The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

The first week of November is almost never empty and even with the solid trailer, I'm sure there will be some reluctance over whether or not a Boseman-less Black Panther will do as well as the first. Something's going to move there.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wakanda Forever move to the 4th. If any Searchlight release moves, I think it might be See How They Run, which is opening in a very crowded frame.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Remember when Tim Burton was planning an Addams Family movie with Illumination? It looks like it's been revived as a Netflix series called Wednesday, with Burton directing all the episodes. It will premiere towards the end of the year.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

We're getting yet another reissue with additional footage for Labor Day weekend. Spider-Man: No Way Home will come back in an longer version with deleted scenes added back in and probably some Across the Spider-Verse-related things as well.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Cineworld, the parent company of Regal, has filed for Chapter 11. Looks like we're going to see some theatre closings and possibly some other chains getting some of their less desirable locations.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

My nearby 5-screen arthouse cinema is owned by them, and I could definitely see it shutting down, which would be awful

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

They struck a deal to buy Canada's evil monopoly theatre chain (Cineplex) a few years back, but then after Covid they got cold feet and cancelled the deal, Elon-Musk style, got sued, and were ordered to pay out $1.24 billion as compensation. An extra $1.24 billion in money owed during the middle of a pandemic was probably the final straw.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I feel bad owing my friends a pint, let alone 1.2 billion

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

These theatre chains have no idea of what's going to make money and what won't. How else do you explain many of them's refusal to play day-and-date but have no problem with the numerous Evangelical films that only appeal to 5-10 people but are expected to fill auditoriums for two weeks?

A lot of these places go broke because of the parent company's own incompetence, not just pandemics and product shortages.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

For sure, the orders from the top don't reflect the demand from the local, hence the empty cinemas

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Which is another reason why you should always support your local, independent cinema, if you're lucky enough to have one, before the corporate juggernauts drive them all out of business.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like A24 found their other awards movie, as they've started to release material for The Inspection, which has been selected by both the Toronto and New York festivals. No date yet but if the end result's any good, this might be get platformed towards the end of the year.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Remember that Tilda Swinton movie that was supposedly only going play in theatres one city at a time forever and ever and never appear on home video or streaming? Well, it's getting a Blu-Ray release in the UK later this month, and it's apparently already streaming in Australia.

This was the blurb that came with the film when it played in Vancouver. I always assumed this was a transparent lie and a desperate attempt to generate some buzz for a film that was never going to draw much attention in theatres.
From now until the end of time, insists Neon, Memoria will screen “in front of only one solitary audience at any given time,” moving “from city to city, theater to theater, week by week.” There will never be a release on Blu-ray or DVD, and the film will never stream on any service. “The only means of experiencing Memoria will be in theaters . . . forever.”

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I saw some Redditors in the Boutique Blu-ray thread got the UK disc last week. I'm convinced that "in theatres forever" thing was all hype by Neon (who ironically did have some DVD screeners pressed for Oscar voters in a larger version of the Year 5 box set that's available on Neon's website), as it looks like no such agreement existed in Europe or Australia. I would not be surprised if Neon licensed it to Criterion at some point.

Memoria played near me last week but I never got around to seeing it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Investigation arrives on November 18th.

Meanwhile, it looks Decal will release the latest Moorhead & Benson ego trip, Something in the Dirt, through their distribution deal with XYZ Films.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on August 23rd, 2022, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.