The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

There has been no marketing out for Hellboy as of yet, which is odd for a comic book movie. Also, I feel the decision to make this one darker while the del Toro Hellboys were more comedic in nature's going to make it a hard sell. Lionsgate probably expects they can have good counterprogramming to the more humorous Shazam.

As for the untitled STX, I thinking this gets pushed. Rumors had suggested this would be Den of Thieves 2 but I don't think it has ever begun filming. Meanwhile, I don't see Second Act faring well against Mary Poppins Returns and On the Basis of Sex (don't be surprised to see this one take off, especially with RBG having done so well in limited release).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think Hellboy is scared of tango-ing with Glass.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And in "should we even be surprised?" news, Aviron has pushed Serenity back to 1/25/2019 (from 10/19/2018). This probably means Three Seconds will be pushed again as well.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

The Mule 12/14/2018
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 2/22/2019 (from 3/1/2019)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Vice is getting a delay but not as long as I thought. It will open wide on Christmas Day.

And now the question is: who will win the battle between Dick Cheney and Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

Also, several Fox changes:

Untitled Deadpool Movie (I'm wondering if this will be the pilot to the FXX series released to theatres) 12/21/2018
Alita: Battle Angel 2/14/2019 (from 12/21/2018)
Dark Phoenix 6/7/2019 (from 2/14/2019)
Gambit 3/13/2020 (from 6/7/2019)

Edit: rumors suggest the untitled Deadpool movie is a PG-13 cut of Deadpool 2. Is this going to be about five minutes long?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi2 wrote: Dark Phoenix 6/7/2019 (from 2/14/2019)
Bad news for Surfer and Six.

I think the Alita move is a good one. That film seems way out of place in December. February is better.

Not sure about Dragon 3 jumping up a week. Hmm.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And another new date:

Everybody Knows 11/30/2018 Oscar run, 2/8/2019 limited

In other news, we might never get another Friday the 13th movie. Victor Miller, the franchise's creator, just won a suit over ownership of the original script and is now seeking to terminate any rights for future films. It's interesting to note that a lot of the series' trademarks (such as a killer wearing a hockey mask) were not created by Miller.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And On the Basis of Sex will now be platformed on Christmas Day. I was beginning to wonder about this one as Focus hasn't sent it out to any festivals.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A pair of new Universal dates:

Little 4/12/2019 (from 9/20/2019)
The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle 1/17/2020 (from 4/12/2019)

Meanwhile, Tom Hardy has revealed between 30 and 40 minutes were cut from Venom (this might explain why Jenny Slate's in none of the current marketing after her character appeared heavily in an early trailer). If true, expect a final cut that impresses few.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New date:

Peterloo 4/5/2019 (from 11/9/2018)

Reviews from US critics (not as kind as European critics) must have caused Amazon to get cold feet on releasing it for awards season.

Meanwhile, the recut Deadpool 2 will be sold as a completely different film called The Deadpool Before Christmas. It will be interesting to see how many people fall for this cash grab.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Missing Link has moved up one week to 4/12/2019. Something's probably changing dates now (my guess is that Breakthrough moves to the 17th).

In other news, Regency has stepped in at the very last minute to assist in the release of The Girl in the Spider's Web (they'll also get some of Little Women as well). This makes three companies (Sony, MGM, Regency) connected with distributors (MGM distributes through Annapurna while Fox owns a share of Regency) with a share of the film.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Is it kind of alarming that Sony needs help releasing a movie that's scheduled to release in just a little over a month from now?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

They want to lessen the loss by selling off some rights (the Regency deal makes me wonder if Fox will get international rights, as a few other films Regency did with other companies allowed them to get some foreign distribution). Other companies (mainly Universal, it seems) have done this in the past on films where they didn't expect success. Sometimes, it's a good move (Universal selling some rights to the 2011 version of The Thing to Morgan Creek). Other times, it's not (Universal letting Summit have international rights to the first American Pie).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And despite the failures of labels like Broad Green and Global Road and other mid-majors struggling, a new label formed by former Millennium, Open Road, and STX figures called Solstice has been formed with the intention of distributing mid-budgeted independent films. How many films before this company throws in the towel?

In other news, Stuck lost its date again. Could this end up going straight to Netflix?