The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Chienfantome »

I always miss informations from your posts in this thread Boosch, because you often edit them to re-add informations, but as I only read them once when they appear as new, every time you edit it, I miss it. My advice, don't edit your posts here to re-add new infos, just put them in a new post, this way, we can actually see them ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I would but I don't want to have a million tiny posts that would cause the site to crash and chaos to reign. I once got banned from a site for posting too often (they claimed I was single-handedly crashing the site, just because I had a high posts per day average).

Besides, I thought it was preferred to have a single post jam-packed with material over several tiny, Twitter-like posts with a single nugget.

I'm sorry in advance.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I understand why you do it that way, I don't blame you. But it's true that I sometimes don't see all the things written in your posts because of that, because I go read posts that are new, but I don't check if a post I've already read has been edited or not.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Chienfantome wrote:I noticed that the title to "Granite Mountain" has been slightly changed, to "Granite Mountain Hotshots"......
That way the sequel can be called "Granite Mountain Hotshots: Part Deux."
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Lol. Brilliant!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Magnolia will release the Palme d'Or-winning The Square on October 27th. The PTA field is wide open that weekend so it should be good for 8-10 points by the end of its run.

Meanwhile, Lionsgate has changed the title of Saw: Legacy to Jigsaw. This ties in well with plans to finally release Leatherface (the long-on-the-shelf prequel to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) through Lionsgate Premiere in October. Leatherface and Jigsaw, the marketing does itself.

Also, Amazon has given an 11/17/2017 release to Richard Linklater's Last Flag Flying and a 12/1/2017 date to Woody Allen's Wonder Wheel (I didn't see a distribution partner but I'm guessing Annapurna will handle these) while A24 will open The Florida Project on 10/6/2017.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New date:

Untouchable 3/9/2018 (Weinstein will bypass awards after deciding Kevin Hart wouldn't be available to promote the film in December)

Meanwhile, A24 and DirecTV have picked up Dog Years, a new film starring Burt Reynolds (when's the last time he had a movie play in theatres?). Also, Fox will co-finance and distribute Yorgos Lanithmos' next film The Favourite (with Emma Stone as Queen Anne, because no one learned from The Other Boelyn Girl that Americans playing British royalty doesn't work).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New Sony dates:

Proud Mary 1/12/2018 (from 1/26/2018)
White Boy Rick 1/26/2018 (from 1/12/2018)
Alpha (formerly The Solutrean) 3/2/2018 (from 9/15/2017)
Cadaver 8/24/2018 (from 2/2/2018)

And Paramount will open Overlord (which has all but been confirmed to be Cloverfield 4) on 10/26/2018.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Rumors are suggesting that Han Solo might get pushed back. Lord and Miller have left the project and a number of directors have been suggested to take over (Tony Gilroy is not one of them). The favorite to finish the film (and likely do post-production and possibly reshoots) is reportedly Ron Howard.

Meanwhile, Lord and Miller have been supposedly back with Warner Bros., talking about directing The Flash (a project that's been rumored to have Robert Zemeckis involved after he finishes with The Women of Marwen at Universal).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I was so looking forward to Lord and Miller doing Han Solo. The idea of Ron "Oscar Bait" Howard picking it up disgusts me. And it again makes me worry that LucasFilm are doing an MCU and pretending to hire talented directors only to balk at their vision and fire those that don't make something safe and generic.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And because Paramount just can't decide, studio brass have confirmed they will be opening Annihilation later this year (as cast members had been saying) instead of next year as initially announced. When remains unknown.

Meanwhile, Universal has been talking about bringing Downton Abbey to the screen. There are hopes to begin filming next year but who knows (I could also see a film bridging the series' events with Gosford Park, of which the series was initially developed to be a prequel to).

Also, Pure Flix has taken Samson off of the release schedule (as there was no way they would have a historical film ready in just five months) and given its 9/29/2017 date to A Question of Faith, which I imagine is a lot like The Case for Christ but with God's Not Dead-level production values.

And in name changes, Jurassic World 2 is now Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. The date is still 6/22/2018. Sony has changed the title of Inner City to Roman Israel, Esq. and looks to open around Christmas (though I think early 2018 is more likely).

Lastly, The Film Arcade has announced their first wide release for 9/1/2017. The Lake Bell-directed I Do...Until I Don't (sounds like a Lifetime movie) is set to get the 600 or so theatres against Inhumans, Renegades, and Unlocked.

Edit: because new news can't stop coming in, Lionsgate has scheduled a pair of Tyler Perry productions for next year. She's Living My Life will open on 3/30/2018 while A Madea Family Funeral for 8/3/2018.

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Where did you see the news about annihilation?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

HSX. They linked an interview from Deadline (I think, it may have been Variety) with one of Paramount's new executives. If they can find a slot for it, that makes three movies competing for the same audience in the year's last two months. Something might get pushed to early 2018 (probably Suburbicon).

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

In a possible wild card for the awards race, Clint Eastwood has announced plans to fast-track The 15:17 to Paris for a Christmas release. However, filming is not set to start until August. Now, Eastwood works quick (even at 87) but I can't see him having a film ready in just four months (even filmmakers who have, like Kevin Smith did on Red State, went back and reworked their films after its premiere).

I think it's more likely we see this one in March or April 2018.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

He's already shot and completed films before the end of a year after having started filming during the summer, but even for him, August seems like a bit late to get the film released on Christmas, yeah.
Fluctuat nec mergitur