The Latest Date Changes

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes

Post by silversurfer19 »

I know, Geez, I'm just having a rant. It's a shame money is always the root of every decision in Hollywood. Look at how good District 9 was last year. A sci-fi action movie with no 3D elements whatsover made for $30m. If only studios realised sometimes quality is more important to a movie. Oh well. I'm going back to have a look at how 3D used to be done - Jaws 3D!!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Meanwhile, it looks like The Losers will be keeping its April 9th release date as the just-released trailer mentions Spring. I honestly don't know why, due to Clash Of The Titans opening a week earlier and Jonah Hex likely to be pushed back from June 18th due to the reshoots.

But then again, it does look really campy and not in a good way.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think in a few years 3D will cease to be a gimmick and be part of the film. It'll be something thought of by the creators of films (esp. action, adventure, etc.), like, "How would this scene look in 3D?" It's going to be part of film... maybe forever. And if you're going crazy with it now, when all of these 3D films that have been green lit post-Avatar start coming out, you may need a straight jacket.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

silversurfer19 wrote:Anyone else fed up with 3D. I mean, I don't know how many were released in 3D last year (it was a lot though), but the only ones which I can actually remember benefitting from it were Avatar, Up and Coraline. Everything else just felt gimicky. And until 3D means no glasses it'll never truly be the most amazing experience. The sooner his fad is over the better.
Yes, sorry to say SS, but it's not a fad, I have a few teachers that have worked in the industry for years and, they all say that all movies are heading toward 3D, even dramas. There's an explanation to it, yes it is about the money, but it's more than that. The film industry is losing ground as being the main way people view their films, there's internet, dvd, on demand, etc. And the industry is in a state of chaos, they don't know where to exactly go as the future, So 3D is one of the things tehy are trying to do. It gives you something that all those other mediums can't. Honestly that is the main reason of the shift to 3D. If anyone knows their film history, that is also why cinema switched to wide screen format when the tv became popular in the 50s. I still agree with what you and Geez are saying, it is about the money, but its not that much about being greedy and charging an extra few dollars. I think in a year or two the 3D ticket will be the same price as the regular ticket. If you think back to when sound came about, i'm sure there were some films that really weren't enhanced by being in sound, or the same for color. I think that's true with 3D too, but i think it's more so that it's just a crappy movie instead of the 3D making it bad. I agree with what your saying that just because you stick it in 3D it doesnt make it better, but i dont think it makes it worse either.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I still wish Robin Hood was in 3-D.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release dates:

Get Him To The Greek 6/4/2010 (from 6/11/2010)
The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud 10/15/2010
Mission: Impossible IV 5/27/2011
Cowboys and Aliens 7/29/2011
Madagascar 3 5/18/2012 (from 5/25/2012)
Battleship 5/25/2012 (from 7/29/2011)
Stretch Armstrong TBA 2012 (from 4/15/2011)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New Release Dates:

The Thorn In The Heart (new documentary directed by Michel Gondry) 4/2/2010
Looking For Eric 5/14/2010 (from 5/21/2010)
The Losers 6/4/2010 (from 4/9/2010)
Lottery Ticket 8/20/2010 (from 8/27/2010)
Spider-Man 3-D (the reboot) 7/3/2012

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Wow, now that Clash moved to April, almost everything has run for cover. April is almost barren now.

And The Losers, Get Him To The Greek, and Killers on the same weekend? I wonder who will blink first....
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't know... Date Night could be a monster even in the shadow of Clash. What grosses more, Alice or Clash?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alice probably due to the more widespread appeal, but I do agree in that Date Night could be big. Well, big for April.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Actually I think How To Train Your Dragon will be bigger. You can't underestimate the guy who created Stitch.

As for June 4th, I expect Killers to blink first. It does not seem like a summer movie to me.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I thought we were talking about April, though. But it's going to be hard for an animated 3D Dreamworks film to hit under $100 M. But, really, it doesn't have the appeal of a Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, Shrek, etc. I'm going to say around Cloudy's total. It just doesn't seem that appealing to any demographic.

jas8382
Jason Voorhees

Post by jas8382 »

How to Train Your Dragon though has the advantage of not having to directly compete with any other movies for family dollars until May. As the only other movie in March or April to be any sort competition for that market would be Alice in Wonderland which will be in it's fourth week of release.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I think Alice In Wonderland due to the legacy that Alice has.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Monsters vs. Aliens didn't have that much appeal (due to it being based on an obscure comic book with a not kid-friendly title) besides the 3-D and B.O.B., but still grossed nearly $200 million.

Meanwhile, Alice In Wonderland seems like it will disappoint more than kill at the box office. It's based on the lesser-known sequel to Alice In Wonderland, the ads only focus on the Mad Hatter (a mere supporting character) and it looks as if it will scare children more than anything. The only audience that will probably enjoy it are Tim Burton fans and not even that will help the film have good legs (I expect a $65 million opening, a 60% second week drop and a $150 million finish).