The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:That's a lot of film to be released on Nov 11th. Although All Eyez could open limited and expand on Thanksgiving
It's a very interesting release date, obviously gunning for Awards.
That's what I'm thinking they'll do. Open Road has gotten burned so many times with opening movies against stiff competition that it wouldn't make sense for them to release something immediately wide in such a crowded market. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if multiple movies (Rules Don't Apply and Shut In) got pushed from that date and they decide to roll the dice and just release it wide then.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Open Road also has Bleed for This opening in November so they may push that one to Christmas.

New dates:
Live by Night 1/13/2017 (from 10/20/2017) (I could see this one moving up again to Christmas)
Bastards 1/27/2017 (from 11/4/2016)
The Boss Baby 3/31/2017 (from 3/10/2017) (delay possibly due to Kevin Spacey pulling out, Steve Buscemi will now voice his character)
The Zookeeper's Wife 3/31/2017
Geostorm 10/20/2017 (from 1/13/2017)
The Lego Movie 2 2/8/2019 (from 5/18/2018) (could Smallfoot be taking its old date?)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Well, this was not the WB shuffle I was hoping for :evil:

Why don't they just listen to me? Wonder Woman to 3/24 (BvS date), Kong to 5/19 (Godzilla date), Annabelle 2 to 6/2 (Conjuring date), and King Arthur can fuck right off to September. Hell, I should be in charge of scheduling there.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

They're not putting Wonder Woman at March. Batman v. Superman went to March because of the Easter holiday and this year, Fast 8 has Easter. Also, June is the perfect spot for it as it arrives as Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 tails off and Spider-Man: Homecoming is a month away. And at March, Wonder Woman runs right into Beauty and the Beast. In June, the biggest competition is Ascendant and Rock That Body. June looks much better than March.

King Arthur's staying at March. It's been finished for a while and the past delays were due to IMAX scheduling (March 24th was open while July 1st had Tarzan and July 22nd had Star Trek). And March 24th's less crowded than it was (I expect Life to be delayed and possibly go to May).

Kong's staying too. March 10th is now unopposed (I think Power Rangers or Ghost in the Shell move up though).

Meanwhile, there is the possibility we get two Conjuring spinoffs next year. The recently-announced The Nun could be slotted into next October (the next best place for Annabelle 2 would be October).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

So they are basically moving up Live by Night by a year. Wow.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm elated that I decided to pass on Geostorm in the FY draft.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

transformers2 wrote:I'm elated that I decided to pass on Geostorm in the FY draft.
Likewise. I was debating between it and 2 others but decided to pass and it went with the next pick. Got screwed by Ben-Hut last year, I don't need any more of that.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New date:

How to Train Your Dragon 3 5/18/2018 (from 6/29/2018)

This looks to be the final film in the Fox/DreamWorks distribution agreement before Universal starts releasing them all.

And nearly two years after releasing a trailer and nearly a year after being pulled from the release schedule, Weinstein will be releasing Underdogs straight-to-DVD next month. Not surprised, seeing Weinstein's history with internationally-made animated features.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New dates:

The 9th Life of Louis Drax 9/2/2016 (Lionsgate Premiere will distribute for Miramax)
The Space Between Us 12/21/2016 (from 8/19/2016) (Who wants to bet Passengers moves up now?)
Minecraft 5/25/2019

And Doug Liman's Mena is now titled American Made. Looks like Universal wants that American Sniper crowd.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The French division of Sony announced that "Sausage Party" won't be released in theaters in France, only on VOD and DVD. I hate them.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Chienfantome wrote:The French division of Sony announced that "Sausage Party" won't be released in theaters in France, only on VOD and DVD. I hate them.
Ugh. That sucks. At least it's still being released in some capacity.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't think you're missing much. Seth Rogen's movies are pretty much like Adam Sandler's movies now: gather a bunch of friends and shoot something over a weekend. The total cost is enough to feel an entire village for a decade.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't think Adam Sandler is trying things like Preacher, a Pixaresque R-rated animated film, and I don't remember Adam Sandler getting death threats from a world leader because of something he made. Neighbors 2 was really very good and was not just a bro comedy like the thousand other ones out there. This is the End, 50/50, The Night Before... None of these are the mindless drivel made for the lowest common denominator like Ridiculous 6 and Grown Ups.

But I thought the second Grown Ups was decent for mindless drivel, so what do I know?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I love the Rogen comedies. The trailer for Sausage Party is crazy and I couldn't wait to see it. Now I'm hoping a festival will screen it in Paris.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:I don't think you're missing much. Seth Rogen's movies are pretty much like Adam Sandler's movies now: gather a bunch of friends and shoot something over a weekend. The total cost is enough to feel an entire village for a decade.
Your cinema hot takes bring me so much fucking joy.