:
Eighth Grade: A24
Lizzie: Saban (will team up with Roadside Attractions for theatrical)
Puzzle: Sony Pictures Classics
Sorry to Bother You: Annapurna

Also, I got Monster and Monsters and Men confused. Turns out, they are two different films and Monster remains without a deal.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A new distributor called Mirror will release Dog Days wide on 8/24/2018 in a joint venture with LD Entertainment.

Meanwhile, Hereditary will open wide on 6/8/2018 (from 3/16/2018).

Speaking of late season delays, Show Dogs has been pushed again to 5/18/2018 (from 4/6/2018).

Lastly, HBO has bought The Tale, taking it out of the Oscar race. However, it is expected to compete for Emmys.

Edit: Bleecker Street has picked up the domestic rights to Leave No Trace.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Due to the latest backlash against Woody Allen and recent changes in Amazon's distribution strategy, his next film, Rainy Day in New York, may be shelved and never released (well, until some small outfit gives the right price).

Probably no big loss as Wonder Wheel was one of his worst (and Selena Gomez had a big role in this one).

And in Sundance news, HBO has picked up the prison documentary The Sentence. It will hit television later this year.

Edit: Netflix has officially picked up God Particle. The first trailer will be shown during the Super Bowl. Also, MGM will open Operation Finale on 9/21/2018 while Sony has moved Vivo up to 11/6/2010 (from 12/18/2018).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

STX has scheduled an untitled action film at 1/25/2019. I'm convinced this is Peppermint, the Jennifer Garner revenge film currently filming.

Meanwhile, it looks like The Rhythm Section will be pushed to later in 2019 as an injury suffered by Blake Lively has shut down filming. Filming is not expected to resume until July.

In the process, I wonder if Paramount might consider picking up Nancy (another Eon production and a Sundance title that remains without distribution) to fill the void.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Amusement Park might get pushed back from its 3/15/2019 date, as the director just got fired after being accused of sexual harassment. This is the second Paramount Animation project to be rocked by this.

Between this, selling projects to Netflix, and other delays (besides The Rhythm Section, the third SpongeBob got pushed due to Stephen Hillenburg's battle with ALS), will Paramount have anything left to release in the next few years?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

William Friedkin's new film, The Devil and Father Amorth, finally got a 4/20/2018 date. The Orchard is distributing so it looks to be a limited release.

The Orchard has also scheduled Kings for a 4/27/2018 opening so it seems as if this never opened in December as originally planned.

Edit: Roadside Attractions will release Juliet, Naked. I guess they figure this to be another Big Sick.