2023-24 YEARLONG BOX-OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: 2023-24 YEARLONG BOX-OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

Post by Chienfantome »

transformers2 wrote:
May 1st, 2023, 2:22 pm
Oh, I do and that's a big part of why I avoided it
I'd be shocked if the film got delayed a third time. It has all the time in the world to get finished, and I'm sure Warner chose Christmas because that is exactly when the first one killed the BO. If they don't delay The Flash with all the Ezra Miller backlash, I can't see them abandon the coveted Christmas date for Aquaman. But we'll see, maybe you really have a surefire info. I hope you don't, Tranny !!!! :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
May 1st, 2023, 2:29 pm
2 things worried me.

The performance of Shazam 2 in realtion to Shazam, and the public opinion about Amber Heard.

That said, there doesn't seem to be huge competition at Christmas, so it should be good for $200m
The only thing that would worry me is if the film got delayed, but as I said, it's already been delayed too many times, I can't see Warner risk another one. If the film sticks to its date, considering the competition, it will have no problem making at the very least $200M, and in Round 2, that's a steal.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Oof - I already feel like i'm in the gamble territory. A weird year for movies ahead. Welp, I always like Christopher Nolan so I'll pick the movie I'm excited to see: Oppenheimer. Maybe it'll be as good as Barbie :)

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Chienfantome wrote:
May 1st, 2023, 2:33 pm
transformers2 wrote:
May 1st, 2023, 2:22 pm
Oh, I do and that's a big part of why I avoided it
I'd be shocked if the film got delayed a third time. It has all the time in the world to get finished, and I'm sure Warner chose Christmas because that is exactly when the first one killed the BO. If they don't delay The Flash with all the Ezra Miller backlash, I can't see them abandon the coveted Christmas date for Aquaman. But we'll see, maybe you really have a surefire info. I hope you don't, Tranny !!!! :lol:
The intel I have isn't delay-related, it's test screening-related. Now these rumblings could prove to be nothing and you could very well have just made a full-blown heist at this juncture of the draft, but they were certainly enough for me to not even consider it with either of my top 2 picks-especially with the arrow potentially trending down on superhero movies on the whole.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Truth is, I think Aquaman is one of the most laughably bad superhero films there is, so bad test screenings wouldn't scare me with anything Aquaman related. If the first one, as bad as it was, did as great as it did, I have hope for the sequel ! I aim for the steal !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Damn you Walleye! I was hoping Oppenheimer would fall to me. Even though Tenet bombed with covid, I think it's a sure thing to hit $150
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think Aquaman is good for $200M. Just like the first one, I think it has super weak competition over Christmas and January, and people will default to it. That being said, it will for sure be an awful movie, also like the first one lol

I wonder how the character will be relevant to the DCEU after The Flash supposedly resets the whole universe.

Barbie is a great pick, I would've taken it at my 1st round if Tranny didn't. I know I'll be there Thursday night for it, and save Oppenheimer for Saturday night in the biggest IMAX I can find in this damn state.

I'm glad someone took The Hunger Games spinoff because I think it'll bomb (in comparison to the original series anyway) and also be bad, but I would've been extremely tempted to take it on my next go-round.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Agreed on Hunger Games, Banks. Without J-Law it may be a bomb.

And welcome back to the draft!

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
May 1st, 2023, 5:52 pm
I think Aquaman is good for $200M. Just like the first one, I think it has super weak competition over Christmas and January, and people will default to it. That being said, it will for sure be an awful movie, also like the first one lol

I wonder how the character will be relevant to the DCEU after The Flash supposedly resets the whole universe.

Barbie is a great pick, I would've taken it at my 1st round if Tranny didn't. I know I'll be there Thursday night for it, and save Oppenheimer for Saturday night in the biggest IMAX I can find in this damn state.

I'm glad someone took The Hunger Games spinoff because I think it'll bomb (in comparison to the original series anyway) and also be bad, but I would've been extremely tempted to take it on my next go-round.
You're passing on the double feature?!?! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(That is a completely sensible approach that I would emulate if I wasn't a stubborn clown who is 1,000% committed to partaking in this historically absurd double bill).

As for Hunger Games, I believe in it for 4 reasons. 1.The book came out in 2020 and was a well-received hit. 2.The bulk of the creative team from the final 3 entries of the original series is back along with the writer of Catching Fire, which was the best received and most financially successful entry of the series. 3.The trailer got a strong pop online last week-seemingly indicating that there is at least somewhat of a notable interest in the series' return. 4.The pretty long runway that exists between its release and the next non-animated blockbuster (which is currently Wonka). Of course, there's bomb potential there, but I liked its upside more than Aquaman, Oppenheimer and a few other movies that haven't been selected yet.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Several good wild cards have gone already. Barbie, Snow White, and Hunger Games all have potential to be much bigger hits than they might seem at first blush. All female led, all different enough. If I had any guts I would have taken one of them instead of The Marvels - but I figure after GOTG underperforms Marvel is going to go all out to right the ship and figure out things before November. And it has to do better than Strange World did for me in the same time frame last year. Right?!?

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I’ll take Wonka. There’s a few options worth considering here but if this is any good, it could have really nice legs during the Christmas season.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Fast X.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Not sure why everyone is avoiding Spider-Man:Beyond the Spiderverse (getting bumped?) but ill take a swing at it. And for the start of R3 ill choose Madame Webb
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
May 2nd, 2023, 4:18 am
Not sure why everyone is avoiding Spider-Man:Beyond the Spiderverse (getting bumped?) but ill take a swing at it.
The fear of seeing it getting bumped I guess, yes. But if it sticks it's gonna be a great pick.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke is picking Transformers : Rise of the Beasts.
Fluctuat nec mergitur