The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

New Paramount dates:

Book Club (Jane Fonda/Diane Keaton comedy) 5/18/2018
Action Point 6/1/2018 (from 5/11/2018)
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Apparently, God Particle is premiering tonight on Netflix after the Super Bowl (a spot's showing during the game). That was a quick turnaround if true.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

God Particle is now the Cloverfield Paradox. Bad name, but Cloverfield should probably be in the name.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

At least they're finally giving up on trying to make Cloverfield the next big franchise (it looks like Overlord will be the last one). That was more pointless than doing a Pacific Rim sequel.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I’m not sure it was an attempt at a “big franchise.” I’m fine with an anthology series of low to mid budget films overseen by Abrams. Could have been a Black Mirror or Twilight Zone, but for the big screen. There’s been a dud in those great series before. Haven’t seen this, but 10 Cloverfield Lane was an excellent film.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It was ridiculous as the first film died after a weekend (more than 50% of the domestic gross came in the first four days) and yet, Paramount spent years talking about a sequel. And then the sequel made less money (eight years later, no less, with inflation, supposed demand for another one, and Paramount believing it would be bigger) and Paramount decided it needed to be a yearly thing, despite the economics making no sense at all.

No wonder why Paramount is having problems. If you want to have a film version of The Twilight Zone, do them like they do at Blumhouse and make them small ad marketable, open them on Halloween, and don't try to base it around a quickly forgotten movie released in January.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I may be crazy, but domestically I’m seeing $75 m on a $15 m budget for 10 CL and $80 m on a $25 m budget for the original.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But studios tend to fudge the budget figures a lot (most, I bet) of the time. Development costs on 10 Cloverfield Lane had to at least $10 million while Cloverfield with its lack of stars (for 2008) and cheap-looking production had to have cost way less than $25 million (also, much of the promotion was viral).

10 Cloverfield Lane was expected to be much bigger than Cloverfield. No way that $5 million less eight years later can be considered a success.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

10 Cloverfield Lane looks to be Paramounts most profitable film in the last two years (approximately tied with Arrival). I’m fairly certain it isn’t the reason Paramount is in trouble. It may be in trouble because of stuff like Downsizing, Baywatch, Transformers, and 90% of the other stuff they released the past few years that lost money.

Plus these aren’t really sequels. If they had completely different names, you’d laud them for giving original films (and new directors) a chance.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Matt Reeves was hardly a new director. He'd already directed a widely-released film (The Pallbearer) and co-created Felicity. It's annoying that people insist his career with Cloverfield.

And if you want to give a first-time director a chance, don't do it with an unnecessary franchise film. Give them $1 million and let them go nuts.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Am I the only one here who like the original Cloverfield? I thought it was a blast - inventive and fairly clever. Never understood the hate for it. And it goes to a point I made elsewhere, do a mid-budget movie, smart marketing and triple your investment. Seems like a studio win for me no matter how you want to play it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Walleye413 wrote:Am I the only one here who like the original Cloverfield? I thought it was a blast - inventive and fairly clever. Never understood the hate for it. And it goes to a point I made elsewhere, do a mid-budget movie, smart marketing and triple your investment. Seems like a studio win for me no matter how you want to play it.
I didn't hate the original. It was good.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I went to go see it in theaters and i couldn't finish the last 30 minutes. i was so nauseous. only time i have not finished a movie that i paid for.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Walleye413 wrote:Am I the only one here who like the original Cloverfield? I thought it was a blast - inventive and fairly clever. Never understood the hate for it. And it goes to a point I made elsewhere, do a mid-budget movie, smart marketing and triple your investment. Seems like a studio win for me no matter how you want to play it.
Nah. I dug it as well. Has very little rewatch value though.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Lionsgate has scheduled Beast for a 5/11/2018 date. This I believe is the first Sundance pickup to get scheduled.