The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

I can't imagine more than a few theatres will do this, as a first-run IMAX title would win out 99 times out of 100. Even on a slower night like Wednesday.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

From looking at my area, the re-release of Ex Machina is playing at most IMAX theaters near me. Tickets for the other films in the series do not seem to be up yet, so how wide they release may depend on the success or failure of this re-release (which - although pretty unlikely - I am hoping will run more than one day, as I have other obligations on the day it's playing).

I'm very curious to see what other films they will re-release as part of the series. I assume most will be from their horror catalogue, along with Everything Everywhere All At Once.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd figure the A24 titles that already have IMAX masters (The Disaster Artist, Everything Everywhere All at Once, Pi, Beau is Afraid, Stop Making Sense) will be included.

The main reason why Ex Machina is getting a blow-up is because it will have an extended trailer/making-of featurette for Civil War included. Civil War is getting IMAX screens for at least one week (unless Civil War turns out to be really popular, it likely gets replaced with a previously released film in its second week, either a return of Dune or a blow-up of a title that currently doesn't have IMAX capabilities such as Kung Fu Panda 4).

In other news, CatVideoFest 2024 has been announced for an August 2nd limited opening.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Kinds of Kindness has been dated for June 21st. Kind of a shock its releasing so early in the year, so I guess Disney doesn't like its awards chances.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's been on the shelf for a while and since Poor Things won several Oscars, Disney probably wants to cash in on recent success rather than keep it unavailable for longer.

And that's a terrible title. Kinds of Kindness sounds like a Hallmark Channel movie. With And, you could cut a pretty good teaser trailer just on the title.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

With Love-a David Leitch-backed project which marks the first post-EEAO star vehicle for Ke Huy Quan and directorial debut of veteran stunt coordinator Jonathan Eusebio-is set to release on February 7th, 2025.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Doesn't it feel like every Universal title now is a Blumhouse title or an 87North title?

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

In the last month or so? Yes. Overall? No.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I mean, it feels as if they pad out their slates with Jason Blum or David Leitch-produced titles and aren't even trying to do anything different when it's not a big tentpole. Sure, you also have Monkeypaw but Blum had a hand in that company being formed.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I imagine Disney/Searchlight is attempting to follow the (relative) success of Asteroid City last year by its June release date for Kinds Of Kindness. That being said, even with the success of The Favourite and Poor Things I'm not sure Yorgos Lanthimos is a Wes Anderson-level draw, and (if it is opening wide on the 21st) I can't see it doing much more than 20 m in total, especially considering it's anthological premise.

While I would say Universal has a lot of 87Eleven and Blumhouse projects coming up, from a financial standpoint I can see why they greenlight so many. They are relatively (almost always in Blumhouse's case) cheap to produce for the most part, and tend to bring out a reliable audience, with seemingly at least one breakout hit for both a year. That being said, I do feel like Blumhouse needs better quality control; while still profitable, releases like Night Swim and Imaginary have done mediocre business, especially considering the drought in horror recently.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Warner Brothers' animated The Cat in the Hat featuring Bill Hader as the voice of the titular character and Quinta Brunson, Bowen Yang, Xochitl Gomez, Matt Berry and Paula Pell in supporting roles has been dated for March 6, 2026.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've only heard of Bill Hader.

Anyway, Shrek 2 returns to theatres on April 12th. I saw a poster on display tonight.

Also on April 12th, the inspirational golf drama The Long Game is getting what seems to be at least a semi-wide release by a new label called Mucho Mas. The film premiered last year at SXSW.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Rebel Moon Part Two is getting dumped onto Netflix on April 19th.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

The trailer looks marginally better than Part One, but I'll still wait for the complete R-rated version this time around.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Is there really going to be any interest in a director's cut of Rebel Moon? Given the terrible response of Part One, trying to pull a Snydercut and release a longer version would make no sense at this point.

Not even the biggest Snyder fanboys are defending Rebel Moon.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on March 21st, 2024, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.