The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

The Relativity fire sale continues. Aviron, a company formed from the ashes of Clarius (they distributed My All-American through Focus a year and a half ago), has acquired Kidnap and The Strangers 2 for distribution. Kidnap will open wide August 4th while The Strangers 2 will open sometime next year (filming is to start later this month).

Meanwhile, Yash Raj (one of India's biggest production companies) is looking to open Tubelight wide on June 23rd. If so, it will be the first Indian film to get a nationwide release (passing Baahubali 2's recently-set record for theatres on opening weekend at 425).

Other new dates:
Birth of the Dragon 8/25/2017 (Blumhouse lists wide but I'd only expect 250-300 theatres)
The Party TBA February 2018 (though Lionsgate could try to position this one for Oscars and plan a one week Oscar run in December)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

A24 (who else?) has bought The Disaster Artist from Warner Bros. and will open limited on December 1st before expanding wide on December 8th. I can't see this playing well outside of the big cities or in places where The Room is a monthly tradition. Are people really going to be swayed by James Franco as Tommy Wiseau when Star Wars comes a week later?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:A24 (who else?) has bought The Disaster Artist from Warner Bros. and will open limited on December 1st before expanding wide on December 8th. I can't see this playing well outside of the big cities or in places where The Room is a monthly tradition. Are people really going to be swayed by James Franco as Tommy Wiseau when Star Wars comes a week later?
Franco/Wiseau>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A Galaxy Far, Far Away
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Annapurna is now setting up a slate of completed films. They will release Brad's Status on 9/15/17 in partnership with Amazon (I think pay cable will stay with Amazon). Annapurna has also picked up Jacques Audiard's western The Sisters Brothers (hoping for a new The Assassination of Jesse James...?).

IFC has picked up producer (and Mrs. Sting) Trudie Styler's directorial debut Freak Show for distribution. This seemed to have a decent reception on the festival circuit and could be timed for a fall release. IFC has also picked up Claire Denis' latest Let the Sunshine In for a US release.

The Orchard has picked up the L.A. Riots drama Kings, which only began filming a few months back. Seems like this could be positioned for awards.

Samuel Goldwyn has picked up Sundance hit Gook (looks like it will not have its title changed) and will open on 8/18/2017.

And in release date news, Universal will open Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! on 7/20/2018. Much of the cast is set to return and the soundtrack will mainly consist of ABBA tracks that didn't appear the first time around. Related to Amanda Seyfried (who also has a film from Paul Schrader currently filming), STX has scheduled the now-titled Gringo (formerly known as American Express) for a 3/9/2018 date.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Any doubt that the Universal Monsters Universe (now named Dark Universe so New Line doesn't use the title for their Justice League Dark project) would be stillborn after The Mummy is now gone, as Bride of Frankenstein (being directed by Bill Condon) will open on Valentine's Day 2019. I wish Guillermo del Toro was doing this one instead of Condon. In the process, The Wolf Man loses its date and has been put on the back burner.

Universal has also scheduled Jordan Peele's next film for 3/15/2019. This probably takes him off of Akira (or at least puts that on the backburner before Warner Bros. finally realizes that no one was wanting an Americanized Akira).

Sony has scheduled a new Charlie's Angels movie from two Narcos writers for 6/7/2019. Elizabeth Banks is still attached to direct but I could see the new grittier direction leading to a director change. Sony has also scheduled the Tasmanian crime drama The Nightingale (it's from Jennifer Kent so I expect of a lot of her trying to be Tim Burton again) for 8/10/2018 and an untitled animated film for 7/24/2020 (it's listed as a franchise film so it's probably Angry Birds 3 or Animated Spider-Man 2).

And in distribution news, new distributor Good Deed will release the animated Van Gogh biopic Loving Vincent in the US and Canada (with the exception of Quebec). I'm only expecting a one-week Oscar run followed by a limited/VOD playoff. Meanwhile, IFC has picked up the Jennifer Garner/Maika Monroe drama The Tribes of Palos Verdes (probably a title for post-theatrical possibilities).

Electric Entertainment will release LBJ on November 10th. Unless Rob Reiner puts some money into prints, I can't see this getting more than 10 theatres.

