The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

The Walk 9/30/2015 limited, 10/9/2015 wide (the limited date will be exclusive to IMAX screens and select large-format theatres, to keep the two-week run that was signed with IMAX and to build word-of-mouth for the wide date)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

empire13
Clark Griswald

Post by empire13 »

Buscemi wrote:New release date:

Everest 9/18/2015 limited, 9/25/2015 wide (Universal is choosing to put emphasis on IMAX and large-format screens on opening weekend so it looks like about 400 theatres on opening)
And, to build good word of mouth like Sony is doing with The Walk. Let's not forget that. Or, how hot Universal releases are right now. I like how you word your posts differently based on your preference for the given release. And, yes, I'm doing the same thing for Everest since I have it in the full year. ;)
Rick: Where do you get off having tits? - Clayton Rohner, Just One of the Guys

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I posted the Everest platform before The Walk platform and I didn't want to the two notes to sound the same. Also, The Walk is opening the New York Film Festival (I don't think Everest has been accepted to any film festivals yet I could see Venice getting it) so it really needs that good word-of-mouth.

Both should do well anyway, seeing how this platform is like how Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol was released four years ago.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

When I saw JW in IMAX 3D, The Walk's trailer played before it. It was pretty damned cool.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

So Everest will have all IMAXs for a week, The Walk will take them on 9/25, and it'll keep them until Pan on the 9th?

What about The Martian? Will it share with The Walk?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

maybe the martian will take a walk

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:So Everest will have all IMAXs for a week, The Walk will take them on 9/25, and it'll keep them until Pan on the 9th?

What about The Martian? Will it share with The Walk?
Everest gets IMAX for 12 days (9/18-9/29) and The Walk will get most IMAX theatres for 16 days (9/30-10/15). Pan will probably be a Mad Max/Inside Out case where not many theatres get it on IMAX (as most will be scheduled to run The Walk, followed by Crimson Peak on October 16th).

The Martian is not scheduled for an IMAX release and even if it does, it will likely be international-only (as with most Fox IMAX titles).

The standard IMAX schedule right now is...

7/1 Terminator: Genisys
7/17 Ant-Man
7/31 Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
8/14 The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
9/11 Wolf Totem
9/18 Everest
9/30 The Walk
10/16 Crimson Peak
11/6 Spectre
11/20 Mockingjay Part 2
12/11 In the Heart of the Sea
12/18 Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Some theatres apparently will get Pixels on July 24th, a few independents may run Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2 on August 28th, while Pan is slotted for October 9th in some. A few others could be scheduled soon (I'm guessing Dragon Blade and Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension could get IMAX runs) so that list is not final.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Huh, you're right, neither explicitly say IMAX.

Although the first trailer for Pan did, but the newest one doesn't - maybe they had to drop it with the date change.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

I Saw the Light 11/27/2015

Looks like Sony saw how well Love and Mercy was doing for Lionsgate so they decided on a prime Thanksgiving slot for this Hank Williams biopic. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go wide at some point.

And as expected, Universal is going to be sending Search Party direct-to-VOD at an undetermined date (a reviewer claimed it was already out but it's not available on Amazon, iTunes or Universal's VOD page). I'm not surprised as it apparently did nothing in Europe.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:New release date:

I Saw the Light 11/27/2015
YAY! If it's made well, I could see an Oscar nom, for Hiddleston. As you probably know from the music countdown, I think Hank is the most important figure in the Country genre and easily one of the most influential artists of the 20th century in all of music, even though he didn't make it to the age of 30. He's not nearly as popular a subject as Johnny Cash was during Walk the Line, so it doesn't really have a shot at those huge numbers, but it still could do well both financially and critically. Easily in my top five must sees for the last half of the year. Maybe even number two behind The Force Awakens,
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2 TBA 2016 (from 8/28/2015)

Reshoots are scheduled to be done next month so it will not be ready for its originally scheduled theatrical/Netflix debut.

Meanwhile, Netflix will premiere The Ridiculous Six on 12/11/2015 so we can see then if it's the disaster it's looking like it will be. And Beasts of No Nation will hit theatres on 10/16/2015 (through Bleecker Street) before going to Netflix on 11/13/2015.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

New date:

Beasts of No Nation - 10/16/15 (limited release day-and-date on Netflix streaming)
Masterminds - 10/9/15 (from 8/19/15)

Relativity pushes back their one shot to make some money out of summer. They've been bailed out by some random investment company, but Deadline doesn't think they'll actually come through with the money for Relativity to save itself. If anything, this says Relativity is scared of not getting their money too.

Not gonna be surprised if all of their movies end up being yanked and auctioned off by the end of the year.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

That wouldn't surprise me either (for example, Hillsong would be more likely a Pure Flix release while The Bronze seems up IFC's territory).

I expect something similar with Clarius's three titles (though posters have been released for two of them).

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Buscemi wrote:That wouldn't surprise me either (for example, Hillsong would be more likely a Pure Flix release while The Bronze seems up IFC's territory).
Damn it, The Bronze is Relativity? That's the only film of theirs I really want to see.

New date:

90 Minutes In Heaven - 9/11/15 (New)

Another Christian drama, with the same story as Heaven Is For Real pretty much, gets slotted for semi-wide release (800) from the same distributor as Fireproof/Courageous.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Meanwhile, the long-delayed (it's had three other dates in the past) Mexican film Gloria (not related to the 2013 Chilean film) finally gets a new 7/17/2015 date. Looks like Picturehouse is dumping this one with no marketing (which is too bad as it sounded good and could have done well in Latino-heavy markets).

Also, Hell and Back is apparently now opening on 10/9/2015 (from 9/25/2015).