The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

But you compared it to Sausage Party. Don't make yourself sound like Ancient Aliens guy and be like "I'm not saying it will be Sausage Party, but it will be like Sausage Party".

I read it exactly how you worded it and you wrote yourself into a wall pretty quickly. James Franco is a has-been, no one wants to deal with his crap anymore, and once it's finished and screened in a real festival with more critical audiences, we will see it as another one of his typical vanity projects. Of course, we are still buying into Joe Swanberg's slapped together in two days gabfests thinking one of them will actually be worth the time.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:But you compared it to Sausage Party. Don't make yourself sound like Ancient Aliens guy and be like "I'm not saying it will be Sausage Party, but it will be like Sausage Party".

I read it exactly how you worded it and you wrote yourself into a wall pretty quickly. James Franco is a has-been, no one wants to deal with his crap anymore, and once it's finished and screened in a real festival with more critical audiences, we will see it as another one of his typical vanity projects. Of course, we are still buying into Joe Swanberg's slapped together in two days gabfests thinking one of them will actually be worth the time.
Your conspiracy theories never fail to be a delight.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:But you compared it to Sausage Party. Don't make yourself sound like Ancient Aliens guy and be like "I'm not saying it will be Sausage Party, but it will be like Sausage Party".
Really ?
Chienfantome wrote:I don't expect this kind of success, but there is certainly more potential here than another regular James Franco directed film.
When I brought up Sausage Party, I wrote this. I don't expect this kind of success means "It won't do Sausage party numbers", I thought it was pretty clear. But there is certainly more potential here than another regular James Franco directed film means "But there 's no way this only does 23.147 dollars at the box-office.

So what i meant (I thought it was obvious though), that this could be something..... something.... I know you have it... something, that's right, something in-between. Something in between nothingness and huge. yep, something mid-level.

But damn I wish I could talk and Ancient Aliens language, you got that right ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The intent of your post was crystal clear Chien, Boosh just wanted to go another on tear about how much he hates Franco and that SXSW reviews can't be trusted because it's not Cannes.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Some new changes per BOM.

All these are from an outfit called "Parade Deck Films". Anyone heard of them?
Lycan - 8/4/17
The Gracefield Incident - 7/21/17
Superpowerless - 7/7/17
The Here After - 5/26/17
The Eyes - 4/7/17

And then, another studio I've never heard of:
The Student (Under the Milky Way) - 4/14/17
Tomorrow (Under the Milky Way) - 4/21/17

Bad Dads (STX Entertainment) was 7/4/17, now TBD
Step Sisters (Broad Green Pictures) was 3/31/17, now TBD
The Girl in the Spider's Web (Sony/Columbia) - 10/5/18 (is this the Dragon Tattoo sequel?)
Den of Thieves (STX Entertainment) - 1/19/18
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Parade Deck Films seems to be a distributor on the level of Gravitas Ventures or one of the smaller indies that picks up older festival titles that failed to get distribution for low prices. Their biggest release so far is a Banksy documentary that spent some time on the shelf (and is apparently not very good).

Under the Milky Way is a VOD distributor that mainly specializes in French films (you can find their titles on Vudu, I know) that's only now breaking into theatrical distribution. The Student sounds pretty good from what I've read (and it won an award at Cannes) and its themes could lead to a decent box office result for a smaller film.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote: The Girl in the Spider's Web (Sony/Columbia) - 10/5/18 (is this the Dragon Tattoo sequel?)
It is. Rooney Mara and David Fincher aren't returning though.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

As I explained, Sony finally decided to pay Fincher his $5 million in the pay-or-play deal that he signed several years back. This is what was holding up the sequel.

Fede Alvarez is now directing and auditions have begun (several actors have been rumored but since Sony wants to do it on a smaller budget, I'm guessing that Alvarez's frequent collaborator Jane Levy is cast).

I also don't see the October 5th date sticking. The Girl on the Train (another adaptation of a popular female-led novel) underperformed at that spot last year and Aquaman has a strong shot of breaking Gravity's October record. I'm thinking it moves closer to Halloween.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Turns out, Aquaman blinked instead. Warner Bros. will now open on 12/21/2018 (maybe trying to get Sony to move Animated Spider-Man?). The Untitled Fox/Lightstorm Film (definitely not Avatar 2 though Wikipedia's still convinced, most likely the Alien Nation remake) will probably stay.

