The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

In another late move for an Oscar push, Neon will open I, Tonya on 12/8/2017 and slowly expand throughout January. Not sure if they've got the muscle to get Robbie (who's due) a nomination though.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

If the reviews out of Toronto are out are any indication, Robbie should be able to land a nomination.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Yes, but Neon and the current Miramax aren't players like Fox, A24, and Amazon are. Fox is going to give a big push for both Hawkins and McDormand while a number of insiders have Annette Bening getting in there (though Sony Pictures Classics has fallen a bit in recent years and it's Bening playing another "couldn't get Meryl Streep" role). That leaves two open spots (I've seen Streep in there and Spielberg's got the guild muscle) and a number of possibilities.

Related to Oscars, A24 has moved up Lady Bird to 11/3/2017 to sell it as their big awards film. Reviews have been great but I feel the Academy's just going to see it as another "semi-famous actor gets enough clout to direct" movie. The recession themes and 2000's setting (typical Hollywood pretending the 90's never happened despite box office stating otherwise) could make it a difficult sell at the box office (I can't see it playing wide but A24's had some odd release platforms).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It: Chapter Two now has a date: September 6th, 2019. Looks like casting's going to take longer than originally thought (some flashback sequences have already been filmed).

Meanwhile, production began today on perhaps the most ambitious production since The Hobbit trilogy: Avatar 2, Avatar 3, Avatar 4, & Avatar 5. Four sequels, one long production (I'm expecting seven to eight years in total).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

There are no recession themes in Lady Bird. It's set in the early 00's.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I read a synopsis for Lady Bird mentioning the story being set during one of the early 2000's recessions (yes, there were recessions in the 2000's before The Great Recession) and one of the subplots involving the character played by Tracy Letts (he's been everywhere lately, hasn't he?) losing his job. The only recession-themed movies in recent memory that made money were Up in the Air and The Big Short and this doesn't have the star power or marketing muscle those had.

I'll be surprised if it can do $5 million, especially in a crowded market with easier to sell movies (in addition, I bet a lot of people in the US are going to think it's a film about Lady Bird Johnson, especially with last year's Jackie).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The untitled DC film on 7/27/2018 is actually going to be an animated film unrelated to the DCEU. A movie based on the Teen Titans Go series has been placed at the spot.

Meanwhile, Universal will open Eli Roth's The House With a Clock on Its Walls (with a surprisingly good cast for a Roth film) on 9/21/2018.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates! New dates!

I Love You, Daddy 11/17/2017 limited, 12/1/2017 expansion
The Little Stranger 8/31/2018
Boy Erased 9/28/2018
Mary, Queen of Scots 11/2/2018
Untitled Terminator Project 7/26/2019

And a couple of distribution notes:

- Amazon will now self-distribute Gringo instead of STX. The release date remains at 3/9/2018 but it may become a limited release now.

- Bleecker Street has picked up Disobedience, the Rachel McAdams/Rachel Weisz Orthodox Judaism-themed drama. I imagine we'll see this one in the spring.

- Sony Pictures Classics will release the literary drama The Wife either at the end of the year or early next year.

Edit: and Paramount has now announced something I hoped wouldn't happen: an Americanized version of Your Name. I had no idea how this is going to work.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Because there was no way that a film called Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda would ever find a wide audience, Fox has renamed Greg Berlanti's new film Love, Simon. It will be interesting to see how this will be marketed.

And in distribution news, Bleecker Street will release the Jesse Eisenberg comedy The Art of Self-Defense sometime in late 2018.

Lastly, one new date:
Untitled Men in Black Spinoff (not the originally announced MIB 23 project, this will have new agents) 5/17/2019

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Entertainment Studios has picked up Hostiles. I have to wonder how much for the final price was (I'm guessing between $12-15 million).

Meanwhile, Lionsgate will open the Seth Rogen/Charlize Theron comedy Flarsky on 2/8/2019 while Bleecker Street pushes The Man Who Invented Christmas back to 11/22/2017 (from 11/3/2017) while Entertainment Studios moves up Chappaquiddick to the same date (from 12/8/2017).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Trolls 2 2/14/2010 (from 4/10/2020)
Fast 9 4/10/2020 (from 4/19/2019, the delay's expected to affect Fast 10 as well)
Bob's Burgers (yes, a movie based on Tumblr's favorite cartoon) 7/17/2020

And the remaining Avatars were given dates of 12/17/2021, 12/20/2024, and 12/19/2025. Not sure if I already mentioned that.

Meanwhile, Super Size Me 2 will play theatrically after all in a distribution arrangement similar to Kedi where YouTube will use a distribution partner. Samuel Goldwyn released the original in tandem with Roadside Attractions (pre-Lionsgate). I'm expecting one of the fringe distributors, such as Gravitas Ventures, to release it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bride of Frankenstein has now been shelved due to the failure of The Mummy and will lose its 2/15/2019 date (I imagine they'll replace it with a Blumhouse title). Hopefully they'll do the right thing and get del Toro (the only director who should be making this) on it after Fantastic Voyage is finished.

In other news, The Weinstein Company may be nearing some changes. Due to the recent sexual harassment allegations, the board of directors are planning to remove Harvey Weinstein as head of the company. Wouldn't be surprised if the company was placed on sale as well (I could see Fox, Lionsgate, Neon, and Annapurna all showing interest) unless Bob got the position.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The Death Wish remake just got pushed back to March 2nd.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Weinstein takes advantage of the delay by moving up Polaroid to Thanksgiving (one less movie for me to cover) while STX delays Molly's Game to a limited Christmas opening with a wide expansion on 1/5/2018.

Meanwhile, an untitled Blumhouse title will indeed replace Bride of Frankenstein at its old spot (Universal slotted the placeholder at Valentine's Day proper).

Also, it looks like Gambit's back on with Gore Verbinski now set to direct. Sure beats Doug Liman.

Edit: I just found out that Amazon will self-distribute You Were Never Really Here on 2/23/2018. At least one distributor isn't trying to force something into December.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Pigeon Impossible is now titled Spies in Disguise and will star Will Smith and Tom Holland. Is Smith that desperate to be working?

Also, Teen Titans Go's title has been amended to Teen Titans Go! to the Movies (looks like a Star Trek Into Darkness situation where there is no subtitle) to separate it from the TV show.

Meanwhile, looks like Creed 2 will be coming soon after all. Sylvester Stallone will over the directing duties (so maybe Adonis will fight Drago's son in this one).