The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by numbersix »

Bastards!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Aquaman should move to the 7th. I know it's a notoriously bad weekend, but at this point, studios would be dumb not to give their movie an entire weekend to itself, not matter where it is on the calendar.

Alita should move to anywhere in 2019, to finish the effects and build buzz mostly.

I'd like to see Mortal Instruments move to Christmas Day, but I don't think it'll happen. It'll benefit from a soft start of 2019, instead of losing all of its theaters almost immediately to Mary Poppins and all the 21st openers (like it will).

If the studios need a release date consultant, my schedule is wide open!
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Mortal Engines (Mortal Instruments was another one of those failed vanity published franchises) I can't see doing well at any date. Despite Jackson's involvement, the film looks derivative and steampunk's more of a cult item than anything (in fact, I must wonder if they were late to the whole steampunk boom). Also, Universal knows there's an audience for On the Basis of Sex (RBG grossed $10 million in a time when most political documentaries have been bombs).

With Alita, I could see it moving to March 1st, The Kid Who Would Be King moving up to February 14th, and Dark Phoenix going to the summer.

As for Animal Crackers, the co-director was saying some things about the distributor behind their back on Cartoon Brew (a well-known animation industry site) and claiming things that turned out to be untrue (such as plans to open on August 10th that only existed in the guy's mind). I wouldn't be surprised if the film losing its date again is some sort of reprimand for not keeping his mouth shut.

Speaking of release dates that may or may not be official, I've seen a couple listings that show The Sisters Brothers opening on 10/12/2018. This will most likely be a limited debut before expanding wide a week later (which seems to the standard for Annapurna).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like Patient Zero is getting a theatrical release after all. The film will get a limited release on 9/14/2018 through Vertical (this seems to be where Natalie Dormer's movies are going, they released her vanity project In Darkness back in May).

Meanwhile, Lionsgate is in talks to pick up Sundance Audience Award winner Burden. I'm amazed it's taken this long.

Edit: it looks like the zombie boom isn't dead yet. Jim Jarmusch has announced his new film will be an ensemble zombie film with Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Chloe Sevigny, Daniel Craig, and Selena Gomez (why is she still being cast in movies when she can't act at all?). Who wants to bet this beats the perpetually in development hell Zombieland Too into theatres?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Deadline just reported that Operation Finale has moved up to August 29th. Not sure if it's going to be a hit, but shifting it out of that mid-September cluster of adult-aimed releases makes a lot of sense.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That certainly breaks up the monotony of the Labor Day spot. I don't think it will be the last change (I expect The Little Stranger to open wide instead of limited).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like BlacKkKlansman is expected to be a hit as STX has picked up The Best of Enemies, a more dramatic fact-based film focused on fighting the KKK, for an Oscar season release.

In other news, there are plans for a Rugrats movie that will combine CGI babies with live-action adults which will arrive in 2020. I can't help but be reminded of Baby Geniuses with this.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

In an attempt to increase awareness against two other, much bigger sequels, Unfriended: Dark Web will be released with two different endings depending on which showing you go to. I'm guessing one is the SXSW cut and the other is a different version with an ending shot after the premiere (the two versions differ by 30 seconds).

Meanwhile, Rugrats has been confirmed for an 11/13/2020 date while Orion moves up Anna and the Apocalypse one week to 11/30/2018.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

God Bless the Broken Road 9/7/2018 (from 9/21/2018)
Monsters & Men 9/28/2018

And Sony has announced a development deal with Stephen Curry. It seems like the studios are going all in with basketball stars making movies.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Jonah Hill said in an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night that the trailer for his A24-produced directorial debut Mid-90's is coming out next Tuesday, so a release date announcement should be imminent.

edit: As its trailer stated, Overlord has been pushed back from October 26th to November 9th.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

An assload of Sony dates:

Slender Man 8/10/2018 (from 8/24/2018) (There's been no marketing and they're moving it up? Does this make any sense?)
Searching 8/24/2018 limited, 8/31/2018 wide (from 8/3/2018 wide)
White Boy Rock 9/14/2018 wide (from 9/14/2018 limited, 9/21/2018 wide)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 7/26/2019 (from 8/9/2019)
Zombieland 2 10/11/2019
Little Women (Greta Gerwig gives us a new, hipster gentrified version of Bronte's story) 12/25/2019
Bloodshot (Vin Diesel stars in Sony's hoped-for Valiant Comics Universe) 2/21/2020

And the Sony Pictures Animation placeholders have lost their dates. I have a feeling Sony might just shut down the label for film altogether and just use it for sequels and visual effects projects.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Joker will open 10/4/2019. Expect a lot of shuffling now.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Searching has been having a ton of free screenings lately, seems weird to push it back a month basically. Maybe to re-edit?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi2 wrote:Joker will open 10/4/2019. Expect a lot of shuffling now.
i dont think so. unless Venom breaks records and people are clamoring for origin stories about villains.

i just don't see the appeal, the ambiguity of the joker in The Dark Knight is what made him so interesting.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Joker is perhaps the most popular villain of all-time. Venom is only popular with kids who grew up in the 90's. People love to hate on Suicide Squad and its depiction of The Joker but it still made over $300 million domestic. Warner Bros. isn't stupid to do to a Joker movie.

And Searching was very well-received at Sundance. No way they'll re-edit it. In fact, I think it's smart to open limited before expanding wide as it's not your typical cyber-thriller (it won the Alfred P. Sloan Prize).