The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

The fact that this is getting a full release and not being dumped onto Showtime shows you how A24 doesn't understand general audiences but will never get criticized for it because of their Snydercut-like fanbase.

This will be lucky to make half of what X made.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

More on the Everything Everywhere All at Once reissue: it's going to be an extended version (not surprising, since the theatrical cut showed some situations that were never really explored) and it looks like it will be splitting screens with Marcel the Shell with Shoes On. Much like Midsommar, this an excuse to milk a movie's financial viability and disguise it as artistic freedom.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on July 27th, 2022, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story, the feature expansion of the old Funny or Die sketch but with Daniel Radcliffe replacing Aaron Paul, hits Roku on November 4th. I believe this is their first feature.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I imagine Pearl will gross similarly to X if it's well received (at the very least, it should outgross Men, though Bodies Bodies Bodies looks like it could outgross both of the X films). Many of A24's horror films find a larger audience outside of theaters. That being said, it looks rather niche and there is a lot of competition.

I believe the re-release of Everything Everywhere All At Once is mostly outtakes during the credits - the movie itself is otherwise the same. I don't believe that it will be splitting screens with Marcel... everywhere, considering it is re-expanding to theaters that never got (and are not getting this weekend) the latter.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You clearly don't understand that horror sequels or prequels generally make far less than their predecessors. It doesn't matter if there's a loyal fanbase or if the sequel is any good, it's very hard for a follow-up to be neck-and-neck with the original. And X was not a popular film, with its box office not justifying the large promotional cost or its near 3,000 theatre opening. The gross also didn't justify the move to produce a prequel before X was even released. In addition, I don't think X will be on TV or on streaming by the time Pearl is released, confusing anyone who might want to see this that didn't see the first film.

This is seriously no different than a Shudder original. The only difference is that Shudder isn't giving its movies super wide releases before their streaming premieres.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio will play in select theatres for Oscar consideration in November before hitting Netflix in December.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Apparently we're going to be seeing a sequel to Need for Speed released wide on October 21st. I have to imagine this was made for international markets, as the first was a hit outside the US.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

New dates:
Creed III 3/3/2023 (from 11/23/22)
Book Club 2-The Next Chapter 5/12/23

Also, Amazon has set their release schedule for the rest of 2022 (Prime exclusives except where noted):
Flight/Risk 9/9
Goodnight Mommy 9/16
Catherine, Called Birdy 9/23 theaters, 10/7 streaming
Argentina, 1985 9/30 theaters, 10/21 streaming
My Best Friend's Exorcism 9/30
My Policeman 10/21 theaters, 11/4 streaming
Run Sweetheart Run 10/28 (THEY'RE FINALLY FREEING IT FROM THE DEEPEST, DARKEST BOWELS OF THEIR SERVERS)
Good Night Oppy 11/4 theaters, 11/23 streaming
The People We Hate at the Wedding 11/16
Nanny 11/23 theaters, 12/16 streaming
Something from Tiffany's 12/9
Wildcat 12/21 theaters, 12/30 streaming
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I guess Book Club 2 got made after Brady's unretirement delayed 80 for Brady.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I found that Orphan: First Kill is getting a wide release in the UK. I still have no idea why anyone was asking for this or why anyone thinks this could be anything more than one evening show for a week.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

In a downright shocking move, Warner Brothers has decided to not release Batgirl. Apparently, the new regime wants to only release event DC movies and they feel Batgirl doesn't fit that model.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like Snydercut has officially taken over Warner Bros. All angry white guy movies, all the time.

Anyway, the decision to shelve the film makes zero sense. The studio claims the film didn't work but isn't that what reshoots are for? You know, what over $70 million was spent on to rework Justice League after it didn't take off with critics or audiences. Reworking Batgirl would have cost maybe a third of that (or how much their Krypto movie that they thought would be a hit opened to) but rather that do that, they'd rather satisfy a vocal minority that bullies executives out of their positions and begin Internet flame wars all because they didn't get their way in 2017 instead of a much larger audience that might get some interest in a film like this.

Just sell the film to Netflix and let audiences decide if the film works. It can't be worse than some of the things Warner Bros. decided "worked".

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

You're greatly overestimating the influence of the 62 Snydercut fans, particularly since this isn't even the same regime that was responsible for the creation of Zack Snyder's Justice League. The new brass appears to be obsessed with cutting costs and this move seems to fall under that umbrella (they also canceled the HBO Max Scoob! Holiday special, which I
have a feeling you don't feel as strongly about since it wasn't greenlit after 31 incels in Estonia created a moderately large Twitter bot farm).

Anyways, shelving a movie that's basically done is just baffling. If they thought it sucked, why not just give it an HBO Max release as intended and pretend it doesn't exist in the DCU canon? They're already doing that with Snyder's movies anyways! Obviously, the jury is still out on WB/Discovery, but this isn't the type of the move that inspires a ton of confidence about the direction they're headed in.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But if the Snydercut people are not influential, why did Warner Bros. even listen to them in the first place? They took their side on the executive who was being bullied. They took their side after Snyder thanked them for their support on getting the Justice League re-edit made in the first place. Warner Bros. even let Snyder take over the DC films as a result of the fan outcry. Warner Bros. got scared over the backlash and they've been paying ever since.

As for this being unrelated to the Snydercut people, the direction with Warner Bros. has been headed that way for a while. With the exception of Barbie (and even that isn't immune to the angry white guy crowd, as Noah Baumbach co-wrote it), most of the titles getting big theatrical releases at Warner Bros. are movies made solely towards the young, white, conservative male. This is not a good strategy but Warner Bros. doesn't want to do anything else. They simply don't want to piss them off again.

Meanwhile, that Scoob! thing I'm sure was canceled as hardly anyone liked Scoob!. Even the hardcore Scooby-Doo fans, whether they were children or those with nostalgia for the old shows, found little to like about that one.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

transformers2 wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 4:56 pm
In a downright shocking move, Warner Brothers has decided to not release Batgirl. Apparently, the new regime wants to only release event DC movies and they feel Batgirl doesn't fit that model.
It's absolutely crazy that they would just throw a $70M budget film in the trash, let alone one with this kind of IP/star power. And isn't this the kind of movie the streaming services are for anyway?

What on earth is going on at Warner Brothers?