2018-19 FULL YEAR DRAFT - POSTGAME REPORT

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

2018-19 FULL YEAR DRAFT - POSTGAME REPORT

Post by Shrykespeare »

Time to take your final praises, guys... or your final lumps.

ROUND ONE

Both Walleye and UDM called it by taking Incredibles 2 at #1, as it powered to $618M domestically.

The second best-pick ended up being Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom, which finished 2 inches ahead of Captain Marvel simply because ol' Cap ran out of weekends. Still, the fact that JAS was able to nab Marvel at #7 is one of the big reasons he won Division A.

Both Six and myself took the Week 2-and-on take of Infinity War at #4 and #5 in our respective divisions, earning ourselves $340M. (Of course, if we'd had the foresight to take 3 whole days of Endgame, that would have been another $357M for our slates, but more on that later.)

Deadpool 2 also turned out to be a good R1 pick at $324M by Brockster and aquamann.

Course, there were some MAJOR turkeys in Round One. Chien and weissac bombed out big time by betting the moisture farm on Solo: A Star Wars Story. I mean, why not? Oh, because it sucked? It made all of $213M, which has to be an all time low for a #2 pick.

Then there were Mary Poppins Returns and Fantastic Beasts: The Grimes of Crindlewald, both of which failed to top $180M despite monster hopes.

Now let's all beat up on poor leestu who took The LEGO Movie 2: The Next Part at #9 in A, earning himself a whopping $105M. Everything's not awesome, dude.

ROUND TWO

Nico made up for Grindlefarts by following it up withAquaman, which ended up being the sixth-biggest earner of the season, at #11 in B. leestu redeemed his first pick by doing the same at #12 in A.

Kudos to whose who nabbed $200M earners in both divisions - Venom, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Mission: Impossible - Fallout, proved to be solid picks. Hotel Transylvania 3 and Ocean's 8 were also okay.

The biggest losers in Round 2 were Six and Surfer, who sadly hoped Dark Phoenix would hold its position. It didn't, and that hurt them early. Dang, Surfer, you might have had a shot at Top 2 with another pick...

And Shaan... sorry about Nutcracker's $54M. The movie lived up to its name. (ouch)

ROUNDS THREE AND FOUR

Winners: JAS and Nico, who saw the writing on the wall and nabbed Endgame before the rest of us. And they won. Fuckers... :D

Chien and Banks also hit with Into the Spider-Verse's $190M
Chien and UDM with A Star Is Born's $215M
Nico and Spectre with Halloween's $159M

Losers: UDM (and, in R5, Chien) with Mortal Engines' paltry $16M.

leestu and Brockster with Holmes and Watson's $30M
Spectre and transformers with First Man's $44M
Walleye and weissac (in R5) with Wonder Park's $45M

ROUNDS FIVE AND SIX

Big winners: Six and Nico with Bohemian Rhapsody's $216M

JAS and UDM with Crazy Rich Asians' $174M
Geezer and Surfer with Us's $172M
Buscemi and Banks with The Meg's $143M
Walleye and Surfer with The Nun's $117M

Big losers: A - JAS with The Girl in the Spider's Web's $14M; B - UDM with The Darkest Minds' $12M

A - Shaan, Overlord, $21M
B - Brockster, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies, $29M
A - Chien and B - weisac, Robin Hood, $30M
B - Brockster, Slender Man, $30M

ROUNDS SEVEN THROUGH TEN

Best: A - Six and B - Brockster, Book Club, $68M, 9th round

Will do the rest later.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Re: 2018-19 FULL YEAR DRAFT - POSTGAME REPORT

Post by Spectre »

Largely a draft to forget for me (probably my worst ever) and if it ended there, I could've easily been demoted based on how badly it went.

