The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

Torrance is now titled The Way Back. This is the second wide-released film this decade to use that title. There's also been The Way and The Way, Way Back.

Before you know it, we'll have movie titles that are basically gibberish or binary code so no one can reuse a title.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Red Notice's budget has now gone up to nearly $200 million. Thurber's salary is actually $10 million (not sure if the $30 million initially mentioned on HSX was in error or if he lowered his salary to bring Ryan Reynolds on) but Gadot and Reynolds will get $20 million each. Dwayne Johnson is still set to get at least $30 million. That's right, 40% of the budget will go to four people on a film that might never break even.

Meanwhile, The Woman in the Window has been pushed to an undetermined 2020 date. The film tested poorly and will undergo reshoots to make sense of the plot (the things that came out about the author, not Tracy Letts but the guy who wrote the book, could be another factor in Disney choosing to delay the film). It wouldn't be surprising to see Universal move The Hunt in hopes of stealing the edgelord audience from Joker.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:That's right, 40% of the budget will go to four people on a film that might never break even.
It's Netflix. Define "break even."
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

In a typical theatrical platform, the break even point is $2.50 for every dollar spent. $200 million plus $50-100 million for promotion would mean Red Notice would need to gross between $500-750 million worldwide to break even.

Sure, a movie on Netflix can get 30 million views in a weekend (Murder Mystery I believe had more than that). But Netflix has more volume than a Disney or a Universal, causing their subscription fee, rather than one single ticket, to cover more than just a $200 million film. And a lot of that money is going towards a massive debt load that they supposedly have. Also, few will take the opportunity to see Red Notice at an iPic or Landmark because they can watch it at home for much cheaper.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Netflix tend not to rate their films in that way as they're a subscription model. It's all about the view and gained subs

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

The David Oyelewo sci-fi Relive (aka Only You) is now titled Don't Let Go and has a date of 8/30/19, from Blumhouse Tilt.

No BH Tilt movie has grossed over $12M to date, so not expecting much here.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was convinced that one would go to Netflix. I seem to recall festival reaction wasn't glowing.

And it looks like The Hunt may indeed get a slight delay. Hilary Swank has just been cast for a few days of (apparent) reshoots.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Don't believe there's any reshoots planned for The Hunt (at least Deadline didn't mention any in their piece about Swank's involvement). They've been slowly revealing the cast over the past couple of months and I figured this was simply a continuation of that practice.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That or Blumhouse realized Emma Roberts and Ike Barinholtz aren't marketable actors and needed an Ethan Hawke-level talent at the 11th hour.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

David Fincher finally has a new movie. He's set to direct a biopic on Herman Mankiewicz for Netflix with Gary Oldman starring. Watch the Internet call it the greatest biopic ever before it even comes out.

In other news, My Spy has been pushed to an undetermined 2020 date due to STX's financial issues (I'm convinced Solstice is going to buy them out and put their people in charge).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Remember that Super Size Me sequel YouTube was going to release but never did because Morgan Spurlock's a scumbag? Samuel Goldwyn decided to pick it up for a September release for some reason.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

The Informer 1/10/2020 (from 8/16/2019)
Monster Problems (sci-fi film with Dylan O'Brien and Michael Rooker) 3/6/2020

And the Untitled Aviron Horror film has been pulled from the schedule. I don't think this was anything, to be honest.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A newly-formed company with the gibberish-sounding name XLI41 will release the shot in 2012 romance What About Love (starring Sharon Stone) wide on Valentine's Day. I wouldn't be surprised if this was only a wide release on Netflix or Amazon Prime and ended up only getting a single four-walled run in Los Angeles.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Greta Gerwig is now attached to direct Barbie. I guess Barbie's now going to be an insufferable hipster stereotype.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Blinded by the Light 8/16/2019 (from 8/14/2019)
Just Mercy 12/25/2019 limited, 1/10/2020 wide (from 1/10/2020)
Sesame Street 6/4/2021 (from 1/15/2021)

And Akira is dead once again. Marvel made Taika Waititi a deal to direct Thor 4, which will delay Akira's start indefinitely. Meanwhile, it will be interesting if they follow Ragnarok's plotline or return to the first two films' premise on Earth (though I could easily see the latter being a Disney+ show that explains what happened to the characters such as Darcy and Sif that later installments basically forgot ever existed).

Edit: Apple has picked up The Banker...and will actually give it a decent-sized theatrical release. I guess they backed off on those plans of being the G-rated Netflix (especially after Hala got an R rating).