Other new dates:
Bastards 12/22/2017 (from TBA 2017) (this looks to be replacing the Untitled PG-13 Comedy, though a re-edit of this one is likely as well)
Horse Soldiers (Jerry Bruckheimer-produced CIA vs. Taliban drama) 1/19/2018
Skyscraper (Dwayne Johnson on a Chinese high-rise) 7/13/2018

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And The Girl with the Spider's Web blinks too, as it will now open on 10/19/2018. In its place: Venom, Sony's attempt at aping the success of Deadpool (though Venom is probably the most overrated villain in the Marvel canon and really would only seem to appeal to 90's nostalgia at first glance).

Other new dates:
Wind River 8/4/2017 (I don't expect this date to stick though)
The Only Living Boy in New York (Marc Webb's second film this year) 8/11/2017
All Saints (Sony's yearly religious film, should play well with the right campaign) 8/25/2017
Kingsman: The Golden Circle 9/29/2017 (from 10/6/2017) (I was convinced this would get pushed back as the script was still being worked on in January)
Mary Magdalene (the people behind Lion are already striking the iron while it's hot) 11/24/2017
The Current War (The Imitation Game 2: Cumberbatch Turns the Tables?) 12/22/2017 limited, 1/19/2018 wide
Untitled Greg Berlanti Film (aka Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, likely getting renamed as Fox is planning it as a wide release) 3/16/2018
The Darkest Minds (the live-action debut of Jennifer Yuh Nelson, director of the Kung Fu Panda sequels) 9/14/2018

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New dates:

Wakefield (Bryan Cranston agoraphobia drama) 5/19/2017
Churchill 6/2/2017 (from 4/28/2017, don't know why I never listed this one)
Patti Cake$ 7/7/2017
Step 8/4/2017 (from 7/7/2017)
American Assassin 9/15/2017 (looks like Lionsgate isn't going to do much this planned franchise starter from CBS)
Battle of the Sexes 9/22/2017 (I expected Fox to position this one for Oscars)
Thank You for Your Service 10/27/2017
Let it Snow TBA 2017 (from 11/22/2017) (I'm convinced this anthology film is dead at this point, having gone through two scripts and John Green hysteria being long over)
Extinction (yet another evil aliens attack Earth movie) 1/26/2018
Untitled Entebbe Project (Jose Padhilla returns to his roots of the social-themed action thriller) 3/16/2018

Meanwhile in bizarre reissue news, Sony is putting Passengers back in theatres this weekend. I'm not sure why (edit: it's to get it up to $100 million).

And Smurfs: The Lost Village will be getting afternoon sneak previews this Saturday. Sony seems to be taking a page from Universal's playbook from when they sneaked Sing before opening.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New dates:

Baby Driver 6/28/2017 (from 8/11/2017) (something's going to get pushed for sure now, my best guess is Wish Upon)
Stronger 9/22/2017 (strange that Lionsgate's distributing after getting burned by the other Boston Strong movie a few months back)
Suburbicon 11/3/2017 (surprisingly going wide immediately rather than limited first)
Action Point (apparently, this is actually Johnny Knoxville's film on the notorious Action Park, legal issues might have led to a name change) 3/23/2018
A Quiet Place (John Krasinski gets another shot at directing with this vanity project for Michael Bay) 4/13/2018
Untitled Doctor Dolittle Project (Robert Downey Jr. is the one who talks to the animals this time) 5/24/2019

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Moving Baby Driver from the barren wasteland of mid-August to the clusterfuck that is late June seems like a huge mistake.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I dunno, it has no direct competition that weekend and probably skews older than Spiderman's audience. Think it was ever going to be a modest hit and a June date could help that.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Baby Driver is an R-rated film from a cult director whose last US-produced film was a bomb. I think Sony will be happy with $30 million domestic (it will likely make most of its money in Europe).

Meanwhile, I really don't think Spider-Man: Homecoming will be that big even with the Avengers connection. It comes just three years after a badly received Spider-Man film and the trailer seems to convey no idea what the film is even about (all it really seems to show is John Hughes-style teen situations and Tony Stark randomly being there to force the Avengers material across). The last thing we needed was another Spider-Man in high school adventure (is it really that hard to show him grown up?).

Of these new dates, I'm personally most interested in Action Point. The history of Action Park is alternatively interesting and horrifying (with some elements of bizarre) and I hope this film doesn't pander to the rose-colored glasses crowd and try to find positives that never really existed (I expect Knoxville and company to make something not too far off from Jackass but with a plot).