The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I highly doubt Rhythm Section or Gemini Man go to Netflix.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

The thing is that Paramount announced a new agreement with Netflix and it's been suggested that they'll pawn off more movies to them besides Eli. The delays on The Rhythm Section combined with Morano's lack of success in film (the way she's getting hyped, you'd think she'd made Moonlight or something rather than two little-seen movies, the latter getting weak reviews after a lot of hype at Sundance) make it the most likely to get dropped from the release schedule.

Another issue is that Paramount has three movies in November. With Terminator and Sonic the Hedgehog set to get a lot of promotional money, is there going to be any interest by Paramount to give this a big release?

On a different note, Warner Bros. will open Christopher Nolan's next film on 7/17/2020. No plot is known yet but I'm sure it will be very loud and many four star reviews will be written months in advance.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

New Sony dates:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 11/22/2019 (from 10/18/2019)
Untitled Ghostbusters 7/20/2020
Morbius (some Venom-inspired nonsense where Jared Leto is certain to get himself hated by two fanbases) 7/31/2020

The delay of the Tom Hanks film suggests the other Tom Hanks film from Sony goes to the vacated October spot.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:The thing is that Paramount announced a new agreement with Netflix and it's been suggested that they'll pawn off more movies to them besides Eli. The delays on The Rhythm Section combined with Morano's lack of success in film (the way she's getting hyped, you'd think she'd made Moonlight or something rather than two little-seen movies, the latter getting weak reviews after a lot of hype at Sundance) make it the most likely to get dropped from the release schedule.

Another issue is that Paramount has three movies in November. With Terminator and Sonic the Hedgehog set to get a lot of promotional money, is there going to be any interest by Paramount to give this a big release?

On a different note, Warner Bros. will open Christopher Nolan's next film on 7/17/2020. No plot is known yet but I'm sure it will be very loud and many four star reviews will be written months in advance.
Will Sonic get much promotion? I don't think that Sonic is relevant anymore (There are still ads in theaters and online for Pokemon and Call of Duty and other games, but I haven't seen anything for Sonic).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Greyhound has officially been pushed to May 8th 2020
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Screen203 wrote:
Buscemi2 wrote:The thing is that Paramount announced a new agreement with Netflix and it's been suggested that they'll pawn off more movies to them besides Eli. The delays on The Rhythm Section combined with Morano's lack of success in film (the way she's getting hyped, you'd think she'd made Moonlight or something rather than two little-seen movies, the latter getting weak reviews after a lot of hype at Sundance) make it the most likely to get dropped from the release schedule.

Will Sonic get much promotion? I don't think that Sonic is relevant anymore (There are still ads in theaters and online for Pokemon and Call of Duty and other games, but I haven't seen anything for Sonic).
Paramount spent $90 million to make Sonic the Hedgehog. They'll spend a lot to promote it, even if the only audience turns out to be furries.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

There’s a large Sonic standup at the theater I’m at right now. It opens in ten months. They’ll promote it.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

But would the film appeal to any mainstream audience outside of children? I can't see adults being nostalgic for Sonic the same way that the live-action Disney remakes, for example.

Image courtesy of -

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Rhthym Section's delay was due to Blake Lively breaking her wrist and stalling the production for months. We don't even know anything about Gemini Man yet, so guess it'll go to Netflix is based on nothing.

Wow, I figured Greyhound would get delayed but over a year??

Sonic will do better than another tired Terminator installment. He's never been on the big screen and if they play it tongue-in-cheek, like Detective Pikachu, it'll definitely tie into 90s nostalgia.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

As I'm mentioned before, James Cameron's producing the new Terminator and it's directly tied in with the first two (Rise of the Machines, Salvation, and Genisys are being retconned). That alone will get people interested. In addition, it's from the director of the first Deadpool (who ironically pulled out of Sonic the Hedgehog to do the film).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Not to mention Tim Miller is directing and Linda Hamilton will return. IF it's a disaster it'll disappear but if the awful Jurassic World can do as well as it did, surely Termy 6 can do the same

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Sony has scheduled another Deon Taylor hackfest, Black and Blue, for a 9/20/2019 date. That's only four months after his other forthcoming film, The Intruder.

As for the Greyhound delay, I feel it's so Hanks doesn't split his own vote in the Oscar race (Hanks as Fred Rogers is going to be looked at a lot by voters). It happened to Emily Blunt this year and it happened to Hanks previously (Captain Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks).

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Sony has scheduled another Deon Taylor hackfest, Black and Blue, for a 9/20/2019 date. That's only four months after his other forthcoming film, The Intruder.

As for the Greyhound delay, I feel it's so Hanks doesn't split his own vote in the Oscar race (Hanks as Fred Rogers is going to be looked at a lot by voters). It happened to Emily Blunt this year and it happened to Hanks previously (Captain Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks).
The Intruder actually looked mildly enjoyable. Didn't realize that it was Deon Taylor. Looks much less interesting now.

Image courtesy of -

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Another A24 film goes to HBO. Share will now debut on the network instead of playing theatrically.

The pawning off of this and Native Son makes me wonder if A24's beginning to feel some financial strains after the large number of flops they've had.

And another Sundance deal: Amazon has spent $13 million for the showbiz comedy Late Night. It seems they learned nothing from when they spent $10 million on Life Itself.

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not sure if this was mentioned but the endlessly-hyped Long Day's Journey into Night (which has nothing to do with Eugene O'Neill's play of the same name) will open on 4/12/2019 in New York. Kino Lorber will release the film in 3-D (not sure if a flat version will be made available since the 3-D sequence is such an important part of the film).