2022-23 YEARLONG BOX OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: 2022-23 YEARLONG BOX OFFICE DRAFT LEAGUE

Post by numbersix »

Without doubt

Though I am pleased with taking The Menu as the very last pick of the game, as that's earned me $29m and should get to $35m

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The Menu really did end being up an A+ pick. Even if stuff like Plane, Heart of a Lion and Renfield end up doing alright, it's in line to be among the top 3-5 grossers from the final 4 rounds.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

The Menu is one of the more impressive successes this year, IMO. While it likely won't turn a huge profit from theaters alone, it has done way better than I expected, especially in terms of legs, likely grossing within 10 m (and 20 m worldwide) of the much more hyped Don't Worry Darling.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I hope to see The Menu at some point. It looks intriguing.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think we can credit Disney's ad blitz for The Menu doing well, showing once again why good marketing is very important and how the industry cutting their promotional departments is going to hurt in the long run. To me, it looked almost exactly like The Hunt from a few years back.

By the way, can we retire the Most Dangerous Game plotline if the industry isn't going to do anything that sets each new one apart from the other? Same thing with the Groundhog Day plotline.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
December 15th, 2022, 10:52 pm
I had fun with it. The performances are pretty great all around and there's some really good dark humor throughout-especially in the second half after what Ralph Fiennes' character's motives are. It's definitely worth a watch.
Buscemi2 wrote:
December 15th, 2022, 11:06 pm
By the way, can we retire the Most Dangerous Game plotline if the industry isn't going to do anything that sets each new one apart from the other? Same thing with the Groundhog Day plotline.
How they framed "the Hunt" in the trailer is a blatant misdirect. Without going any further into detail to prevent spoilers, the kitchen staff hunting and killing the rich guests is not even close to what the actual plot is.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
December 15th, 2022, 11:06 pm
I think we can credit Disney's ad blitz for The Menu doing well, showing once again why good marketing is very important and how the industry cutting their promotional departments is going to hurt in the long run. To me, it looked almost exactly like The Hunt from a few years back.

Shrykespeare wrote:
December 15th, 2022, 10:52 pm
I agree that the heavy marketing for The Menu helped the film break out a little bit (I think I saw the trailer before every movie for a solid 2-3 months). Little competition and positive buzz (or at least a buzz around it, as I'm not sure how many people besides critics really liked it; part of the reason I think so is that the marketing is a little bit misleading. Most of the movie is not exactly a take on The Most Dangerous Game, the way that some of the marketing would lead you to believe.).

I would highly recommend it, though. It's one of my favorite films of the year so far, though (probably my second or third favorite film of the year so far, depending on if you consider Worst Person In The World a 2021 or 2022 film).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/