The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

New release dates:

Regression TBA 2016 (from 8/28/2015)
The Equalizer 2 9/29/2017

And Paramount will be sending Staten Island Summer straight-to-Netflix on July 30th. I'm not surprised as it didn't seem like a film with wide appeal (despite having a cast of somewhat familiar actors and Lorne Michaels producing).

Also, some of Relativity's forthcoming titles could either be delayed or change distributors as that company is having financial troubles.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/relativity- ... 201440559/

Masterminds is not expected to be affected by this issue (as there is money to release it) but other titles (Jane Got a Gun, Before I Wake, The Disappointments Room, Kidnap, The Bronze, Autobahn and the EuropaCorp titles) could be delayed. A merger with Cinedigm was rumored while EuropaCorp has been suggested to buyout Relativity (they are already covering much of Relativity's payroll).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

How does a movie get yanked from its release date on the same day it drops its first trailer? :lol:
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:How does a movie get yanked from its release date on the same day it drops its first trailer? :lol:
Are you talking about Triple Nine (which will have a trailer attached to Dope despite being pushed six months)?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

transformers2 wrote:Yes because lord knows a movie about the dude who walked on a wire across the twin towers is a spectacle that demands to be seen in IMAX 3D ;) The Walk will probably gets pushed back a couple of weeks and London Has Fallen will probably either get bumped up to September or pushed back to the Spring.
It will be a spectacle for me, but not for the general audiences. Man on Wire was an excellent documentary and the 3D CGI effects should be pretty awesome. I thought the 3D teaser was cool. That said, the people that will watch this film will watch it any time of the year and general audiences won't care. Plus I don't have an IMAX near me.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Buscemi wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:How does a movie get yanked from its release date on the same day it drops its first trailer? :lol:
Are you talking about Triple Nine (which will have a trailer attached to Dope despite being pushed six months)?
Nope, I meant Regression:

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

The Hateful Eight just got a Christmas Day release as expected with a wide expansion in early 2016. For those keeping score that release date is now occupied by:

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip
Concussion
Snowden
Point Break
Joy
Daddy's Home
The Revenant (limited)
The Hateful Eight (limited)

... with Episode VII in its second week.

:shock:

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

London has Fallen seems to have hightailed it out of October now.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

London Has Fallen's new date is 1/22/2016. I had expected a delay to January as I believe it's still in post-production (it didn't start filming until earlier this year).

Meanwhile, the wide date for The Hateful Eight will be 1/8/2016. Looks like Tarantino didn't get his wish of doing a roadshow engagement first.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Very happy about the London Has Fallen move. Its BO prospects are much brighter in January than that ridiculously overcrowded October.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Why not movie London to March? First one killed there, this could counter program Zootopia and open very well.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I think everyone has forgotten about the first one. I sure did.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

Pitch Perfect 3 7/21/2017

Originally planned as a straight-to-DVD installment without its two biggest names (the rumor had Hailee Steinfeld taking over), it has been upgraded to a theatrical release with Kendrick and Wilson possibly getting big raises to return.

Meanwhile, who wants to bet on how many Jurassic World sequels will be scheduled this week (Jurassic World 2 is already in the works)?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote: Meanwhile, who wants to bet on how many Jurassic World sequels will be scheduled this week (Jurassic World 2 is already in the works)?
At least three. Pratt's jokingly said they had him signed on for "38 movies or something." That makes no sense if he's on for only two more.

And is this good or bad for him being Indy? I know it gives him a great in with Spielberg, but if you're making a thousand Marvel and JP films plus making what you actually want to make where is the time for Indy?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Buscemi wrote:New release date:

Pitch Perfect 3 7/21/2017

Originally planned as a straight-to-DVD installment without its two biggest names (the rumor had Hailee Steinfeld taking over)
I kinda doubt that. They placed the 2nd one in prime box office release, smack in the middle of summer. If they doubted it honestly, I think they would've tried to replicate the original's run in September.

And definitely, once the sequel opened to those insane numbers, there was no way a third one was planned as straight-to-DVD/VOD. Even without Kendrick, it would've had enough goodwill to at least make back its budget in theaters.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Outside of Kendrick and Wilson, there are no household names in that series (and Steinfeld's career pretty much declined after she turned down The Hunger Games to make Romeo and Juliet). Universal greenlighted the third one before the second opened thinking they wouldn't be able to get their two back (also, remember than it was only tracking $40 million opening weekend when they announced it). Only in the last week was it decided to upgrade it to theatres and begin contract negotiations for its two stars.

Without them, you pretty much have a late-season Glee episode.