The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by transformers2 »

The Woman in the Window is the latest title to be moved from theatrical to streaming. Disney has sold the rights to Netflix.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Well, it tested horribly and a lot of it had to be reshot so audiences could make sense of the story. Who wants to bet that the ending reveals Amy Adams was actually both the agoraphobe and the woman in the window?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Mulan is headed to Disney+ on September 4th. $29.99 on top of already needing to have the subscription. Going to be really interesting to see how well this works... and also means our wait for a real slate of films continues :cry:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow... just wow.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Disney continues to be the greediest film company in the world.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My first thought is that this is dumb, but I don't know how well this was going to go in the first place (closer to Dumbo probably). It's obviously aimed more internationally and isn't as PG as the other bigger kids movies released VOD (Scoob, Onward, Trolls 2). I won't be watching it until it's part of the subscription (I'd have went to the theater as an A-List member).

I'm pretty excited to see how this model works. I thought the Trolls 2 model would fail dramatically, but it may have worked out better than a true theatrical release.

Thinking about it a little more, this paywall behind a paywall may set a bad precedent. I can foresee a time where it eventually kills off the rental services and everything Disney goes this way. Then Paramount does the same, then Sony... You can only buy Fast and Furious 16 on Peacock then have to keep a Peacock subscription forever or you'll lose it. Darkest timeline.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'll wait for a price drop. No movie is worth $30 to see once, unless there's a Q&A afterwards.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

W wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 9:16 am
My first thought is that this is dumb, but I don't know how well this was going to go in the first place (closer to Dumbo probably). It's obviously aimed more internationally and isn't as PG as the other bigger kids movies released VOD (Scoob, Onward, Trolls 2). I won't be watching it until it's part of the subscription (I'd have went to the theater as an A-List member).

I'm pretty excited to see how this model works. I thought the Trolls 2 model would fail dramatically, but it may have worked out better than a true theatrical release.

Thinking about it a little more, this paywall behind a paywall may set a bad precedent. I can foresee a time where it eventually kills off the rental services and everything Disney goes this way. Then Paramount does the same, then Sony... You can only buy Fast and Furious 16 on Peacock then have to keep a Peacock subscription forever or you'll lose it. Darkest timeline.
Or Netflix hides his big ticket originals behind an extra paywall as well. Fucking Disney.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Jesus, now I'm paranoid as hell that the paywall rental system is going to become the new release standard. Thank a lot you assholes ;)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It pretty much already replaced the video store as not everything is on one streaming service. All of these "new normal" things already existed in some way.

I don't like it either but I'd rather see things released instead of spending years on the shelf, losing any sort of value.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Antebellum will be released straight to PVOD in the US on September 18th. It's still going theatrical in "select offshore markets".

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like Sponge on the Run is getting a limited drive-in release next Friday. That might explain Paramount's plan to hold off the streaming debut until next year.

And David Ayer's new one, The Tax Collector, came out today. I wasn't even aware that it had a release date.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Any theories on when movies will be in theaters again? I miss our game!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think the best case scenario is next year. No way Regal's going to be opening theatres this month (assuming they still plan to because of that deal they made on Unhinged) while the December suggestion a chain representative made might be wishful thinking.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The US is still seeing about 50K new cases a day, which is pretty alarming. It does seem to be going down, so if that trend continues you could see things getting better this time next month. That's probably the most optimistic case for most cinemas being reopened, but it all depends on how people respond to COVID.

Over here, and in most Euro countries, we're seeing a rise in faily cases, probably due to the relax lockdown and the opening of social spaces. Which could mean another lockdown is on the horizon. On the plus side, that'll please Boosch who wants Chris Nolan to suffer!