2019-20 Full Year Slates (Division A)

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Walleye413
Marv

Re: 2019-20 Full Year Slates (Division A)

Post by Walleye413 »

Nico I was thinking of you when I saw the Terminator trailer myself. Sorry my friend, it did not inspire.

The Abominable trailer, however, looked amazing. I'm super excited about that one. My third round picks have been crap so I'm hoping I finally scored a good one.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Post by NicodemustheSage »

It doesn't even look terrible. It looks BORING. The last several "Terminator" films have been many things -- and, I think, on the whole far better than their mediocre reputations, tho never on nearly a par with the franchise's initial two entries -- but, NEVER BORING. Not one shot, not one actor, not one bit of dialogue in any way excites me to see "Terminator 5 or Maybe 3" -- meaning I suspect a "Dark Fate", or at least a dim one, is likely in store. There's just no heart, brains, or balls to this.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think the issue with The Biggest Little Farm is its overplayed trailer. Instead of focusing on the nature photography and the scene-stealing animals (Neon's been trying to push Emma the pig as the next Babe), it focuses on the transplanted farmers who are bound to be viewed by many as nothing more than clueless hipsters (I haven't seen the film yet so they could be more intelligent than the marketing makes them out to be). I keep getting reminded of the dreadful No Impact Man, where a guy forced his family to enter an experiment where they leave 0% carbon footprint in a calendar year but he defeats his entire purpose by blogging the whole thing and having a film crew film it all. That's the plot of a drama about abusive parents, not an inspirational documentary.

As for Terminator, I haven't seen the trailer but maybe the honeymoon with Tim Miller is over. He reminds me a lot of David Leitch (ironically, the guy who took over Deadpool), a hack who got lucky with one movie and has gone on to milk that success as long as he can.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Yeah, that is definitely NOT how "The Biggest Little Farm" plays out. They're not overwhelmed hipsters, they're (at first) neophyte farmers with a steep learning curve... One they (mostly) successfully surmount, after reasonable struggles.

I highly encourage you to see the film. And, everyone. It deserves so much better than its box office. It is my favorite film of the year so far.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Wow, JAS. You did it again... "A Quiet Place 2" is scheduled for release in March 2020.

Nicely done.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think Biggest Littlest farm is actually going to expand. I just saw a standup at AMC. I don’t think it’s played at any AMCs of a 150 mile radius of me yet.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

The Biggest Little Farm should be expanding- it just reached the arthouse theater closest to me.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Really? It has disappeared from all theaters near me, except Alamo Drafthouse. That's excellent. It needs some freaking marketing.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

BOM says it expanded from 45 to 180 this weekend, and its solid figures should see it expand more.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Opens on Friday here. I was convinced it would expand wide this weekend but I guess Aladdin and The Secret Life of Pets 2 previews would have been too much to overcome.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Aquamann, "The Lighthouse" looks like a brilliant late-Round pick, very cool.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Aquamann2001
Fletch

Post by Aquamann2001 »

Thanks yeah hope so although I feel like black and white will limit the box office to 25 mil possibly.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm going to say The Lighthouse makes way less than The Witch. The latter made money but it feels like only a vocal minority actually liked it during its theatrical run.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The Lighthouse won't make a dime.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I was all over The Lighthouse until I realized it was in black and white. That'll really restrict its upside (even if it's as awesome as it sounds).