The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Roman J. Israel, Esq. 11/10/2017 (from 11/3/2017)
Thoroughbreds 3/9/2018

Meanwhile, Hostiles is rumored to be scheduled for 12/8/2017 (possibly a one week run before a wide expansion early next year).

Edit: it looks like Gigantic might lose its date, as Disney has shut down production. I don't know if it will be like The Good Dinosaur and go back on at some point or be shelved completely.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool 12/29/2017
Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built 2/2/2018 (from 2/23/2018)
A Fantastic Woman 2/2/2018
Loveless 2/16/2018
Foxtrot 3/2/2018
Strangers: Prey at Night 3/9/2018
Three Seconds (undercover film similar to Snitch from the producers of John Wick) 8/17/2018

Meanwhile, Jay Z has shown interest in buying Harvey Weinstein's share of The Weinstein Company. Looks like he took notes on how Byron Allen's doing at Entertainment Studios (not sure if Jay Z will make eight-figure deals too though he's got the money).

And because someone got jealous about Warner Bros. getting Minecraft, Sony is nearing a deal to adapt The Settlers of Catan to the screen. Which makes me wonder: outside of Clue, has one of these board game adaptations ever gotten made?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi2 wrote:New dates:

Strangers: Prey at Night 3/9/2018
Three Seconds (undercover film similar to Snitch from the producers of John Wick) 8/17/2018

And because someone got jealous about Warner Bros. getting Minecraft, Sony is nearing a deal to adapt The Settlers of Catan to the screen. Which makes me wonder: outside of Clue, has one of these board game adaptations ever gotten made?

Is this the sequel to The Strangers that Geezer has picked in the last two draft leagues?

CLUE!!! OMG, that movie was hysterical. I miss the days when slapstick was still funny. And no, I can't think of another board-game movie. I once heard a rumor that Monopoly was going to be a movie, but that was years ago.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I can't believe you guys forgot about Peter Berg's masterful adaptation of Battleship.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Battleship was more of an in-name-only adaptation.

And yes Shryke, that is the Strangers 2 that was selected by Geezer in the last two drafts. Christina Hendricks (remember when people thought she was going to be the Mad Men breakout instead of Elisabeth Moss?) is now playing the Liv Tyler role.

Meanwhile, The Pact is now titled Blockers. It's still opening on 4/6/2018.

Edit: Gambit will finally arrive on 2/14/2019. Looks like Fox expects another Deadpool with the Valentine's Day slot.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Current War has now lost its date as rumors are suggesting that The Weinstein Company might file for bankruptcy due to the fallout (in related news, HBO and Amazon have both been in talks to buy Michael Moore's newest outright for a day-and-date run). It wasn't going to do anything in terms of awards anyway.

Meanwhile, Fox has scheduled a pair of Blue Sky titles. The Call of the Wild will open on Christmas Day 2019 while Ron's Gone Wrong will open on 11/6/2020.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Because the trend of extremely long titles isn't going away, Horse Soldiers is now titled 12 Strong: The Declassified True Story of the Horse Soldiers.

Meanwhile, a couple of new dates:
Condorito: La Pelicula (Lionsgate hoping for another Un Gallo Con Muchos Huevos with this adaptation of a Chilean comic book) 1/12/2018
Eli (new horror film from Paramount) 1/4/2019

Meanwhile, Netflix has announced they will release 80 films next year. Who wants to bet that not even eight of them will be better than the best theatrical fare?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

GKIDS is apparently going to release a film wide (they must have seen how well Your Name did in semi-wide release). They have set the anime Mary and the Witch's Flower for 1/19/2018 (though I'm expecting GKIDS wide will be more like Funimation wide and just be 200-250 theatres).

Meanwhile, it looks like The Loud House might get delayed from its February 2020 date. Nickelodeon has suspended its creator on what else, sexual harassment claims. And I have a feeling it's not going to end any time soon.

Also, Roman J. Israel, Esq. has gone through some last minute editing before its November 10th opening (this may explain the lack of promotion so close to release). The film is now 12 minutes shorter than its premiere version (possible Blu-ray extra?) and deletes a subplot while moving a key scene to earlier in the film.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like A Bad Moms Christmas is being sneak previewed at a few locations on October 25th. It's not often when a sequel gets sneaked.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And after moving from 11/3 to 11/10, Roman Israel Esq. has moved again, this time to 11/17. Not sure why. Is this thing going wide on Thanksgiving/December? I've seen posters for it at my local AMC, not that that proves anything.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:And after moving from 11/3 to 11/10, Roman Israel Esq. has moved again, this time to 11/17. Not sure why. Is this thing going wide on Thanksgiving/December? I've seen posters for it at my local AMC, not that that proves anything.
Yeah it was previously set to go wide on 11/17, so I'm assuming that's still the plan at its new date.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Entertainment Studios wisely decided to move Chappaquiddick from its pre-Thanksgiving date. Its now set for release on April 6th. They've also officially set Hostiles for an undisclosed December release date and will slowly roll it out throughout awards season.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've been reading December 8th though with no promotion out yet, December 29th might be a better spot.

And Roman J. Israel, Esq. is looking like it's getting dumped at this point. The cutting of 12 minutes seemed like a last-ditch attempt at success but by opening it against Justice League (which at just over two hours will have lots of showtimes on its 10,000+ screens), it's going to be DOA despite having a big star who can sell damn near anything.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Studiocanal and Heyday Films are seeking to seize Paddington 2 away from The Weinstein Company. If successful, there's no way it will be out in January (I'm expecting Lionsgate to pick it up but their early 2018 schedule's crowded).

And a few new dates:
The Shape of Water 12/1/2017 (from 12/8/2017)
Hostiles 12/22/2017
The 15:17 to Paris 2/9/2018 (looks like Clint gave up trying to get it ready for the Oscars)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Is Shape of Water going wide at some point? Boosh?