Full Year Draft - possible expansion - EVERYONE WEIGH IN

All league discussion for the currently in-play box office seasons.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Walleye413
Marv

Re: Full Year Draft - possible expansion - EVERYONE WEIGH IN

Post by Walleye413 »

Spectre wrote:If Aqua has convinced Chien and Walleye to switch to Option 3, we're looking pretty close to evenly split between Options 2/3.

It's clear Option 1 isn't going to win so maybe we figure out definitive structures for both options (e.g. Option 2: 11/11 split, 15/15 rounds, Option 3: 10/12 split, 16/14 rounds) and then have a run-off where everyone has to vote on one?
Works for me. I think your example here is pretty good actually. I move we call for a vote! Let's bust some parliamentary procedure around here.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Could also do 3 divisions.

A 8 players
B 8 players
C 6 players

or

A 8 players
B 7 players
C 7 players

Top three, bottom three. Makes it much more competitive I think.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Thanks aqua for chiming in, your thoughts were mine also.

I think the clear words everyone should get excited about is: lets spice it up

And if UDM is ok with it, ill pay for his fund for prize pool to make it a little prize for both divisions.

edit: I think 3 divisions is even spicier - however it makes things too easy with more picks for each player available. Perhaps we go down that path if/when we get to 30ish players
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Thanks aqua for chiming in, your thoughts were mine also.

I think the clear words everyone should get excited about is: lets spice it up

And if UDM is ok with it, ill pay for his fund for prize pool to make it a little prize for both divisions.

edit: I think 3 divisions is even spicier - however it makes things too easy with more picks for each player available. Perhaps we go down that path if/when we get to 30ish players
Still can do 15-16 rounds and it'd make free agents possible worthwhile pickups.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ive never had a single worthwhile pickup from free agency-for a number of reasons, so i dont like that idea- depending on how many films left on the table are available and their expected box office take.

That said, if more films were on the free agency list it might change the scope of the game and make the waiver wire MUCH more important- also spicy. Gives more weight to waiver wire to pull the trigger early on a semi reliable forecast or take a risk with something out many months away- both have obvious benefits- which in turn changes the WW more often.

That said, if we do go down the path of option 3, i think its maybe better to trial this idea and if it works wonders then option 4 is probably a no-brainer for the next season.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I'd be OK going to 3 divisions if we had more players. I really don't like the thought of thinning out the leagues under 10. In my other drafting experience (fantasy sports), the thinner the league, the less exciting the draft.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Yeah, I feel like we're at least 2-4 players away from 3 divisions. But it'd be fun to get there.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm against a 3rd league unless we manage 10 per league, which feels like the ideal number.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Besides American Reunion, which I used my #1 position on, the most I've gotten out of a pickup is $2-4 M I think? Most of them were under that or moved themselves. If there were titles that were $20-30 M on HSX it gives more of a chance for a breakout.

And the system would incentivize using the wire. If there's 8 in B and, say, the top three move up to A, bottom three move down to C, and 4+5 stay put you're going to fight to stop demotion. Since Godzilla moved I've had zero incentive to do anything. In A you can pretty much tell if you're in trouble of dropping after the Christmas movies clear up, so if you aren't and there's no way you're getting first, what's the point? With three of eight dropping you're going to have to pay attention even then.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm going to start a new thread with the options for voting.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)