The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by transformers2 »

The rest of cast agreed to reshuffle their schedules to allow for immediate reshoots and Sony is apparently convinced that Michelle Williams can contend for a Best Actress nod, so I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled off a miracle and got it out in time.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm still amazed Sony's convinced it's going to get awards notice. Oh wait, this project was Tom Rothman's baby so of course they are.

In other news, Universal has scheduled the Blumhouse production Truth or Dare for an 4/27/2018 date. Looks like A24 might move their horror film from that slot.

Meanwhile, Netflix has picked up Step Sisters from the ashes of Broad Green. And I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after other films abandoned by their distributors or stuck in limbo (The Current War, The Yellow Birds, Renegades).

And to no one's surprise, it's looking like I Love You, Daddy is going to get moved out of its date next week. The New York premiere has been canceled due to recent allegations against Louis C.K.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Forever My Girl has jumped up a week, from 1/26 to 1/19. You can pick it up in the Nov-Jan leagues in BO for only $2! (still not a great pick, but better than before.)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The I Love You, Daddy delay is official. No new date is set.

Meanwhile, it's looking like Lionsgate may be releasing Paddington 2, based on the projectionist sheets for Wonder listing it as one of the two attached trailers (Early Man is the other). I'm not sure if to put stock in this speculation (though The Hollywood Reporter has mentioned that Lionsgate was interested) but Lionsgate rarely ever requires the trailers for other distributors' movies to be included (unless it's Amazon). If true, something's getting moved from January 12th as Lionsgate already has two titles at that date.

Also, Universal is recasting the lead in The Secret Life of Pets 2 after Louis C.K. admitted to the allegations. The date should stick as scratch tracks can be used for the time being.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Annapurna has officially picked up the domestic rights to the next Bond film. International rights are still up for grabs (I'm guessing Paramount might get them).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New release date:

Wonder Woman 2 11/1/2019 (from 12/13/2019)

Meanwhile, Sony and MGM have now entered separate talks to pick up Paddington 2 as it looks like Studiocanal's attempts to seize the rights were unsuccessful.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New release date:

Unsane 3/23/2018 (Bleecker Street will release Soderbergh's film wide, good thing they aren't the ones paying for prints and advertising)

Meanwhile, it looks a major distributor will get Tarantino's next film. Paramount, Sony, and Warner Bros. have all emerged as favorites to get the rights. Sony and Warner Bros. have also become the favorites to get Paddington 2 (I hate that Weinstein's going to make money on this deal).

Edit: as Paramount has officially run out of ideas, they've scheduled a gender-reversed remake of What Women Want, now titled What Men Want, for 1/11/2019. Watch the men's rights people have a fit about this one.

Second edit: Annapurna/MGM will release an untitled remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson on 8/10/2018. The title was Nasty Women but there's no way a film with that title would ever make money (I must ask what's wrong with just calling it Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Warner Bros. will release Paddington 2. Looks like it will get pushed in the process as Warner Bros.' first half of 2018 is crowded.

Meanwhile, it looks like some theatres will be given the option whether or not to run the Frozen short before Coco due to the length and middling reception during its international release. I expect most theatres to go ahead and run it anyway as sales have already begun with the 129 minute length (109 minutes plus 20 minutes for the short) in place.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

A 20 minute short is insane
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Also, at 109 minutes, it makes Coco the longest Pixar movie

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The Incredibles is longer.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:A 20 minute short is insane
The short was originally intended for television but Disney upgraded it to a theatrical release after they were unsure how a film about Dia de los Muertos would play with American audiences (also, they saw how Cinderella did with Frozen Fever included).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New release date:

Lean on Pete 3/30/2018 (probably would have been a long shot for Oscars but should do fine in this plum Easter spot)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Orchard has written off I Love You, Daddy as a loss and will give the film back to Louis C.K. (they should have never bought the film in the first place, no way it was worth $5 million). The film will now be self-released on C.K.'s site while some people (either morons or creepy Chloe Grace Moretz fans) are willing to shell out $1,000 on eBay for screener copies sent out before the fallout.

In other news, Fox has announced Death on the Nile will be adapted as the sequel to Murder on the Orient Express (much like how the 1978 adaptation was a sequel to the 1974 version of Murder on the Orient Express, though Peter Ustinov replaced Albert Finney as Poirot). Not sure if Branagh's coming back though.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New Sony dates:

Final Portrait (Stanley Tucci directs Armie Hammer and Geoffrey Rush) 3/23/2018
The Rider 4/13/2018 (though set as limited, I wouldn't be surprised to see this go wide right away)