The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 11:54 am
I hear the same thing is going on in Jurassic World 3 - lots of crew have it.
In England or Malta? Because Universal is only admitting to having a decent sized outbreak among the second unit in Malta 2-3 weeks ago at the moment.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Both, from what I'm hearing.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Yikes

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

STX has picked up Queenpins, a heist film about get this...extreme couponing. It can't be any worse than some of the other films they've released.

Meanwhile, One Night in Miami, Regina King's directorial debut, has been getting some positive early word. I wonder if Amazon might do a big Oscar push for this one.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Akira will return to theatres in a new 4K restoration on September 25th.

Sound of Metal will be released on November 20th with a Prime launch on December 4th. Related to streaming, Charm City Kings will premiere on HBO Max on October 8th.

And in film production news, Sacha Baron Cohen secretly shot a Borat sequel during quarantine and has been doing screenings to possible distributors. It seems like Netflix would be the favorite to pick it up but they're never announced a date for the similar-in-concept Bad Trip.

Edit: a sequel no one asked for, After We Collided, will open on October 23rd. The distributor isn't known.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 1:28 pm
STX has picked up Queenpins, a heist film about get this...extreme couponing. It can't be any worse than some of the other films they've released.
Between this and the Pete Davidson/O'Shea Jackson Jr. Sneaker Reselling movie, STX seems to be using the success of Hustlers to greenlight a bunch of crime dramedies set in niche real life subcultures. There's a lot of potential for fun with these premises/casts, so I'll take it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

More on Borat 2: it looks like Amazon is releasing it. Related to distribution, Saban has picked up the Mel Gibson as Santa movie Fatman. I was expecting distributors to back off on this one, given Mel's latest issues.

Meanwhile, Warner Bros., disappointed with Tenet's numbers (though they shouldn't as this wasn't going to set the box office on fire), is considering delaying Wonder Woman 1984 again to November 25th, which only has two films do not have any promotion right now, suggesting that they'll both be moved. If this happens, it will lose its IMAX screens to No Time to Die. Speaking of which, might Sony move one of their 2021 titles up to Thanksgiving?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

With the reveals of secret COVID productions (like Borat 2 and that movie with John David Washington that's not Tenet), the most shameless pandemic movie since Corona Zombies has been announced. Doug Liman will direct Lockdown from a Steven Knight script with Anne Hathaway starring. So it's Serenity 2 with a worse director?

Oh, and Disney+ will premiere Clouds on October 16th. Funny that had Warner Bros. kept this one, it would have likely been on HBO Max at the same time (or maybe not, as Superintelligence still hasn't come back and that was completed way before than Clouds was).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

On the Rocks 10/2/2020 (followed by a streaming debut three weeks later on Apple TV+)
Freaky (Vince Vaughn plays a serial killer in a film that basically sounds like Happy Death Day meets Freaky Friday) 11/13/2020

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Wonder Woman 1984 will now open on Christmas Day. I was sure they would have wanted it out before the election but I guess Patty Jenkins isn't Aaron Sorkin.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The other big piece of news coming out of the Wonder Woman Christmas move is that Dune is going to hold its December 18th release date (for now), meaning Warner Brothers could end up having a monopoly on the holiday blockbuster market.

Shifting over casting news: Harry Styles will be returning to acting. He's been confirmed to replace Shia LaBeouf as the male lead in Olivia Wilde's Booksmart follow-up "Don't Worry Darling". Dunkirk wasn't really much of an acting showcase for anyone involved, so I'll be curious to see what he can do in a prominent role alongside the likes of talent like Florence Pugh, Chris Pine and Wilde.

The Jay-Z produced Netflix western The Harder They Fall added Regina King, Lakeith Stanfield, Zazie Beetz, Delroy Lindo, Edi Gathegi and Danielle Deadwyler to a cast that already featured Idris Elba, Jonathan Majors and RJ Cyler. What a fucking ensemble.

Lastly, Netflix has kicked off the festival season acquisition market by picking up the global rights to Halle Berry's directorial debut "Bruised" for roughly $20 million.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Is anyone of the opinion that in the next months we might have enough people going to theaters to make reviving the game worth it?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Candyman just got moved to an undetermined 2021 date, as the director wants a theatrical release (not sure how she can have that power, seeing how barely anyone saw her last film). It's like studios want to kill their own industry by not releasing their films at all.

Related to Universal, Stillwater lost its date. That's probably going to be an on demand title now (Tom McCarthy's last one went to Disney+ after its Sundance premiere).

As for your comment, Shryke, I'm going with a firm no. Connected's looking like it's getting another delay as there's been no marketing lately, Incredibles 3, I mean, Black Widow is looking at another delay, there are rumors of Soul going to Disney+ (though I believe this only happens if Jamie Foxx or Tina Fey do something stupid and considering those two, it's very possible), and nearly everything else is the kind of thing that you would prefer to watch at home. Hollywood should not have staked everything on a non-franchise film from a guy who doesn't know what century he's in.

If everything goes to streaming, Hollywood will only have itself to blame...and will reap all the benefits.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 8:21 pm
Is anyone of the opinion that in the next months we might have enough people going to theaters to make reviving the game worth it?
All depends on the re-opening of theaters in NYC, LA and San Fran. Don't believe we're going to get anywhere "normal" numbers or release output until those markets (as well other big cites where theaters are closed like Miami, Seattle, Philadelphia and Detroit) are operational.

On the festival front, Nomadland took home the Golden Lion at Venice and Netflix looks like they're on a potential acquisition spree as they just picked up the global rights for Pieces of a Woman-which has gotten a fair amount of awards buzz (primarily for Vanessa Kirby's performance) since it screened at Venice last weekend.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Literally just watched Pieces of a Woman.