The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

And Unfriended proved that April is just as profitable as October or January for horror films.

One new date -

Universal has put My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 for 3/25/16, as counter programming against BvS.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

But wasn't Unfriended a bit of box office disappointment after all of the pre-release hype (Universal thought it was going to be the next Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity)?

Meanwhile, how many more sequels are going to go at that March 25th weekend? There's God's Not Dead 2 that Wednesday, Batman v. Superman on Friday and now a years too late sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding the same day.

Meanwhile, Paramount has scheduled World War Z 2 for 6/9/2017. I don't know if Pete Travis is still attached to direct.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi wrote:But wasn't Unfriended a bit of box office disappointment after all of the pre-release hype (Universal thought it was going to be the next Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity)?

Meanwhile, how many more sequels are going to go at that March 25th weekend? There's God's Not Dead 2 that Wednesday, Batman v. Superman on Friday and now a years too late sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding the same day.

Meanwhile, Paramount has scheduled World War Z 2 for 6/9/2017. I don't know if Pete Travis is still attached to direct.

I really enjoyed world war z, but what would they do with a second one?

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Unfriended didn't do as well as predicted, but it was another cheaply made Blumhouse movie. It only cost $1M and grossed $32M domestic.
Amityville is another Blumhouse movie that probably cost less than $5M, and Weinstein would be happy with $30M.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release dates:

The Gift 8/7/2015 (from 7/31/2015)
Kevin Hart: What Now? (follow-up to Let Me Explain) 10/14/2016
A Meyers Christmas 11/11/2016

Meanwhile, it looks like The Best Man Holiday is back at 4/15/2016 after being pulled from the schedule last month.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

WB with two new dates for next year...

Keanu (Key & Peele comedy) - 4/22/16
Going In Style (Zach Braff comedy, with Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine) - 5/6/16

That's two more comedies in April/May, making now 7 comedies in April alone, not to mention Neighbors 2 in early May.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I'm not sure if we needed Zach Braff to remake Going in Style (the original was directed by Martin Brest). There are probably ten better directors that could have been chosen.

Edit: Braff is only co-directing with Theodore Melfi (who also adapted the screenplay). And Alan Arkin is co-starring with Caine and Freeman.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release dates:

The Bronze 10/16/2015 limited, 10/23/2015 wide (from 7/10/2015 limited, 7/31/2015 wide) (I'm still surprised Relativity is intending to go wide with this one)
Tumbledown 2/12/2016 (Starz's first wide release since selling Overture Films to Relativity in 2010)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

The Green Inferno 9/25/2015

Universal will now distribute the film in 1,000 theatres through rent-a-distributor High Top Releasing (which was part of FilmDistrict pre-merger with Focus). The film must have been too graphic for the Gramercy label (though it has been rated R by the MPAA).

Other new dates:
Samba 7/24/2015
Z for Zachariah 8/21/2015
Three Generations 9/18/2015
Mississippi Grind 9/25/2015
Big Stone Gap 10/9/2015
Gloria TBA 2015 (from 6/5/2015)

Meanwhile, Leslie Mann and Judd Apatow have both pulled out of Bad Moms (currently scheduled for 4/15/2016). Looks like either Paramount will have to put something together in ten months or it will get pushed back and one of Paramount's unscheduled titles takes the new date (possibly Daddy's Home or That's What I'm Talking About).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

About time Green Inferno found a release date.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

And right after I mentioned it, That's What I'm Talking About has a new title: Everybody Wants Some (keeping with the song title theme of Dazed and Confused). Paramount is still shooting for the fall but I think the spring is more likely due to the baseball theme.

Meawhile, Fox Searchlight has scheduled Youth for 12/4/2015. Looks like Oscar campaigns for Caine and Keitel are in the cards.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

She's Funny That Way 8/14/2015 (from 8/21/2015)

Lionsgate is now releasing it (possibly acquiring the film for a fraction of the $4 million that was paid last year by Clarius) and will open day-and-date. I wonder if Lionsgate will also show interest in Clarius's other titles (My All-American, Cell, and The Outskirts).

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Paramount has dated Daddy's Home for Christmas Day 2015. (pumps fist for FY draft slate)

That weekend is insanely crowded now though. Chipmunks, Concussion, Joy, Point Break, Snowden and now Daddy's Home (not to mention it's the weekend after Star Wars). Something(s) is going to have to move.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

New release date:

Fifty Shades of Black 1/29/2016

Open Road has picked up Marlon Wayans' parody of Fifty Shades of Grey (seems like they were unfazed by A Haunted House 2 flopping).

As for Christmas Day, I've been expecting Joy to move up a few weeks. Can't see Fox opening two movies two days apart.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think they can say "Here Marlon, here's fourteen bucks. Make us a movie." That "flop" grossed $17 M on a $4 M budget, 90% of that was in the first three weekends when Studios make the highest percentage on the film, and it made another $6.6 M overseas. The first one was $40 M domestic on $2.5 M budget. If I were a studio I'd greenlight as many of these as I could. No real gamble at all.

Get a couple of these spoofs, a couple horror films, and a couple Christian films every year. Spend $20 M, make $100 M. That's the studio I want to invest in.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.