The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by Buscemi2 »

It would make sense for Sony to get into streaming for two reasons:

1. Their massive film and television library would be at one place instead of having to go to different channels (Hulu, Starz, Tubi, Showtime, etc.) just to watch a movie or show they own the rights to.

2. Outside of Marvel (of which they only get a distribution fee on the films they didn't finance), a lot of their films haven't done well. Uncharted underperformed after the years of anticipation, Morbius was a bomb, leading the decision to continue the Sinister Six series puzzling despite Feige endorsing it, and the less said about most everything else, the better. They seem to be convinced that Where the Crawdads Sing is going to be their big summer movie but at any other studio or streaming service, this one is a mere afterthought. Few are going to care about The Notebook with murder, even if Sony is claiming the book is a "worldwide phenomenon". In addition, Sony Pictures has long been thought to be on the selling block. I don't think taking a small percentage on Spider-Man has changed that idea.

As for Peacock, where the service first launched, nearly everything was free. You could find deep catalog Universal titles with no problem at all and if you were lucky, you could bypass the ads with a simple ad blocker on your browser. Then they figured out how to force ads and it's been downhill since.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I'm not sure I would call Uncharted an underperformer, considering video game adaptations (and vice versa for video game adaptations of movies) tend not to do well. In fact, it did a lot better than I expected, considering I don't think the budget was that high.

I expect Where The Crawdads Sing should do decently, if not be one of the breakout hits of the summer if it's good. The book is very popular - I would say it's the most buzzed about suspense novel since The Girl On The Train, at least.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I agree with Screen, it seems to me Uncharted didn't underperform. Everyone always expects video game adaptations to be bombs and it's been one of those rare times when one of those adaptations was a true blockbuster with $150M in their pocket, when no one would have been surprised if it has only taken in 75M.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But with all of the pre-release hype, the years of anticipation (of which due to the multiple pre-production starts and stops, couldn't have helped the budget), and a hot off of No Way Home Tom Holland in the lead, you would have thought it was going to hit $200 million domestic. Even with the odd decision to reissue it this weekend, it will make under $150 million. And Sony hasn't announced any concrete plans for a sequel, merely hints. This is a disappointment for a studio that needed a hit that wasn't Marvel or Ghostbusters-based.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on May 18th, 2022, 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Amazon has a remake of Goodnight Mommy coming out later this year, "Why?" is the only thing I can about this.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
May 18th, 2022, 10:53 am
But with all of the pre-release hype, the years of anticipation (of which due to the multiple pre-production starts and stops, couldn't have helped the budget), and a hot off of No Way Home Tom Holland in the lead, you would have thought it was going to hit $200 million domestic. Even with the odd decision to reissue it this weekend, it will make under $150 million. And Sony hasn't announced any concrete plans for a sequel, merely hints. This is a disappointment for a studio that needed a hit that wasn't Marvel or Ghostbusters-based.
What pre-release hype? If anything, the movie was viewed as a surefire bomb on account of how long it languished in development hell. Also, if you consider Ghostbuster: Afterlife a hit, how is a movie that made almost $200 mil more globally not one?
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Three Thousand Years of Longing will indeed be exclusive to theatres, as confirmed by its poster.

As for the definition of a hit and a flop, Ghostbusters: Afterlife has already had a follow-up confirmed while Uncharted hasn't. In addition, look at when the two films were released. Ghostbusters: Afterlife was released when no one knew when box office would recover outside of Marvel and though having the worst reviews in the franchise and the lowest box office for obvious reasons, was considered a hit by fans solely because it wasn't Answer the Call and pandered to said fans. But Uncharted came after No Way Home, which showed that a film could make billions after a pandemic. If Uncharted could get a fourth of those that saw the same lead as Spider-Man to see him as Nathan Drake, that's $200 million domestic. Plus, you could bring in some people who aren't into Marvel but just like adventure movies. Uncharted is a disappointment because it simply wasn't worth the long wait.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Universal has pushed Last Voyage of the Demeter to 8/11/2023 (from 1/27/2023), turning two Dracula movies in three months to...two Dracula movies in four months.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Crimes of the Future will be wide right away, it looks like, as I found my local Alamo Drafthouse has it scheduled for June 3rd and is doing advance sales for then.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 11:29 am
Crimes of the Future will be wide right away, it looks like, as I found my local Alamo Drafthouse has it scheduled for June 3rd and is doing advance sales for then.
Figured that could be the case. The most prominent indie theater in my area shifted the release date from the 10th to the 3rd a couple weeks back, but I wasn't sure if that meant it would go immediately wide or be a French Dispatch-esque situation where it opened in the top 10-15 markets before expanding. Neon must've figured the WOM would be poor

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It also looks like Watcher will indeed be wide. Those will be some low per-theatre averages.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Couple of titles that screened at Cannes have found distribution:
Aftersun: A24 (US and Canada)
Triangle of Sadness: Neon (North America)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Is it me or does Triangle of Sadness sound like the director just combined his two previous films and knew he'd get praise without trying to branch out?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Paramount has dated Smile, a thriller starring Sosie Bacon, Kal Penn, Jesse T. Usher and Rob Morgan, for September 30th

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was thinking that was going to be a Paramount+ exclusive. It doesn't seem like something that would play well as a wide release.