The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Or maybe they finally kill the Bob's Burgers movie that's only on the schedule because Fox could never get the Family Guy movie off the ground.
I always wondered why this was never made. Wasn't the Simpsons Movie really profitable?

And I don't see Saint Maud moving, even if theaters aren't ready - I really only see it doing It Comes At Night/mother!/ It Follows numbers in the teen millions.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Relic, a title originally planned as a streaming-only title, will get a one week drive-in run on July 3rd.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Secret Garden will premiere on demand on August 7th.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

With the recent spike in COVID-19 cases, I'm beginning to wonder if all of the July and August movies will be delayed. Or if all the people in power will just throw their hands up and say, "If you want to die, die. And by the way, there was never any work done about a vaccine. That was just something to make you feel comfortable."

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Is there any news on Mulan or Tenet? If they are going to be released, I'm wondering if we should start thinking about restarting the game...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Tenet seems to be set to July 31. And Mulan the 24th?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Exactly my point. Shall we begin planning a draft league going from mid-July through next April?

I'm betting $200M may win the whole thing...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hmm... tough call. In some countries cinemas opened then closed again. And the rates in the US are not looking great.

Also there are a lot of date changes still going on.

Maybe a start in August?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Agreed with six. Theaters could shut back down and movies could get moved on a whim, especially given the spikes that are happening in some of the places that get didn't as hard initially, so I think restarting in July would be an unnecessary dice roll.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think we should just call off this year and wait until something gets figured out, vaccine or no vaccine. At this point, I'm expecting the solution is going to be something really stupid as if life is an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Studios (as well as A24) should just ignore theatre chains demands and make more movies available day-and-date. Also, make them cheaper than $20. I can see Trolls World Tour costing that much but there was no need to make Never Rarely Sometimes Always that expensive to rent.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The solution is governments just deciding they can't shut down the economy. They are going to eventually opt for that over human life. This is the world we live in. Trump is a prime example as he is now pretending COVID doens't exist, despite there still being hundreds of deaths in the US every day still, and the infection rates aren't dropping as rapidly as in other countries. And for every family who won't go to the cinema for health reasons, there will be a family who will.

We'll see cinemas in July/August go half capacity, but I bet shortly after they'll return to full capacity.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Back to the release dates, we get a date for a Sundance title that's been delayed as long as Burden was (okay, that's the last time I'll mention Burden). The Sunlit Night, which was perhaps the worst received title at last year's festival, will come out July 17th. Seeing that it's from the guy who did Wetlands and Look Who's Back, I expect a lot of tasteless shock humor.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 7:21 pm
The solution is governments just deciding they can't shut down the economy. They are going to eventually opt for that over human life. This is the world we live in. Trump is a prime example as he is now pretending COVID doens't exist, despite there still being hundreds of deaths in the US every day still, and the infection rates aren't dropping as rapidly as in other countries. And for every family who won't go to the cinema for health reasons, there will be a family who will.

We'll see cinemas in July/August go half capacity, but I bet shortly after they'll return to full capacity.
Bingo. In addition to governments valuing money over the body count, the American people seem to have a higher rate of arrogance and ignorance when it comes to dealing with the virus. Other countries across Asia and Europe started wearing masks in public and actually adhering to the social distancing guidelines whenever possible and huge surprise-their rates of infection dropped dramatically. That's a fucking pipe dream here in the good ol' USA. Millions of people value the medical advice of Donald Trump and Joe Rogan over the epidemiologists/scientists, masks have quickly turned into a political debate topic with god knows how many states not even requiring them be worn and people are flocking to public spaces because they couldn't deal with the burden of being bored at home for (insert whatever short amount of time said state was locked down for). It's maddening and depressing to watch these other countries all over the world succeed at significantly slowing the spread of the virus while a good chunk of our country continues to write it off as a joke.

As for the theater capacity issue, I can tell you from reading through the lovely email I received yesterday that AMC's current plan is 30% capacity initially then gradual bumps from there with the intention of having 50% by Labor Day and 100% by Thanksgiving. I'm sure that will go swimmingly.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think it's more likely that they end up having to close the theatres again after two weeks once too many idiots break the rules (I don't expect many AMC attendees to pay a dollar for a mask) and we have to pander to their thin skins because they couldn't follow the damn rules. But then again, Tenet is going to be too intelligent for the unwashed masses.

At least Alamo Drafthouse is requiring masks for everyone.

On the whole, too many people confuse ignorance for pride. You ask them to do one thing and they'll complain that their First Amendment rights are being infringed on. Last I checked, none of the five freedoms covered in the First Amendment listed "freedom to be a selfish asshole who thinks this law only applies to them".

On a personal note, today I hit up a bunch of flea markets. In a bunch of them, I was the only one wearing a mask. I wish I didn't live in a metro with so many "ok, boomer" and "I have mah rights!" types.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Netflix is planning to acquire The Trial of the Chicago 7. I didn't think this would do well as a traditional theatrical release.

And because Ford v. Ferrari did so well, Michael Mann's Ferrari is back on as an independent film. Domestic rights will be up for grabs soon.