The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

That makes five wide releases on August 9th. I have to imagine something moves up (either Borderlands or The Fire Inside, both of which have been complete for two years).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Yeah, Borderlands, The Fire Inside and/or Cuckoo is definitely moving. Harold and the Purple Crayon is the only wide release currently on the 2nd, so one of them will likely move there.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The date for The Fire Inside seems to have been chosen so MGM can promote it during the Olympics. But why not have the movie lead into the Olympics and open on July 12th? Fly Me to the Moon, which already has trailers out, could move up to It Ends with Us's old date, which would leave only Longlegs to be at the July 12th spot. If The Fire Within moved up, it could get its theatrical audience before the Olympics and hit Prime after at the current date.

Don't think Cuckoo moves up. With Neon concentrated on Longlegs, it might not make sense to have two ad campaigns for horror films from the same studio running at the same time. Releasing both less than a month apart would be good for the few drive-ins that could book Cuckoo and want a second feature but probably not for others.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The first entry of the Spider-Mondays series, a reissue of the 2002 Spider-Man, did pretty well. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony eventually did a wide reissue of this one.

Spider-Man 2 gets a one-night only reissue this Monday, followed by the third Tobey Maguire entry, both Andrew Garfield movies, and the current Tom Holland series.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Movie Critic has been officially shelved, which is probably for the best as Tarantino had decided to rework it into a Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood spinoff and put the main character of The Movie Critic in the background, morphing the original concept into an entirely different film.

In other news, Disney+ have acquired the streaming rights to Let it Be and will release it on May 8th. You don't have to watch the laggy copy archive.org has anymore.

Lastly, Transformers One will now open on September 20th.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on April 18th, 2024, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Transformers One is now set to open the same day as The Wild Robot (which I think looks considerably better), I guess the latter will move to either October or late August.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Universal has another animated movie in Piece by Piece in October while August is essentially a dump month. The only kid-friendly option in November is Red One but that will skew older.

November 1st would be your best option for The Wild Robot. The start of the holiday season and you can take advantage of days students get school off (the 5th for Election Day and the 11th for Veteran's Day).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I wonder if Universal might rethink releasing Back in Black wide. Early word isn't good.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

No but it's doing good business in the UK. Of course, that's because she's more famous here, but she's also one of the best-selling female artists of all time in the US, so it's probably worth the risk

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Honestly the reception isn't nearly as bad many feared, so it should be fine-especially since whatever it makes during the US run is just gravy for Universal.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

A 50 on Metacritic isn't very good, especially given how heavily Universal is promoting it.

But then again, the similarly-panned Bohemian Rhapsody was a box office monster.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Avatar: The Last Airbender animated movie has been pushed to 1/30/2026 (from 10/10/2025). Speaking of Paramount, Interestellar will be reissued on 9/27/2024, mostly likely exclusive to IMAX 70mm and standard 70mm because Nolanbros are lemmings who brag about taking long flights just to see a movie on film.

And Cuckoo moves up one week to 8/2/2024. Neon must want to retain theatres that likely pull Longlegs after three weeks.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Hit Man hits theatres on Memorial Day weekend before hitting Netflix. Let's hope they cut a better trailer that doesn't make it look like a forgettable 2000's rom-com before then.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

New dates:
The Watchers 6/7/24 (from 6/14/24)
Between the Temples 8/23/24
The Return 9/27/24
The Wild Robot 9/27/24 (from 9/20/24)
Vaillant One 1/24/25 (War action flick starring Lana Condor and Chase Stokes that was just picked up by Briarcliff)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Fancy Dance will get a one-week theatrical run on June 21st before hitting Apple+ a week later.