The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

Phantom Thread will be getting 70mm prints in select markets (New York and Los Angeles on Christmas Day, San Francisco, Chicago, and Austin on January 12th). Though it's going to be a blow-up, it should look better than Murder on the Orient Express.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New date:

Detective Pikachu 5/10/2019

I wonder if we'll see Detective Pikachu v. Deadpool: Dawn of Ryan Reynolds if this is a hit.

Meanwhile, Disney should be happy that The Nutcracker and the Four Realms won't be opening until November. Joe Johnston has been brought in to direct six and a half weeks of reshoots (this also makes me wonder if he'll get credited with Lasse Hallstrom).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Before I Wake will finally hit US Netflix on January 5th, more than four years after it finished filming. You think that they would have saved us the trouble and just released it at the same time as the international release.

Meanwhile, Fox Searchlight's getting Melissa McCarthy back in the Oscar race as they will open Can You Ever Forgive Me? on 10/19/2018. I wonder if this will be next year's I, Tonya.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on December 15th, 2017, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Amazon will open Gus Van Sant's Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot on 5/11/2018. I'm not expecting much after opening weekend on this one (has Van Sant made anything good since Milk?).

Meanwhile, YouTube Red will not release Super Size Me 2 after all as Morgan Spurlock has admitted to sexual harassment in the past. I'm guessing this will be self-distributed now.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Finding Your Feet (romantic comedy with Imelda Staunton and Timothy Spall) 3/30/2018
The Miracle Season 4/13/2018 (Annapurna will distribute this volleyball drama for LD Entertainment)
Untitled A24 Horror Film II TBA 2018 (from 4/27/2018) (I'm expecting A Prayer Before Dawn to go here)
The Addams Family (animated adaptation from MGM, Oscar Isaac is in talks to voice Gomez) 10/11/2019
G.I. Joe 3 3/7/2020
Micronauts 10/16/2020
Dungeons and Dragons 7/23/2021
Untitled Paramount/Hasbro Event Film 10/1/2021

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Action Point 5/11/2018 (from 3/23/2018)
A Star is Born 10/5/2018 (from 5/18/2018)
SpongeBob 3 7/31/2020 (from 8/2/2019)

Meanwhile, it looks like Cinelou was done in by the failure of Phoenix Forgotten as Saban will release The Yellow Birds, one of the remaining Sundance titles that hasn't gotten a release.

Related to distribution news, Bleecker Street will release the Papillon remake.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

To not many's surprise (unless you really love Kate McKinnon), The Spy Who Dumped Me has been pushed to 8/3/2018 (from 7/6/2018). Meanwhile, A Madea Family Funeral has lost its date (assuming it hasn't begun filming, this could either get canceled or become part of Perry's Paramount deal).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New Sony dates:

Alpha 9/14/2018 (from 3/2/2018)
Goosebumps 2 10/12/2018 (from 9/21/2018)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi2 wrote:New Sony dates:

Alpha 9/14/2018 (from 3/2/2018)
Goosebumps 2 10/12/2018 (from 9/21/2018)
Huh. I just saw a trailer for Alpha in front of Jumanji. Wonder why the bump?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm convinced it's getting reshoots. The film has been finished for more than a year and it's had trailers out since July (I saw the trailer with Dunkirk) so Sony must have really seen something wrong with it so close to release.

In addition, it's one of the two Studio 8 productions that remains unreleased (the other is White Boy Rick) and Sony ended their production pact with Jeff Robinov's company after Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk flopped, suggesting another possibility that Sony doesn't want to spend a lot of money to promote it (especially with A Wrinkle in Time coming one week later). Two possibilities but neither one is a positive one.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Argh, bummer.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

As part of Netflix's plans to have 80 releases next year, Benji and Roxanne Roxanne will no longer be released by their original distributors (Universal and Neon, respectively). Netflix has picked up both for March releases. Speaking of Neon, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gemini get sold off (the trailer's been out since August but the film's never gotten a date).

Netflix will also debut Step Sisters on January 19th, ten months after the film was originally set to open.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Any word on the Cloverfield Movie? I still don't know whether it's going to be called 10 Cloverfield Lane or Gad Particle or whatever. As far as I know, there is still no poster and no trailer, and yet the release date is still listed as 2/2. Under most circumstances I'd give it a .001% of making that date. Any insight, Boosh?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Barring the trailer dropping sometime in the next few days, I'd say the odds of The Cloverfield project making its 2/2 date are highly unlikely. Paramount is a fucking mess right now.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd say a Paramount sale (to Lionsgate, maybe?) is more likely than God Particle making its date.

Meanwhile, it does look like Gemini will be getting a date soon. Neon has the trailer set to run on I, Tonya prints beginning this week (a post-release trailer for Hostiles will be included on DCP's as well).