The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Discuss weekly box office numbers, PTA numbers, and date changes.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: The Latest Date Changes 2: The New Batch

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Better dates for WW1984 and Charlie's Angels for sure. Don't care for Terminator, it'll most likely bomb wherever it is - Genisys proved that Arnold coming back isn't enough for a good movie.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

James Cameron's directly involved with the new Terminator but his produced by projects have never been as big as his directed by ones.

Meanwhile, I'm convinced Gemini Man's going to move to that spot vacated by Terminator. Joker will destroy it at its current date.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

An untitled film from Ari Aster has been scheduled for 8/9/2019. It reads like yet another haunted house movie (I'm surprised audiences haven't tired of these but then again, the horror community will never let go of slasher films) but it could be much classier than your typical Conjuring-type scare fest. Which likely means audiences will hate it (see Hereditary and The Little Stranger).

And another new date:
Grudge 6/21/2019 (from 8/16/2019)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New Marvel dates:

Black Widow 5/1/2020
The Eternals (Chloe Zhao's follow-up to The Rider) 11/6/2020

And a pair of new Universal dates:

Untitled Will Packer Comedy 11/8/2019 (from 11/15/2019)
Last Christmas (Emma Thompson comedy directed by Paul Feig) 11/15/2019

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Warner Bros. has picked up Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grow Old. Not sure if it will be a quick playoff before its television debut (BBC made a deal for TV rights before its premiere) or if they will go wide on the appeal of Jackson's name.

Also, one new limited date:

Arctic (Mads Mikkelsen in the snow) 2/1/2019

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Green Book will open five days early in 20 markets before expanding wide on the 21st.

Meanwhile, IFC will open Lars von Trier's critically panned The House That Jack Built on 12/14/2018. I'm surprised they're even releasing it at this point but the gorehounds apparently love it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Replicas 1/11/2019 (from TBA 2019)
Kingsmen 3 11/15/2019 (from 11/8/2019)
Frozen 2 11/22/2019 (from 11/27/2019)
Under the Silver Lake 4/19/2019 (from 12/7/2018)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

As Annapurna falls, it looks like the money people just want everything out of their hands. If Beale Street Could Talk will now open on 12/14/2018 (from 11/30/2018) and expand wide on Christmas Day. This gives Annapurna three Christmas Day releases (Destroyer is still scheduled to open limited but how long before it's pushed or sold off?). It will be interesting to see what becomes of their two 2019 releases or the next Bond film.

Meanwhile, Paramount will now make Looking for Alaska a miniseries for Hulu. Remember when only a few years back, this would have easily been a 3,000 theatre opener?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

IndieWire broke down the Beale Street move and Annapurna's rollout plan here http://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/if-bea ... 202018096/ While perhaps a little ambitious for a studio that is in the shitter financially, it's not quite as insane as it looks on paper. Basically, Vice is going wide right away on Christmas Day, Destroyer is opening in 3 theaters on Christmas to qualify for awards and won't go wide until January 25th and following its December 14 NY/LA opening, Beale Street will expand into around 125 theaters on Christmas and 600 on January 4th then go wide sometime in mid-January.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Annapurna is so bad at this... their days are numbered.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Deadpool Before Christmas is now titled Once Upon a Deadpool and will now open limited on December 12th for an exclusive thirteen-day run. Looks like there was some backlash from theatre chains over this cut.

Meanwhile, it seems that the Reagan biopic that Will Ferrell was going to make before conservatives killed it (they were convinced it was going to be a comedy) has been revived as a low-budget film with Dennis Quaid. TriStar will release it sometime next year.

Edit: The Silence has finally lost its date and is currently seeking a new distributor.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote: Meanwhile, it seems that the Reagan biopic that Will Ferrell was going to make before conservatives killed it (they were convinced it was going to be a comedy) has been revived as a low-budget film with Dennis Quaid. TriStar will release it sometime next year.
I think you're remembering this a bit wrong. It was a comedy. The family did not want it made and dementia/Alzheimer's groups were against it as well. The basis of the film was that Reagan had dementia and was convinced by an aide that he was playing the president in a movie. Many people other than the far right thought it was in bad taste.

THR: "The project has drawn condemnation from Reagan's children Patti Davis and Michael Reagan, who called the movie "cruel" and cautioned that "Alzheimer's isn't a joke," as well as the Alzheimer's Association, which is "appalled" at the comedy's premise."

"
The comedic bits then tumble into place: Reagan thinks Mikhail Gorbachev is Ernest Borgnine; Reagan announces, "Hey fellas, let's bomb Russia!" and his generals wonder if he's kidding. (He is.) Later, Reagan, complaining about an imagined wardrobe assistant named Libby, announces, "I want Libby gone. No more Libby."

That leads to the bombing of Libya.
"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ual-888804

That said, I'd have watched it.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

From what I got from the Black List blurb from a few years back, nothing noted that it was a comedy.

If this can't get made, I have to wonder how Channing Tatum's American history project for Netflix will get produced. That's supposed to be their version of Sausage Party. Meanwhile, I can't be the only person who thinks Vice should have been a comedy. A film about Dick Cheney, especially one produced by Ferrell, is just asking to be as ridiculous as possible.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Same article discussing exactly what you're talking about:

"If not an Alzheimer's comedy, then what is Reagan? The script, by first-time feature writer Mike Rosolio, landed in ninth place on 2015's Black List, having been singled out for praise by 25 Hollywood executives. It was popular enough in Hollywood circles that James Brolin, John Cho and Lena Dunham performed a live reading of the script last March."

"How could this many smart, proven Hollywood hit-makers have gotten it so wrong? Most of the criticism seems to have come from people who had only read the logline, not the script. THR obtained a copy of Reagan to see what Rosolio intended."

It looks like they didn't address it until there was a bit of an uproar. Like they get dollar sign/awards shine in their eyes and don't think about things like this. Twenty years ago Kevin Spacey was getting them awards, now he is a liability. This just went a lot quicker than that.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

New dates:

Judy 9/27/2019
Red Notice 11/13/2020 (from 6/12/2020)

And Warner Bros. will release They Shall Not Grow Old exclusively through Fathom Events on December 17th and December 27th. Looks like I'll have to retract my "never again" statement on Fathom.