2024-25 YEARLONG BOX-OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Re: 2024-25 YEARLONG BOX-OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

Post by Chienfantome »

I had my sight on Wolfs, I'm sure it's a good pick. Michael will only have two weekends in the game so it has to be big, but it could.
I'm starting to see à pattern for my choices in this draft, could be genius, could be dreadful. The films that have big potential but could be huge misfires. I like living dangerously. Round 5, I see a few easy 70M winners I should probably go to, but the campy side of late summer Borderlands tempts me.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I was originally going to pick Borderlands over Wolfs, so it's a good choice regardless. I think I panicked because of its proximity to Deadpool & Wolverine

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

There's still a handful of good picks available, tough choice but good position to be in. In the end I'm going with some Oscar bait, besides Tom Hanks always pulls in a few bucks.
I'll select Here
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Between the multiple delays and backlash over the trailer, I could see Borderlands being one of the bombs of the summer. It might not even hit $25 million.

As for Wolfs, I have a hard time with the title. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple renamed it like they did Project Artemis (though I think that had to do with a planned adaptation of the book Artemis at another studio).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 2:27 am
Hey guys I emailed my list to Tranny but I guess he didn't see it?

Anyway. My picks are...

Wolfs

And

Michael

First one is Pitt and Clooney, so should do solid numbers.

Latter is a risk, but could do Elvis numbers.
Sorry man, I blew it. I honestly didn't even think to look at my email last night. I won't repeat this mistake again if you require my services later in the draft.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm inclined to think Borderlands will be closer to making 25M opening week-end than totals.
People don't care about delays, general audiences don't even know about them. I've seen the trailer with friends who never heard about the film and thought it looked cool and fun and said they'd see it in theaters. And a lot of people will feel the same I'm sure.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

transformers2 wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 8:13 am

Sorry man, I blew it. I honestly didn't even think to look at my email last night. I won't repeat this mistake again if you require my services later in the draft.
No problems, dude, hope it's okay if I send you a list before I hit the sack either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how the draft goes.

In a way, it was good as I ended up picking Wolfs over Borderlands, which I'm happier about.

I don't' think Borderlands will be a bomb as Boosch says, but I do worry that it's too similar in tone to Deadpool 3 so the demand may not be as strong.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 8:25 am
transformers2 wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 8:13 am

No problems, dude, hope it's okay if I send you a list before I hit the sack either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how the draft goes.

In a way, it was good as I ended up picking Wolfs over Borderlands, which I'm happier about.

I don't' think Borderlands will be a bomb as Boosch says, but I do worry that it's too similar in tone to Deadpool 3 so the demand may not be as strong.
Of course. I'll actually check my email this time too!

As for Borderlands, I'm not particularly optimistic about its BO chances either but the game is popular enough to ensure that it has a floor of $40 mil or so
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

Plot and style-wise, I think Borderlands looks too similar to Guardians of the Galaxy as well as The Suicide Squad. And Eli Roth is no James Gunn.

Funny that Deadpool is being mentioned as Tim Miller directed both the first Deadpool and the Borderlands reshoots.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Suddenly I feel like all I'm looking at are movies that might make 40 million. Big drop off this year, imo.
I'll take Paddington in Peru. The first two were well loved, so let's hope this one gets a few families out to the movies.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Casting Channing Tatum as an astronaut in the 1960s space race sounds like the start of an SNL skit...

But casting him as an actor in the faking of the moon landing in the 1960s, with Scarlett Johannsen involved somehow? Well now I'm interested.

I'll take Fly Me To The Moon.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Some interesting picks the last round or two.

I think The Wild Robot could be a big hit. May not open huge, but will hold and hold across Sept and October.

The Horizons are huge risks, but given the popularity of Yellowstone I think the first one, at least, will actually be a surprise hit.

It Ends With Us is the kind of film that could struggle to make $20m, or make 3 times that. I've no clue. Same with Here, which could be a big oscary film, or a slightly more mainstream version of A Ghost Story and make 25m.

Can't believe Borderlands and Fly Me To the Moon weren't picked until Round 5. They should both do solid numbers, the latter possibly more so as it's a potential counterprogrammed sleeper hit

Smile 2, Smurfs, and Paddington are all solid picks and were high on my list.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I love the pedigree and concept of Here, but on the paper, it seems like a low-key film from Zemeckis rather than a film with BO potential. I think it was a bit too early to pick it.
It Ends With Us, like Six, I don't really know what to make of it.
Paddington is a solid pick, but in round 5, it might be a bit too soon considering the BO of the two previous films. The rest I think were expected picks at this time of the draft.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

No idea if it will be any good, but I will choose Trap.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Spectre
Borat

Post by Spectre »

Already starting to get thin here. I guess I'll take Speak No Evil. McAvoy has already shown his thriller chops and the original was pretty well reviewed so maybe there's some hope of a mild breakout.