Lastly, Sony has amended the title of Granite Mountain to Granite Mountain Hotshots. Sounds like a late 70's drive-in movie now.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Remember The Moon and the Sun, that movie from a couple of years back that Paramount was all set to release but it never arrived? Well, it's back with a new title (The King's Daughter) and a new distributor (Open Road), apparently to get a quick run (like with Spark and The Promise) before home video.

Meanwhile, Sony will release The Silent Man (formerly titled Felt), possibly for a fall release, while IFC has picked up Lars von Trier's The House That Jack Built (I expect the same).

Edit: two more films have found distribution. A24 will release The Florida Project (I imagine this is only a working title, though it played at Cannes under this) while Lionsgate will reteam with Aardman on Early Man and open (most likely wide) on 2/16/2018.

And a few new dates:
Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (still trying to figure out it's really supposed to be Boo! A Madea Halloween 2 as it makes it seem the same subtitle is being used twice) 10/20/2017
Paddington 2 1/12/2018
Sherlock Gnomes 3/23/2018 (from 1/12/2018)
The Boss Baby 2 3/26/2021 (looks like Universal's turning DreamWorks into another Illumination with sequel after sequel)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Annapurna has picked up another film for a Fall release. Professor M (formerly Professor Marston and the Wonder Women) just received distribution and has already dropped a trailer in time for Wonder Woman's Friday opening.

And I don't think they'll be done yet for buying titles for awards season (I'm expecting a couple of wide appeal titles to satisfy their MGM deal).

Meanwhile, it's looking more and more like The Six Billion Dollar Man will lose its date. The currently attached director, Damian Szifron, is rumored to be bailing from the project to direct Justice League Dark (which Doug Liman recently left) for New Line.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:The Florida Project (I imagine this is only a working title, though it played at Cannes under this)
It is the title of the film, not a working title.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Yeah but movies shown at festivals have been renamed all the time (remember Precious?). I just really don't see that being the final title.

But then again, this is from the same guy who shot a movie on an iPhone where every other line had fuck or bitch in the dialogue (critics might have called it edgy, I found it lazy).

Back on topic, The Weinstein Company has announced that Untouchable will open sometime next year. Filming was just completed but Weinstein's perpetual money troubles and crowded late 2017 schedule (plus January's Paddington 2, which could possibly move up to Christmas) make it more likely that the film will arrive late in the year.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

After development on Top Gun 2 stalled due to Tony Scott's death and the disappointing results of the 3-D reissue, it is officially back on. Tom Cruise recently confirmed it will be titled Top Gun: Maverick and be a stylistically similar film to the first (it's also supposed to reuse the score from the original though this could more likely mean Harold Faltermeyer doing new material mixed in with the first film's themes). Joseph Kosinski has been tapped to direct with a production start date most likely next year (though it could be fast-tracked and become the Untitled Paramount Event Film on 11/2/2018, which could lead to a delay on X-Men: Dark Phoenix to Summer 2019).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Tom Cruise was on French TV this week and he said that filming for the Top Gun sequel would begin in early 2018.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'd also read early next year after posting it but with Paramount's turmoil, I think it's more likely they move up the start of filming (assuming it doesn't cut into Mission: Impossible 6) so it can be ready for next year's Holiday releases.

Though with the bad luck Paramount's been having, I can't see this helping their fortunes.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

In typical Weinstein fashion, Amityville: The Awakening loses its date yet again. Send this out on VOD already, jeez.

Meanwhile, The Post is now titled The Papers (must have been a legal copyright over the original title). Though still filming, it should easily make its date.

Also, Half to Death is now titled Happy Death Day. A trailer is supposed to hit next week at the earliest.

Lastly, some new dates:
The Mountain Between Us 10/6/2017 (from 10/20/2017) (I definitely wasn't expecting this to get moved up, must be to get past the October 13th logjam of adult-aimed fare)
Dina (Sundance-winning documentary, The Orchard will distribute) 10/6/2017
Goodbye, Christopher Robin 10/13/2017 (from 11/10/2017) (wasn't expecting this to get moved up either)
Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (apparently changed back from Professor M) 10/27/2017
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 11/10/2017 (from 10/13/2017)
Death Wish 11/22/2017 (Annapurna will now distribute this MGM production instead of Paramount)
Margie Claus (New Line enters the musical boom with this Melissa McCarthy Christmas movie) 11/15/2019

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I noticed that the title to "Granite Mountain" has been slightly changed, to "Granite Mountain Hotshots"......
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I mentioned that a while back. Terrible title, by the way.