The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by numbersix »

transformers2 wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 12:28 pm
Yet another domino has fallen: Fast and Furious 9 has gotten pushed to April 2, 2021.
Think this is crazy. It could have died down by May 22nd. Unless there were other factors.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

F9's a more global movie than a lot of the other movies getting pushed. A delay allows Universal to make sure they can make the billion or so they usually gross on one of these. Also, pushing it back allows for the film continue tinkering until they can get a tighter and more sensible final cut (F9 is currently over three hours).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I guess even in pandemic levels, distributors are still making deals. IFC has picked up Sean Durkin's long-awaited (nine years since his first film!) The Nest.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

In one fell swoop, Mulan (which just had its US premiere earlier in the week), The New Mutants, and Antlers have all lost their dates. Get ready for some theatre closings shortly.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

We should give strong consideration to postponing/scratching the current round of Supers and the upcoming FY draft until things settle a bit. There are just way too many moves and delays going on right now and that's even without considering theater closings.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Yeah. There's no point in playing if there's nothing to do.

I'm now sounding like the end of WarGames.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Peter Rabbit 2 is now off the schedule.

Meanwhile, Cash Truck will open on 1/15/2021, assuming there is still a civilization.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Black Widow still remains on the May 1st date. Disney is probably crossing their fingers hoping this dies down by then, but that's probably wishful thinking. Next upcoming major studio release is now Trolls World Tour, which isn't until April 10th and may very well also get pushed.

If the pandemic actually does die down and theaters re-open for Black Widow on May 1st (again wishful thinking), I could see Paramount opening A Quiet Place 2 on May 15th and Disney opening Mulan on the 22nd, they can just dump Artemis Fowl on Disney+.

Man, this whole situation is absolutely insane. Theaters shouldn't have to remain closed past flu season into June/July, unless the pandemic proves historically catastrophic.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd expect A Quiet Place Part II to go to October. May might be way too soon for a film of its themes.

Universal has been strangely mum but Comcast's CEO is apparently happy about the fact that more people will be streaming now.

As for Disney+, I can't see Artemis Fowl going there when they still haven't released Magic Camp, which was rumored to be going there. I do believe The New Mutants and Antlers both go to Hulu (along with Bob's Burgers, which is somehow still planned for theatrical release).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Disney has shut down all film production for the time being. Ridley Scott however hopes to make the Christmas date for The Long Duel by editing what he's shot during the layoff (he has made shorter deadlines in the past, see All the Money in the World).

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Not exactly a date change, but AMC is limiting their showings to 50% capacity starting tomorrow. I'm still unsure if I'm going to see The Hunt and The Way Back later today. Between all the push backs and possibility of closings I don't know if I'll go to the theater for the next month or two. I'm guessing it's less risk than, say, Wal-Mart.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm going to see Bloodshot and The Hunt tomorrow then I'm done for the foreseeable future. I have the luxury of being able to avoid the grocery store since I don't drive and live with my mom, so I figure I might as well join the rest of the people out there risking their health and take one last trip to the theater before this shit escalates even further.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

A quick glance at Mojo's calendar shows the next wide release is scheduled for April 10. I cannot see a way theaters will remain open past this weekend and there's a good chance you may not be able to go tomorrow.

I see pretty much what happened with the NBA where they were ready to do things halfway then were forced into completely shutting down.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I couldn't care less about Cineplex, but I hope our local indie theaters are able to stay open. The organization that runs the film festival is a non-profit, so they should be okay, but my neighborhood theater is strictly indie and probably can't afford to shut down for a month.

EDIT: Out of habit I started to write this post on my laptop using the open WiFi at work, and about halfway through I remembered it probably wouldn't let me post, but to my surprise it actually worked.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Oh yeah, there's almost zero chance that there won't be a shutdown at some point in the very near future. After the swift suspensions of the pro sports leagues, I wouldn't be at all shocked if it was tomorrow, but I'm fully intending to go about my business unless word comes down otherwise.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!