The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

New dates from Paramount:

A Quiet Place 2 - 3/20/20 (from 5/15/20)
The Lovebirds - 4/3/20 (from 3/6/20)
Playing With Fire - 11/8/19 (from 3/20/20)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It seems like The Ballad of Richard Jewell is closer to getting made. Warner Bros. picked it up out of turnaround from Disney (must be Clint's birthday present).

Now it's time to see if Hill and DiCaprio still want to star.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Neon will release Palme d'Or winner Parasite later this year. The deal had already been made at last year's American Film Market.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Parasite will open on 10/11/2019. This move makes it a strong contender for the renamed Best International Feature Film category at next year's Oscars (unless Netflix produces a foreign language film and promotes it extremely heavily).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It's now my most eagerly anticipated film of the year. I was chatting to someone from Neon about it and he likened it to Memories of a Murder

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Hunt has moved back up to 9/27/2019. Blumhouse is going to be cutting it close just to finish it.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Some Sony changes and new dates:

Escape Room 2 - 8/14/20
Fatherhood - 4/3/20
Uncharted - 12/18/20
Cinderella - 2/5/21

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Spectre wrote: Uncharted - 12/18/20
Please don't fuck this up. This could be the Indiana Jones of this generation. I'm so happy the David O Russell one didn't pan out. Pesci, DeNiro, and Wahlberg as a dad, uncle and son? Give me a fucking break. Sony just started a new film division headed up by video game people so they hopefully don't make this mistake again. Going with Tom Holland and starting with the flashbacks from Drake's Deception is the way to go. Now just find a good Sully and we're ready.

Besides Uncharted, Last of Us, and (maybe) God of War I can't think of any Sony first party titles that would make good adaptations.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's from the guy who did 10 Cloverfield Lane. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Personally, I have a feeling it's going to fall apart yet again. Sony was so set on making this with Seth Gordon and then Baywatch came out. Also, Sony's had terrible luck with their video game adaptations.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:It's from the guy who did 10 Cloverfield Lane. Not sure if that's a good thing.

Sony's had terrible luck with their video game adaptations.
It's supposed to be Indiana Jones-ish, less "scoundrel" more "con artist," so I really don't know what Cloverfield Lane does one way or the other. They got Rafe Judkins to help with the script, who I know as a contestant on Survivor but has done TV writing (Chuck, Agents of Shield, Wheel of Time). Hopefully they didn't just think "this guy was on that island show".

In the last decade Sony really only did Angry Birds and a couple Resident Evil movies and they did well on both. Only two others before that, Silent Hill and Final Fantasy (which was definitely a flop). Also, none of those were their own IP, so creative is split multiple ways. I have hope that taking a stronger control of their own titles will make a better product. This is just like what Marvel did. Hopefully it'll turn out the same way creatively.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The adaptations I was referring to were Ratchet and Clank (that flop which Sony passed on distributing and ended up killing the revived Gramercy) and that Spyro the Dragon movie that never got made. Also, weren't there plans for something based on Crash Bandicoot?

And they've been talking about making Juno the Game (what Dunkey calls The Last of Us) into a movie for a long while now. I think it's as good as dead at this point.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I mean, I call it The Last of Us, but of course that is it's name. It's a great game I've played through twice as well as the short prequel, basically a "zombie" Uncharted. It uses the same play style and engine and is from the same company. The co-protagonist is a young white lesbian that looks a bit like Ellen Page, so that makes it a "Juno movie?" I guess that means Zero Dark Thirty is a Jurassic World movie because Jessica Chastain looks like Bryce Dallas Howard? I guess Upgrade is part of Mad Max now?

And Sony did pass on all of those adaptations you were referring to, probably because they aren't great narratives. Which is kind of the point I was making...

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's a joke. Video Game Dunkey's a comedy series.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

G.I. Joe 10/16/2020 (from 3/27/2020)
Micronauts 6/4/2021 (from 10/16/2020)

And supposedly, a Scrooged remake might be slotted in at the 11/13/2020 slot. Kevin Hart is in talks to play the Bill Murray role.

Edit: Do the Right Thing will return to theatres on June 28th in an arrangement where some theatres (mainly AMC's) will play it for a week and others will show it only on the 30th. Also, most theatres will show the new 4K master that will be on the forthcoming Criterion Blu-ray while a select few will play it in 35mm.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Great, so I drafted two GI Joe mirages. Glad I didn't waste any early round picks on them.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)