The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

A comedy starring Annette Bening and Bryan Cranston, Jerry and Marge Go Large, hits Paramount+ on June 17th. You'd think with those two leads, this would be a wide theatrical release or at least platformed into some markets where it would play well with older audiences.

Also, a sequel to Beavis and Butt-head Do America is supposed to hit the service later in the year, which will kick off another continuation of the show.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Father of the Bride hits HBO Max on June 16th. This could have easily made a good $40-50 million as a theatrical release.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Was anyone expecting another Dinesh D'Souza-penned conspiracy theory? Since it's an even-numbered year, he's got a QAnon-slanted rant of his own coming next Friday in a few theatres. Since it's being self-distributed, it probably won't get more than a few theatres before hitting on demand, similar to his last one (which completely bypassed theatres).

Meanwhile, it looks like The Bob's Burgers Movie will have a short attached titled My Butt Hazza Fever, which based on the title alone tells you the level of humor that you will be seeing.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Bullet Train has moved back a week to August 5th.

Also, I'll throw this in here since you guys might be interested: the primary cast of Francis Ford Coppola's Megapolis was revealed this morning. Adam Driver, Forest Whitaker, Nathalie Emmanuel, Jon Voight (?!) and Laurence Fishburne are at the top of the call sheet.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Seeing how no studio is attached at the moment (the project was previously at MGM) and Coppola's health having long been an issue, there's a strong possibility that Megalopolis never actually happens.

And do we really need Adam Driver in yet another big budget movie that likely flops? The guy has zero appeal and yet, he keeps getting cast in these big projects. He's nothing more than a taller Dane DeHaan and that guy knew to disappear from the scene after Valerian bombed.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Prey will arrive on Hulu on August 5th.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Emma Thompson has a movie hitting Hulu, Good Luck to You, Leo Grande, on June 17th. And the trend of movies aimed towards older audiences being streaming exclusives continues while something with very limited appeal like Family Camp gets a wide theatrical release.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Thirteen Lives is getting a limited release in August, followed by a Prime release a few weeks later. Not sure if this will affect Three Thousand Years Of Longing or other MGM films.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Screen203 wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 8:20 pm
Thirteen Lives is getting a limited release in August, followed by a Prime release a few weeks later. Not sure if this will affect Three Thousand Years Of Longing or other MGM films.
According to the Variety report, Samaritan and Anything's Possible (formerly What If?) will have the same release strategy while others remain strictly theatrical (Three Thousand Years of Longing seems to be among the titles in this camp). I should've figured those weasels at Amazon would've pulled this shit once the acquisition became official.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks they are already doing it with On the Count of Three. Only 19 theatres got the film this weekend and it had abysmal numbers.

As for Ten Thousand Years of Longing, Miller's in higher regard in film circles than Howard is and I'm sure he'd want his first film since Fury Road to have the biggest theatrical release. Also, I don't think Thirteen Lives was going to debut at a major film festival.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Damn ! I wish they had announced that before the draft :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Chienfantome wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 9:24 am
I have a feeling we'll be getting all kinds of surprises like this throughout the year :?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The biggest would be Sony actually pushing a streaming service that's not Pure Flix. While all of the others are buying into services, Sony sold Crackle and will only sell titles to the highest bidder if they don't think they can do well as theatrical-only.

Speaking of streaming services, anyone else notice that Universal's been making most of their movie titles exclusive to the Premium part of the site? It feels like they are trying to make it their version of Hulu (anyone remember when Hulu was free?), especially with the announcement of movies being released exclusively to Peacock.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

During the multiple delays of Top Gun: Maverick, Joseph Kosinski managed to get another movie produced. Teaming up with Netflix, The New Yorker, and the writers of the Deadpool movies, Spiderhead arrives on June 17th, only three weeks after Top Gun: Maverick opens.

By the way, that Bob's Burgers short will only be shown at Alamo Drafthouse locations. I have to imagine it will be on Hulu a few weeks later.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Spectre wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 11:38 am
Chienfantome wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 9:24 am
I have a feeling we'll be getting all kinds of surprises like this throughout the year :?
No doubt. Going to be a hell of a competitive minefield for all of us to navigate.
Buscemi2 wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 11:58 am
The biggest would be Sony actually pushing a streaming service that's not Pure Flix. While all of the others are buying into services, Sony sold Crackle and will only sell titles to the highest bidder if they don't think they can do well as theatrical-only.

Speaking of streaming services, anyone else notice that Universal's been making most of their movie titles exclusive to the Premium part of the site? It feels like they are trying to make it their version of Hulu (anyone remember when Hulu was free?), especially with the announcement of movies being released exclusively to Peacock.

There's zero chance that Sony reconsiders their position on streaming services anytime soon. Just look at the amount of money they've made of late by NOT having one. Netflix and Disney just handed them a ton of money for pay 1 and 2 rights for the next 5 years, they're saving hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars in marketing and production costs by not running 2 operations at the same time and if they're not happy with a title, they can just sell it off and be done with it. Positioning themselves as an arms dealer at a time where every single one of their rivals is bleeding money trying to pump up their streaming services was a brilliant move that should continue to pay off for them.

As for the Peacock thing, how is that surprising? It would make zero sense for them to them to not put their new and popular library titles behind a paywall.