The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Chienfantome »

Cinemas re-open tomorrow, June 22, here in France, with a 50% capacity limit. But the way things are re-opening here, I bet they will re-open full capacity before september, for better or worse.
As a result a number of US films that went direct VOD across the Atlantic are opening in theaters here, like The King of Staten Island or Irresistible.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Assuming Judd Apatow doesn't block an international theatrical run of King of Staten Island.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My Spy is on Amazon Prime this Friday, the 26th.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

In staggeringly unexpected news, Open Road has been revived. The Liam Nesson action vehicle Honest Thief is slated to be their inaugural release. No word on what else they're going to be distributing.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Open Road was headed by the same guy who has Honest Thief's rights. He probably got the name in a bankruptcy auction.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Following in Scoob!'s footsteps, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run will bow on demand and on CBS All Access. I have to wonder much like Warner Bros.' decision, Paramount is telling us this one isn't very good.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't think it means the movie is bad. My first thought is that even when things start opening up when will it be socially acceptable to take your kids to the theater? I don't see kids movies doing well in theaters for a long while. They probably should release it on demand (it's best if they don't wait) but why All Access? CBS All Access isn't really geared towards kids, movies, or new releases (besides current CBS shows) so it doesn't make sense there at all to begin with.

The kids shows on there are from when I was a kid (Super Mario, Sonic, Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff) or stuff that was on when my kid was small a decade ago (Danny Phantom, Sam & Cat). And there is zero SpongeBob there. The service is currently propped up by originals (Star Trek spinoffs, Good Fight), reality tv/game shows (Amazing Race, Survivor, only place to see Big Brother Live Feeds), and current CBS shows. To even get to movies you have to go to a nearly hidden drop down menu and the newest released movies are Jeff Who Lives at Home, Young Adult, and Benjamin Button.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

SpongeBob is pretty big with adults. That might be the reason.

But Scoob! was pushed to on demand partially because it was a difficult production and as we found out, the movie wasn't very good. Warner Bros. was trying to sneak a dud out there with little fanfare. It feels like they are doing the same with SpongeBob.

And speaking of sequels, Chicken Run 2 has been announced with Netflix possibly getting worldwide rights.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

W wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 10:27 am
I don't think it means the movie is bad. My first thought is that even when things start opening up when will it be socially acceptable to take your kids to the theater? I don't see kids movies doing well in theaters for a long while. They probably should release it on demand (it's best if they don't wait) but why All Access? CBS All Access isn't really geared towards kids, movies, or new releases (besides current CBS shows) so it doesn't make sense there at all to begin with.

The kids shows on there are from when I was a kid (Super Mario, Sonic, Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff) or stuff that was on when my kid was small a decade ago (Danny Phantom, Sam & Cat). And there is zero SpongeBob there. The service is currently propped up by originals (Star Trek spinoffs, Good Fight), reality tv/game shows (Amazing Race, Survivor, only place to see Big Brother Live Feeds), and current CBS shows. To even get to movies you have to go to a nearly hidden drop down menu and the newest released movies are Jeff Who Lives at Home, Young Adult, and Benjamin Button.
In the press release announcing the SpongeBob move, they indicated that All Access is getting an overhaul in early 2021. If they're going to be greatly expanding their content library, a new SpongeBob movie could be a good way to lure people in.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Just saw that Animal Crackers is finally getting released. It's streaming on Netflix on July 24.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

How long before the director makes slanderous and untrue comments about Netflix like he did the previous distributor?

Meanwhile, some new dates:

Cut Throat City 7/17/2020
Words on Bathroom Walls 8/7/2020
Ava 9/25/2020 (getting dumped as a day-and-date title)

In reissue news, Regal is listing The Empire Strikes Back, Unforgiven, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Rocky, Inside Out, and Jurassic Park to be playing with Unhinged on July 10th in their theatres. In addition, Disney has lifted restrictions on select titles for repertory screenings (I've noticed The Avengers and Zootopia on some theatre listings).

And Paramount is replacing Warner Bros. as the distributor for Scream 5. Warner Bros. had right of first refusal on the project.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bloodshot and Black Panther are also on the July 10th Regal lineup.

Regal has also announced these titles for July 17th: Inception (an IMAX reissue is also set to happen then), Sonic the Hedgehog, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Iron Man, Jaws, Interstellar, and Beauty and the Beast (the live-action one).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Mulan getting delayed rumors have been confirmed by Disney. I think it would be easier to just delay it in China and wait and see everywhere else, considering 1. all the money that Disney's spent on the film and 2. the other major issue with the film in China that seems to have been completely forgotten. At this point, we might never even see the film.

In other news, a few drive-ins will get My Spy this Friday. I expect it will do as well as Mighty Oak did where it's gone after about a week or so.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Tenet is now opening on August 12th. I don't think this will be the last delay.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Goddammit, this is all Trump's fault.