The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Chienfantome »

There's no way The Rider is going wide. It's way too arthouse.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Sony has put things like The Bronze and Brigsby Bear out wide or semi-wide. You just know that they'll try to sell The Rider as a rodeo film in an attempt to get that middle America money (though they tried something similar with that Hank Williams biopic and no one showed).

A lot of decisions that Sony's made in the Rothman era have made little sense (hmm, that sounds like when Rothman was at Fox). I'm expecting another here.

In other news, Focus plans to expand Darkest Hour wide on December 22nd. Not sure if that's the best idea, especially with wider-appealed films that weekend (and there was that other Churchill movie that flopped back in June).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

We'll see, but The Rider is much more arthouse than The Bronze or a Hank Williams biopic.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Extinction and the Untitled Laika Production have both lost their dates. I wonder if the former will get sold to Netflix like Spectral was.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

That sucks for Spectre and Surfer.

Is the Cloverfield movie ever going to get a name? Or is "God Particle" still the working title?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Who knows at this point? The new regime at Paramount's interested in their movies (though I'm convinced they'll kill The Loud House since the showrunner got fired) and God Particle was greenlighted by the old bosses. It's been finished for some time (hard to believe that it was originally supposed to open against Get Out) so it's possible that it and the next Bad Robot project (Overlord) may get dumped in 1,500 or so theatres.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised to see Universal sneak the Benji remake into that May 18th slot. No family films in May and it's been finished for a while. In addition, the original recently got a restoration and a new Blu-ray is coming in February.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Aviron has picked up the Keanu Reeves/Winona Ryder comedy Destination Wedding (a title I was sure Netflix would get). Wouldn't be surprised to see a summer release on this one.

Meanwhile, Sony has apparently picked up Mary Magdalene so it's likely getting pushed as Sony has another religious film at the Easter weekend slot.

Lastly, new dates:
Midnight Sun 3/23/2018 (from 3/30/2018)
Won't You Be My Neighbor? (documentary on Fred Rogers) 6/8/2018
Gotti TBA 2018 (from 12/15/2017)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Entertainment Studios has scheduled an untitled animated feature for 5/4/2018. I'm thinking it might be Animal Crackers (a title that was pushed from September to the spring due to distribution issues).

Meanwhile, Jumanji is getting a sneak preview next Friday in 1,000 theatres. However, there's a catch. You have to be an Amazon Prime member to attend to sneak. I have Prime but I think it looks terrible (others may disagree). Nice try though, Sony (How about a free ticket to any showing of Call Me by Your Name?).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Animal Crackers has been confirmed to be the 5/4/2018 Entertainment Studios release.

And some new dates:
Tag 6/15/2018 (from 6/29/2018)
Son of Shaft (Jessie T. Usher plays John Shaft's son) 6/14/2019
The Goldfinch (Warner Bros./Amazon co-production) 10/11/2019

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Animal Crackers is going against Avengers? Yeah, I'm sure there are a ton of kids who will opt for the former....
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd guess they're hoping for overflow. Kids who can't get into Avengers but still want to see something can watch something that might be a bit more suitable.

Also, there's post-theatrical money that can be had (VOD, pay cable/streaming, a home video sale to Lionsgate).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Kin 8/31/2018 (if not for The Disaster Artist buzz, no way this would be going wide)
Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen 1/11/2019

And Warner Bros. has four placeholders at 1/17/2020, 1/15/2021, 2/12/2021, and 5/21/2021. Could be original ideas, could be sequels/adaptations/remakes (Warner Bros. did just announce plans to remake Superfly and Cleopatra Jones), who knows?

Speaking of Warner Bros., they have rescued Just Mercy, a drama set to star Michael B. Jordan, from the Broad Green ashes. Potential 2019 awards entry?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Sony has picked up Quentin Tarantino's new film and will open on 8/9/2019, exactly fifty years after the murder of Sharon Tate.

Meanwhile, The Hurricane Heist will now open on 3/9/2018 (from 2/9/2018).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like there might be conflicts with Tarantino's Manson Family project. Quentin has now shown interest in directing the next Star Trek film (also breaking with his embargo on doing other people's projects), which will no longer be a prequel if he takes on the project.

Meanwhile, Bryan Singer has been fired from Bohemian Rhapsody and the project will be finished by a committee of directors including cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel. This incident (combined with the 2014 rape allegations returning to the news) might end Singer's career.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Disney and Fox are reportedly close to a $60 billion merger (so it looks like whatever issues got settled). This will change a lot of things (X-Men joining the MCU, Disney having sole ownership of all the Star Wars movies, maybe Disney making adult-aimed movies again) if true.

Meanwhile, Amazon has made a $10 million offer for This is Us: The Movie, I mean Life, Itself. I'd be surprised if any offer could top that one, unless Entertainment Studios or Netflix wants to get in on that action.