The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

And because Paramount is desperate for hits (and Lionsgate has shown interest in buying the company from Viacom), they have scheduled Daddy's Home 2 (reportedly to involve grandfathers, as Mel Gibson and John Lithgow are rumored to star) for 11/10/2017. Paramount obviously learned nothing from Zoolander No. 2.

And a few more Sundance pickups:
Icarus: Netflix (paying $5 million solely on pre-release hype it seems, as reception wasn't completely glowing)
Joshua: Teenage vs. Superpower: Netflix
Pop Aye: Kino Lorber
Unrest: PBS (this likely would have been too morbid and inaccessible for theatrical audiences)

Notable titles without distributors include Dina, God's Own Country, The Nile Hilton Incident, Axolotl Overkill, I Dream in Another Language, Gook (this probably gets renamed in advance due to the offensive title), Marjorie Prime, Band Aid, The Polka King, and Rebel in the Rye. The buyer's market this year was even weaker than in past years with many major distributors and independents quiet (though Lionsgate and Bleecker Street will likely handle distribution for the Amazon titles) so it's likely a lot of these titles will drop in price before distributors bite (I expect IFC to pick up at least a pair of titles while Netflix and Amazon take a few more).

However, I do expect pre-sales to become the big thing next year at the earliest. Beginning in 2015, it seems like a lot of the more high-profile films got picked up before the premieres and with this year's Grand Jury Prize winner having been picked up before the festival, it's likely going to be less like Toronto and more like a film market but with public screenings.

Meanwhile, after getting passed by the distributors at Toronto (mainly over criticisms of its whitewashed premise), BH Tilt and WWE are working on a deal to release Birth of the Dragon wide. Even with the director's only other film having been a financial success and Bruce Lee being a character, I really don't think there's much interest in this film outside of hardcore Bruce fans (and even they will likely ignore it).

And Open Road will open Marshall on 10/13/2017. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one delay.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Universal has scheduled placeholder dates for Illumination titles at 7/2/2021, 7/1/2022, 12/21/2022, and 6/30/2023. I imagine that at least one of these will be a sequel (though they will need to develop new franchises at some point).

Meanwhile, Bleecker Street has moved up The Lost City of Z one week to 4/14/2017. Apparently, there are plans to go wide two weeks later.

More new dates:
The Girl with All the Gifts 2/24/2017
Dean 3/17/2017 (from 4/7/2017)
Churchill 4/28/2017 (from TBA June 2017)
The Promise 4/28/2017 (Open Road to distribute)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New dates:
It Comes at Night 8/25/2017
Mother! (Aronofsky's sellout project) 10/13/2017
Ferdinand 12/15/2017 (from 12/22/2017)
Friday the 13th TBA 2018 (from 10/13/2017)
World War Z 2 TBA 2018 (from 6/9/2017)

Meanwhile, STX will distribute Baltasar Kormakur's next film, a survival drama called Adrift. It will likely be ready next fall.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote: Mother! (Aronofsky's sellout project) 10/13/2017
:lol: :lol: :lol: I forgot that working with 4-time Oscar nominee Jennifer Lawrence makes you a sellout.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's more than that. First of all, he's dating Lawrence as well (these kinds of projects rarely turn out well). And second, the film is looking to not even be like his others as a lot of his collaborators aren't even involved.

It's most likely going to be generic Oscar bait (with probably another undeserved Lawrence nomination as Hollywood can't be bothered to cast more than five actresses in roles) instead of an Aronofsky film.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I thought Mother was an invasion horror-thriller - surely the opposite of Oscar bait?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Boosh's comments made me curious, so I looked into it. Aronofsky's regular cinematographer, editor and producing team is behind this project. Hell, the only change he made to his team was bringing in the composer from Arrival to do the score. What a shakeup ;)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Yes, it might seem like it's the same people but none of his frequent acting collaborators are in the film (and Mansell's not doing the music, as mentioned). And Aronofsky might have written the script but more than likely tailored it as a Lawrence vehicle. Nothing really has me excited about this film but critics will eat it up like they do every other overhyped fall release aimed towards awards (you know Paramount's gunning for them in the event Lionsgate or AMC doesn't make a deal to buy the company).