Mary Poppins was a dud of a 1st rounder and First Man at the back end of the 3rd was one of the worst picks in the draft (damn flag controversy). The Predator (5th) was a dud, Ad Astra (6th) got moved (thanks James Gray) and Welcome to Marwen (7th) was one of the biggest bombs of the year. Through my first 7 picks only Venom and Halloween were worth a sniff. Of my rounds 10-16 picks, 4 of them didn't hit the calendar. I almost waivered The Green Book but decided to save my #1 priority for something "bigger" that never came. Obviously didn't know it would have that run or I wouldn't have thought twice. Instead, I ended the year at the top of the claim list. What a waste.

Fortunately I took some solid earners in the later rounds: Madea (8th), Breaking In (9th) and Escape Room (12th) which was possibly my best pick. Those picks gave me the juice needed to at least have a shot at surviving.

The waiver wire is where I saved my season. I churned through garbage on my slate like crazy to end up with films like The Upside, Five Feet Apart, and Dragon Ball Super: Broly that were all massive successes for waiver pickups. In total I added over $200M to my slate via the wire which I didn't even think was possible. And somehow, I managed to end up over $1B for the 5th straight season which I also didn't think was possible for most of the year.

Weird season and just a horrendous draft for me... but all that terribleness got me the 2nd pick this year so it's not a total loss :P

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Thanks for the report Shryke !

Overall I'd say even though he ended getting only 2nd place, the most balanced slate was Walleye's. Jas got the late unstoppable surge but Walleye dominated for a long time, and he got films in late rounds or on the WW that got solid numbers. Only The Spy who dumped me was a misstep.

On a personal level, it's been a very satisfying year, despite the big disappointment of Solo in the 1st round. I thought it was a steal when I drafted it in 5th place but in the end... it wasn't. But in the end I got 4 films that each brought me $200M, so that gave me a strong slate in the end, because the reste wasn't great, except Instant Family and La Llorona. La Llorona was one of the best late rounds pick I ever got, around $50M for a 15th round pick.
Too many disappointments this year, but my rounds 2, 3 and 4 were rock solid and helped me get the podium once again. I love the podium and I want my place on it each year !!

I'm pretty sure this year my first 4 rounds won't bring me $200M each. My Round 1 and 2 will, no doubt, but it will be more difficult with my round 3 (Maleficent 2, still possible) andalmost impossible with my round 4 (Bad Boys for Life), so here's hoping my rounds 5-10 will be stronger than last year. I think they will be.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

For a while, I kept thinking Dragon Ball Super: Broly was subtitled Brony but realized that made no sense at all. An anime about My Little Pony fans just sounds terrible.

As for my slate, Action Point can jump into rusty barbed wire and break its dick like Johnny Knoxville did when the bicycle landed on him. That may be the last time I trust the trailer reaction of 80's kids who thought Ready Player One was a watchable movie.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I learned a big lesson last year. In my research I never fully examined the production status, which led to me taking Dark Phoenix and Chaos Walking. This year I tried to do a little more research on sites like Deadline to double check if the release date was just a placeholder or if there's any negative buzz that may lead to reshoots or delays. If I had done that last year I would have picked Hotel Transylvania 3 over Dark Phoenix and Overboard over Chaos Walking, and would have made over $200m more on my slate. I was proud to pick up Bohemian Rhapsody, which felt like it HAD to be huge, and The Mule because Clint's last film would surely succeed (although admittedly part of me thought it could hit $150m), and they really saved my slate.

This year I'm less convinced I have a surprise hit on my hands, so hopefully everything I have picked will deliver.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Six you rocked the Waiver Wire. That's often saved my bacon as well. This year I grabbed 5 titles, Little and Prodigy being the best but No Manches Frida and Unplanned did better than I could have expected as well. Kudos to Jas for having the stones to grab Marvel with a side of Marvel and bet on a final 6 week push to the top. I'm pretty happy with my picks. MIssed on one badly, missed on another not quite as badly, but overall pretty happy. A first 3 years ago, and a second this year. Like Chien, Top 3 is addicting. I refuse to give up my spot this year! Let's go Mr. Rogers! Be the Blind Side and I'm riding good vibes to the win this year.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I don't think Mr. Rogers is "white savior" enough to do Blind Side numbers. Especially with Frozen II opening that same day.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.