The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by transformers2 »

Deadline reported today that STX is going to operate exclusively as a production company moving forward. While there wasn't an official confirmation about where their completed films (Operation Fortune, The Marsh King's Daughter, Bed Rest, Ferrari-which just wrapped shooting) are going to end up, Lionsgate is expected to take on Ferrari and Operation Fortune is being shopped to a streamer for its US release (its apparently going theatrical outside the States and its rollout will start in January).
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I knew Operation Fortune would end up on streaming. I have to imagine the rest will as well (yes, even Ferrari, seeing how Lionsgate is pretty much releasing the same film day-and-date next month with that Lamborghini biopic starring the C-list version of David Harbour).

In other news, the director of Marcel the Shell with Shoes On is remaking Lilo & Stitch for Disney+. If they do it as a mockumentary, this could really be something.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
November 11th, 2022, 8:58 pm
I knew Operation Fortune would end up on streaming. I have to imagine the rest will as well (yes, even Ferrari, seeing how Lionsgate is pretty much releasing the same film day-and-date next month with that Lamborghini biopic starring the C-list version of David Harbour).

In other news, the director of Marcel the Shell with Shoes On is remaking Lilo & Stitch for Disney+. If they do it as a mockumentary, this could really be something.
If Lionsgate passes on it, I could see The Marsh King's Daughter going to Sony or possibly Universal and being released next summer in an attempt to recreate the success of Where The Crawdads Sing. I don't think the book is anywhere near as popular, though.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Marsh King's Daughter is from a career hack and the leads' time as being name actors have passed. Where the Crawdads Sing had up-and-coming leads and an endorsement from a popular lifestyle brand. Also, the title The Marsh King's Daughter makes it sound more like a low-quality fantasy film than a thriller about childhood trauma.

This one has Netflix written all over it (even though Amazon got international rights).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Another wide title moves away from Avatar. Spoiler Alert will now expand wide on December 9th, not really adding much to a dead weekend.

Meanwhile, it looks like del Toro's Pinocchio will be expanding wide on November 18th. Don't expect box office to be reported though.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Apparently, Marlowe is no longer opening on December 2nd and will have a new 2023 date announced in the next few days. I guess the disappointing festival response made Open Road realize there was no need to have it out next month.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The latest big Netflix production that will be popular for a week before being forgotten, The Pale Blue Eye, will arrive on your computer or tablet or whatever on January 6th. An Oscar run was already previously scheduled for December 23rd.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

And speaking of Netflix, Greta Gerwig is rumored to be directing the first two installments of their Narnia reboot. If true, this will be a big move in making the series wide-appealed again instead of being the Evangelical Harry Potter that some fans have been pushing it as.

In other news, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish will be sneak previewed on November 26th.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

As I figured, The Whale's wide date has been delayed. It will now open limited on December 9th before expanding wide on the 21st.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like we're getting a seventh Alien, which is confusingly being called Alien 5, as a director has been signed on and a deal is being reached with the star of Sofia Coppola's newest to headline (which seeing the career trajectories of the leads of the last two actors tasked to replace Sigourney Weaver, might not be a good career move). Rumors suggest a Hulu debut but considering how much Disney wanted that Alien streaming series to happen, it could end up being theatrical.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Blumhouse and James Wan's Atomic Monster are in talks to merge. As expected, Universal would be releasing their film projects.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bleecker Street has scheduled Mafia Mamma for a limited opening on 4/14/2023. It wouldn't be surprising if it ended up going wide right away.

Meanwhile, 80 for Brady has been confirmed to be a theatrical exclusive.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like we know what Spielberg's next film is going to be. Bradley Cooper will star in a new film based on the Frank Bullitt character originated by Steve McQueen. Rather than a remake, it will be a stand-alone film produced by the McQueen estate. So technically, it's a sequel but not really a sequel.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Women Talking's limited release has been pushed to December 23rd. No word on when it will expand wide

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Son will now open wide on 1/20/2023. The November 25th limited date will now be a one week Oscar run.