Anyway, new Sony dates:

White Boy Rick 1/12/2018 (likely to be the first, and last, title released under the Studio 8 name)
Proud Mary (Taraji P. Henson is a hired killer) 1/26/2018
Hotel Transylvania 3 7/13/2018 (from 9/21/2018)
Goosebumps 2 9/21/2018 (from 1/26/2018)
Bad Boys for Life 11/9/2018 (from 1/12/2018) (this probably means Bad Boys 4 will be delayed also)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:Yes, it might seem like it's the same people but none of his frequent acting collaborators are in the film (and Mansell's not doing the music, as mentioned). And Aronofsky might have written the script but more than likely tailored it as a Lawrence vehicle. Nothing really has me excited about this film but critics will eat it up like they do every other overhyped fall release aimed towards awards (you know Paramount's gunning for them in the event Lionsgate or AMC doesn't make a deal to buy the company).
And this matters why? I highly doubt that anyone is concerned about the absence of Jennifer Connolly and Ellen Burstyn (who mind you hasn't appeared in his past 3 films) when the cast features the likes of Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer and Javier fucking Bardem. Let's stop pretending like you wouldn't be excited about this film if Lawrence wasn't attached to it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And some new dates:

Leap! 4/21/2017 (from 3/3/2017)
Phoenix 4/21/2017 (I had to look like the premise of this one, which will likely get a few hundred theatres from Cinelou, and it reads like Fire in the Sky but set in the 90's)
Sleight 4/28/2017 (from 4/7/2017)
The Wall 5/12/2017 (from 3/10/2017)
Game Night (more or less a modernized version of Clue, with Rachel McAdams and Jason Bateman having to solve a murder) 2/16/2018
Holmes and Watson (yes, yet another Sherlock Holmes adaptation but this one's a comedy with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly) 8/3/2018
Scarface (yes, a remake of a remake) 8/10/2018

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And to no one's surprise, Lionsgate has pushed back Wonder. It will now be opening on 11/17/2017 (it seemed like a sure bet for summer).

Other new dates:
Three Generations (aka About Ray) 5/19/2017 (surprisingly not going to Lifetime)
Dean 6/2/2017 (from 3/17/2017)
The Exception 6/2/2017 (part of the A24/DirecTV deal)
It Comes at Night 6/9/2017 (from 8/25/2017)
The Hero 6/9/2017 limited, 7/4/2017 expansion (looks like The Orchard's putting money into its release despite mixed reviews)
The Big Sick 6/23/2017 limited, 7/14/2017 wide (as expected, Lionsgate will distribute)
The Bad Batch 6/23/2017 (Neon has bought the film from Screen Media, in a buying frenzy similar to Broad Green's a few years back)
Logan Lucky 8/18/2017 (Bleecker Street distributing, will possibly be their biggest release)
Tulip Fever TBA 2017 (from 2/24/2017) (betting this one ends up on Lifetime)
The Purge 4 (why?) 7/4/2018
The Nun 7/13/2018

And STX has picked up a new disaster movie project for Brad Peyton (fast becoming the new Master of Disaster, with San Andreas and next year's Rampage as well) called Black Hole, which is supposedly every disaster movie theme put into a single movie. Is the plan to out-Michael Bay Michael Bay?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Martin Scorsese's next film, The Irishman, will dumped onto Netflix as Paramount has sold its interest in the film (kind of sad that a Scorsese film can't get a theatrical release but a fourth Purge can). I wonder what this means for STX's international rights (edit: STX sold off its rights too, which likely means the film isn't happening now once Netflix realizes spending tentpole budgets on films about elf cops was a horrible idea).

Edit edit: turns out STX never did sell their rights and are now planning to sue Netflix as they were never consulted over the deal and Paramount sold rights that were sold off months ago. Paramount just can't win, can they?

Someone tells me that they'll settle and STX will release the film theatrically while Netflix gets pay cable rights (STX titles usually go to Showtime).

And some new dates:
Step 7/7/2017
Tulip Fever 8/25/2017 (from TBA 2017)
The Foreigner 10/13/2017
The Commuter 1/12/2018 (from 10/13/2017)

Meanwhile, The Coldest City has been retitled Atomic Blonde. Holy crap, what an awful title.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I found out Table 19 is getting a wide release this week. Has anyone seen any marketing for this?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:I found out Table 19 is getting a wide release this week. Has anyone seen any marketing for this?
Just while doing research for the leagues and HSX. I thought the cast was pretty intriguing.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I've seen a few tv spots.