The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

New dates:

Game Night 3/2/2018 (from 2/14/2018)

Warner Bros. has also scheduled an untitled animated film for 6/1/2018 and two DC films for 2/14/2020 and 6/5/2020.

In other news, Entertainment Studios has picked up The Hurricane Heist (basically a mockbuster version of Geostorm with Toby Kebbell in the Gerard Butler role) and will open early next year.

And reportedly, Granite Mountain Hotshots is now titled Only the Brave. The trailer list for Dunkirk listed the Sony trailer as this and HSX is suggesting it as a new title for that.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New dates:

Don't Sleep (horror film directed by the producer of the original Flatliners) 9/29/2017
Overboard (with Eugenio Derbez in the Goldie Hawn role and Anna Faris in the Kurt Russell role, could surprise) 4/20/2018
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

New Paramount dates:
mother! 9/15/17 (from 10/13/17)
Subrubicon 10/27/17 (from 11/3/17)
Untitled Cloverfield Sequel 2/2/18 (from 10/27/17)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Odd that they're moving up Suburbicon when there's been nothing released for it (and they can't decide when to open Annihilation). A March date would make more sense for it.

And does mother! even have a trailer out? With its new date so close and almost nothing out, either the new Paramount regime is dumping it or it's Aronofsky's worst film and he made a mistake in letting his girlfriend pick a project for him (these kinds of projects almost never turn out well).

Paramount is turning into the new Weinstein with these moves.

In other news, The Nile Hilton Incident (the big hit of the World Cinema category at Sundance) finally gets a distributor (Strand Releasing) and a date (August 11th). Surprised this one took as long as it did while Netflix was picking up every film with limited to no appeal it seemed.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

mother! does not have a trailer, but I'd imagine that it will be out next week.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Those are indeed weird moves from Paramount. Don't see any reason to move mother! at all, much less up an entire month. A Jennifer Lawrence movie in September?

I figured one of Suburbicon or Downsizing would be pushed to next year, but no way did I see Suburbicon being pushed into the ass end of October. Such an ugly date.

Not surprised at the God Particle being pushed back though.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Downsizing's premiering at one of the big festivals (Venice?) and it's been finished for a while so it's not getting pushed.

And God Particle's been complete for a while. The only reason for its delay seems to be to get the IMAX screens for a week (I think it would have done decently at Halloween as Jigsaw seems too self-aware to break out). Suburbicon's simply going to be another adult-aimed film that will die on that time frame (Thank You for Your Service is basically getting dumped there as well).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:Downsizing's premiering at one of the big festivals (Venice?) and it's been finished for a while so it's not getting pushed.

And God Particle's been complete for a while. The only reason for its delay seems to be to get the IMAX screens for a week (I think it would have done decently at Halloween as Jigsaw seems too self-aware to break out). Suburbicon's simply going to be another adult-aimed film that will die on that time frame (Thank You for Your Service is basically getting dumped there as well).
It is indeed premiering at Venice on August 30th

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

The next James Bond movie will open on November 8th, 2019. However, it's not known who will distribute (there was a bidding war for a one film deal). My best guess is that Annapurna won the bid (they were apparently pushing the hardest along with Warner Bros. but Warner Bros. has both a DC film and a Christmas movie scheduled for November).

Edit: turns out Sony won the bid and will remain the franchise's distributor for the time being. It will be interesting to see how the next bid will go after Craig leaves and the next Bond (Hiddleston? Elba? Cumberbatch? Someone else completely?) is introduced.

Meanwhile, Weinstein has moved up Leap! five days to August 25th. This gives Weinstein three titles opening wide on the same day and seven wide releases on that weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox's A Gentleman beat them all in most likely a third of the theatres.

Also, Detroit is opening in a few cities this Friday before the wide release next Friday.

And in another release date, Renegades has lost its date. That would explain why STX/EuropaCorp didn't send out any trailers with Valerian (I wouldn't be surprised if this one was self-distributed now).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Wonder Woman 2 will open on 12/13/2019. It's going to be an Amazonian Christmas!

Meanwhile, Sony will release Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool in time for the Oscars. Sounds like they really want to get Bening that Oscar.

Lastly, it looks like Sony distributing the next Bond is not a done deal, as there is still a bidding war for the rights (Universal has now thrown their hat into the ring). On a related note, Yann Demange is rumored to be the favorite to direct.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Amazon will not seek a distribution partner with Wonder Wheel and will instead self-distribute (this makes me wonder if they'll buy Magnolia in the process, as they've been seeking a buyer if the deal's right). Amazon will also self-distribute the Suspiria remake (which runs almost three hours, do we really need that much Chloe Grace Moretz?).

Meanwhile, Bleecker Street will release the Tony Gilroy-scripted, Brad Anderson-directed High Wire Act. We'll likely see this one early next year.

Edit: August 25th will have now have eight scheduled wide releases. Neon plans to expand Ingrid Goes West wide then. Seeing how Neon's last few films died limited (and one of those, The B-Side, was hardly distributed) and Colossal fell sharply after a strong debut, is this really a good idea? But then again, all the indies want to be A24 and they often haven't been the best at decisions.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Weinstein has pushed Polaroid to December 1st. Finally, the August 25th logjam is beginning to clear.

Meanwhile, The Killing of a Sacred Deer has moved up one week to October 27th with a wide expansion one week later. Once again, I don't understand A24's reasoning with going wide.

And Lionsgate will distribute Last Flag Flying for Amazon. They've also moved up the release date to November 3rd. Looks like they're thinking it will be like Manchester by the Sea.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bumblebee has pushed back to 12/21/2018 (from 6/8/2018). Could Aquaman move up to the July 27th DC placeholder slot?

In other news, Sony Pictures Television has acquired Funimation. It looks like we might be seeing some wide releases from the film division (An Oscar run for Your Name in 600 theatres? A Toho Godzilla released at the same time as Warner Bros. Godzilla? A Silent Voice, finally?).

Meanwhile, it might be a while before The Professor and the Madman (not to be confused with Professor Marston and the Wonder Women aka Professor M) sees a release. Mel Gibson has sued the producers (I don't know the reason but I'm guessing unpaid wages). If this goes to trial, it won't be ready this year and distributors aren't going to want to get involved (even with Gibson being in demand again).
Last edited by Buscemi2 on August 1st, 2017, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

whats this? is the Transformers Cinematic universe is having some troubles behind the scenes?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It could be a variety of things. Travis Knight has never directed live-action before, Christina Hodson's last few screenplays hasn't impressed on-screen (she's been a Black List darling but the end results haven't translated to box office success), and The Last Knight wasn't a hit. I'd say rewrites are currently being done (John Cena was just cast in a major role so they might be beefing up his role).

Meanwhile, A24 enters another film into the Oscar race as they will open Lady Bird on 11/10/2017. They might be thinking awards but it seems more like another vanity project for its star (Greta Gerwig's directing this time instead of being the object of Noah Baumbach's midlife crises).