The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

New Sony dates:

Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House (formerly The Silent Man) 9/29/2017
Novitate 10/27/2017
Happy End 12/22/2017
The Leisure Seeker 1/19/2018

Meanwhile, Fox has pulled Anubis from the 2018 schedule.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Looks like Anubis has been pulled from its March date. Bad news for Geezer and leestu.

Boosh, can you add Molly's Game (11/22/17) to the waiver wires?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I believe it was already taken in both divisions.

Related to STX, The Happytime Murders will finally arrive on 8/17/2018 after years (or what seems like years) of development hell and false starts.

And a few Fox dates:
Bad Times at the El Royale (it looks like this is a Drew Goddard project, unsure if he's writing or directing) 10/5/2018
The Force (not sure if this is X-Force or a separate X-Men film) 3/1/2019
Untitled Fox/Marvel Film 6/7/2019
Nimona (webcomic getting the animated treatment) 2/14/2020

Lastly, Lionsgate Premiere will release Leatherface on 10/20/2017 with a VOD debut a month earlier. I don't expect box office to be reported.

Edit: there are a couple more items. Paramount will open Top Gun: Maverick on 7/12/2019.

Meanwhile, Terminator 2 3-D will be shown exclusively at AMC theatres (maybe the AMC near me will get it but they'll likely just sit on it in favor of giving multiple screens to some DOA studio film) on August 25th. Supposedly, independents and non-AMC theatres will get it a couple weeks later (much like Veronica Mars a few years back).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Fox has five more undated Marvel projects in addition to the 6/7/2019 one. Those are opening on 11/22/2019, 3/13/2020, 6/26/2020, 10/2/2020, and 3/5/2021.

I'm going to guess one's Deadpool 3, another is an X-Force sequel, another is a New Mutants sequel, and the other three are likely standalone X-Men films (the long-delayed Gambit's been speculated but I think Fox is better off folding him into the franchise at this point, I think a standalone X-23 film could be another based on Logan's success).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi wrote:Fox has five more undated Marvel projects in addition to the 6/7/2019 one. Those are opening on 11/22/2019, 3/13/2020, 6/26/2020, 10/2/2020, and 3/5/2021.

I'm going to guess one's Deadpool 3, another is an X-Force sequel, another is a New Mutants sequel, and the other three are likely standalone X-Men films (the long-delayed Gambit's been speculated but I think Fox is better off folding him into the franchise at this point, I think a standalone X-23 film could be another based on Logan's success).

Do you think Infinity War is going to be the last of the "Avengers" canon of movies starring those characters? (Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor)

Yes, Spider-Man will probably keep going if Homecoming does well, but beyond that... I doubt we'll be getting sequels to Ant-Man or Black Panther, but stranger things have happened.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Ant-Man 2's coming next year (because Feige and company doesn't trust The Wasp to carry her own film). And I think Black Panther will be pretty big for Marvel (not The Avengers or Deadpool big, but I think $250 million is a strong possibility) and become a franchise.

And they'll make more Avengers movies with the current cast as they're still making money. Downey seems to getting along with Marvel again, Hemsworth's become like Sam Worthington and needs a franchise to keep him paid, Ruffalo seems to be undemanding and will do a big role to finance the smaller projects he likes, and Johansson will probably have to lower her pay after back-to-back flops. They may have to recast Evans as some point though as he's hinted retiring a few times to direct full-time (though that project was a bomb).

I'm still convinced the Hawkeye movie happens at some point as Renner could possibly draw audiences. I could also see them doing a film with the Netflix characters at some point though Marvel has denied any rumors (and Krysten Ritter even said she knew nothing about cameos of Defenders characters appearing in Infinity War when asked about said rumors).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

After Universal passed on it earlier this year, Lionsgate has entered talks to distribute the third Hellboy (which now has the subtitle Rise of the Blood Queen). Looks like any issues with the new direction have been settled.

Meanwhile, Sony will reissue Close Encounters of the Third Kind on September 1st. I'm not sure if this will be one or two theatres or a wide reissue like Ghostbusters was.

Lastly, Paramount will release Ang Lee's next film Gemini Man on 10/4/2019.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I was pretty sure i read somewhere that the next Hellboy movie would be a reboot

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Mike Mignola confirmed it would be a sequel. He's had a lot of control on the films so he'd know.

Meanwhile, Saban will release the Schwarzenegger comedy Why We're Killing Gunther so don't expect it to report box office.

Also, Lionsgate has pushed Forever My Girl to 1/26/2018 (from 10/27/2017). Not surprised, as it wouldn't have done a thing at Halloween and probably won't do much more in January (if its trailer is any indication). Meanwhile, it makes me wonder if Lionsgate will distribute William Friedkin's new film (which was picked up by the producer of Forever My Girl at Cannes) and will open that on Halloween instead along with Jigsaw.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New dates:

Where Did You Go, Bernadette? 5/11/2018 (not sure if Annapurna will open limited or wide, limited most likely)
I Feel Pretty (another Amy Schumer egofest) 6/29/2018

And Adam McKay's Dick Cheney biopic is now titled Backseat, a reference to Cheney's Secret Service codename. I'd probably gone with Puppeteer but maybe that's a little too on the nose.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi wrote:Mike Mignola confirmed it would be a sequel. He's had a lot of control on the films so he'd know.

Meanwhile, Saban will release the Schwarzenegger comedy Why We're Killing Gunther so don't expect it to report box office.

Also, Lionsgate has pushed Forever My Girl to 1/26/2018 (from 10/27/2017). Not surprised, as it wouldn't have done a thing at Halloween and probably won't do much more in January (if its trailer is any indication). Meanwhile, it makes me wonder if Lionsgate will distribute William Friedkin's new film (which was picked up by the producer of Forever My Girl at Cannes) and will open that on Halloween instead along with Jigsaw.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/8 ... oro-movies

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Huh. So much for lobbying to the crowd that wanted a direct sequel.

In other news, Atlas Distribution (yes, they're still around) will open 9/11 wide on September 8th. But seeing how the biggest name is Charlie Sheen, I wouldn't anything from it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi wrote: I wouldn't anything from it.
Wouldn't WHAT??? :) (Sorry, editor's brain.)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I get ahead of myself often and forgot to edit that.

Yeah. Anyway, I wouldn't expect much of a box office result from this one.

In other news, Disney will release Planes 3 on 4/12/2019. Seeing how Fire and Rescue was a box office disappointment, I definitely wasn't expecting another one for theatres. Maybe they think planes in space (the plot for this one) will sell better than planes fighting wildfires. Also related to Disney, the plot for the next non-sequel Pixar film (currently undated but it looks to be the 3/13/2020 untitled Pixar as it's already in pre-production) has been revealed. It will be a fantasy film with magical creatures living in the suburbs (think Monsters Inc. meets the Harry Potter franchise) and two fatherless children entering a far away land to see their deceased father. If some people can get past the magic aspect, it could be a big hit.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

More new Disney dates:

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms 11/2/2018
Dumbo 3/29/2019
Mulan TBA 2019 (from 11/2/2018)

And some Sony dates:

Roman Israel, Esq. 11/3/2017
All the Money in the World 12/8/2017 (will now be a TriStar release instead of Columbia)

Also, Pure Flix has given Samson a 2/16/2018 date after pulling it from the 2017 schedule. Let's see if this date sticks.